• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dogboy

IDPA RSO / NRA RSO
    Oct 22, 2007
    Patuxent River
    The longer I have my Benchmade 710 the less I like it. I love the blade shape, size and feel but the opening and closing is terrible. It is constantly hard to open and if closed with force the blade tends to pop back out of the handle. I just got it back from Benchmade because I thought maybe the axis springs were weak but the hitch in opening is worse and the closing is no better. I'm going to tear it apart myself and see if I can get it the way I want it. If not it's going up for sale. Pity cuz I was really hoping to like it.

kstone, don't give up on it too quickly. I like to think I've got quite a bit of experience with Benchmades (I probably have more money in Benchmade knives than I do in guns! :o ). Before you give up on it, PM me and let me take a look at it. We can meet up at Sanner's sometime, or outside the gate there, or wherever. They're good knives, and the 710 is one of their best. I would almost bet you find something if you take it apart yourself. If not, give me a yell.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    kstone, don't give up on it too quickly. I like to think I've got quite a bit of experience with Benchmades (I probably have more money in Benchmade knives than I do in guns! :o ). Before you give up on it, PM me and let me take a look at it. We can meet up at Sanner's sometime, or outside the gate there, or wherever. They're good knives, and the 710 is one of their best. I would almost bet you find something if you take it apart yourself. If not, give me a yell.

Thanks man I appreciate it. You shooting or ROing the state match this weekend? I'll be there tomm and sat if that works for you I'll throw it in my pocket with some torx drivers.

dogboy

IDPA RSO / NRA RSO
    Oct 22, 2007
    Patuxent River
    How late does the match go tomorrow? I'll be stuck at work until 170@, most likely. But if you'll still be there, I can come by then. If not then, I should be able to drop by Sat. I'm not involved in the match, unfortunately. Too much going on leading up to it. But I have no problem dropping by, as it turns out my Saturday is not booked.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    How late does the match go tomorrow? I'll be stuck at work until 170@, most likely. But if you'll still be there, I can come by then. If not then, I should be able to drop by Sat. I'm not involved in the match, unfortunately. Too much going on leading up to it. But I have no problem dropping by, as it turns out my Saturday is not booked.

PM'd you. Thanks

dogboy

IDPA RSO / NRA RSO
    Oct 22, 2007
    Patuxent River
    What does everyone think of ZT knives? I was thinking about a 0770cf.

ZT's are great knives. Both their old and newer stuff. I have the 0770, but in aluminum, not carbon fiber. It is a nice little knife. Blade came razor sharp, and it has a STRONG opening spring. Lock-up is great as well. The Elmax steel that it uses works great, IMO. Probably in my top 5 favorites -- others being M390, M4, S35VN... not necessarily in that order, although M390 is definitely at the top. And yes, I know that is only 4; not sure what after that.

The only thing that may be considered marginal on it is the flipper isn't very big, which is great once the blade is open. However, I find myself often missing it on the first attempt, and having my finger just slip off it without getting the blade to open.

I personally tend to prefer their frame-locks, as I've kinda got an aversion to liner-locks. I have quite a few liner-locks, but don't carry them nearly as much as frame-locks, or axis-locks.

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    Thanks! s90v, maybe? LOL, I just bought the Benchmade Osbourne 940-1 in that. That's why I mention s90v.:D I will probably never use a knife defensively. So, I don't really need a giant knife. I am a newbie, as if you can't already tell. I've just been reading anything I can find, to help steer my purchase's. I would really like the 0770, in m390. But I don't know if it's really worth the extra $40. ($220) vs. ($180) In all honesty, I EDC a $18 Gerber, with a 3.50", tanto, combo edge blade. And that's been fine for me. YOU KNIFE GUYS ARE TO BLAME for my new obsession. :lol2: I think I've got it bad too...:banghead:

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    Please, talk me out of this. M390 and carbon fiber, I'm on the edge...:ohnoes:
    Zero Tolerance.jpg
    I REALLY want it, but $220?

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    IMAG9359_1.jpg
    I went ahead and reshaped the contego and MAN, what a difference. Just removing that sharp hump in the middle made a world of difference, but reshaping the choil area a bit to be more steep and sinking in the pinky area a bit, along with knocking that sharp edge off the inside of the handle has made this a new knife. I also dehorned the thumb ramp a bit on the top so that it's not uncomfortable to choke up and place my thumb on the spine of the knife anymore. I haven't decided on whether I want to re-black the liner where it's been ground down, or remove the black from the rest of it yet...but I'll make it uniform here before too long.

I don't know why benchmade didn't make it like this to begin with. In my opinion, it's the best blade available(in cpm-m4 and reverse tanto), best lock available(love the axis), and it's made of quality materials...the handle just always sucked ergonomically. Now the knife is what it should have been from the start. Huzahh!

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    You guys SUCK!!!! I bought it... You failed to stop me. :sarcasm::innocent0

I'm jealous. Been eyeing a 770CF myself. I LOVE a good sheepsfoot blade for EDC, and hard to beat Carbon fiber and M390 for looks or performance. Only thing I'm not completely sold on is the linerlock and AO, although should be easy enough to pull the spring. The lock strength isn't an issue for daily carry, and they get 2 scales instead of a framelock's 1, so they look better, and can be more comfortable, but I've just been spoiled by my Axis knives, and like the thin secure feel of a framelock knowing I'm holding the lock engaged, a bad cut from a linerlock failure years ago doesn't help either.

dogboy

IDPA RSO / NRA RSO
    Oct 22, 2007
    Patuxent River
    Please, talk me out of this. M390 and carbon fiber, I'm on the edge...:ohnoes:
    View attachment 149624
    I REALLY want it, but $220?

You guys SUCK!!!! I bought it... You failed to stop me. :sarcasm::innocent0

I would not have been able to talk you out of it. Having a couple of Elmax blades, and one M390, I've been blown away by the edgeholding of the M390. I literally used it for 3 or 4 months, almost daily, and it took that long before it stopped shaving hair off my arms. I didn't baby it. I was cutting string (yeah, not abuse :D ), paracord, opening plastic bags, dog food bags, cutting various plastics, etc. None of which should dull any decent knife. But what got me was its ability to slice up numerous cardboard boxes over that time and still be shaving sharp. When it quit shaving, I took a spyderco ceramic stone (brown), made probably 5 swipes per side of the blade, and it was shaving again. That was back in, I believe, January, maybe February. I've cut more boxes. I tried it this morning when I pocketed it, and it is still shaving my arm. Not much more I can say, except I will be extremely shocked if you ever look at this purchase with remorse.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I'm jealous. Been eyeing a 770CF myself. I LOVE a good sheepsfoot blade for EDC, and hard to beat Carbon fiber and M390 for looks or performance. Only thing I'm not completely sold on is the linerlock and AO, although should be easy enough to pull the spring. The lock strength isn't an issue for daily carry, and they get 2 scales instead of a framelock's 1, so they look better, and can be more comfortable, but I've just been spoiled by my Axis knives, and like the thin secure feel of a framelock knowing I'm holding the lock engaged, a bad cut from a linerlock failure years ago doesn't help either.

sooo....just go with this then.....
    http://www.bladehq.com/item--Zero-Tolerance-Hinderer-0566CFM390--29228

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Some of my latest,

Attachments

• IMG_3365.jpg
      IMG_3365.jpg
      106.2 KB · Views: 300
    • IMG_3349.jpg