• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Definitely need a rubberized grip with my sweaty, clumsy hands, so titanium handles and paracord don't work for me. Folders don't work for me either, almost guillotined my fingers off once. This was from Spartan tactical in Frederick (opened recently within the last year).

Attachments

• 20150504_222004-1.jpg
      20150504_222004-1.jpg
      86.8 KB · Views: 509
    Last edited:

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    A couple pretty pics in this article ...

http://www.alloutdoor.com/2015/05/03/difficulty-evaluating-blade-steel/

I know I am a steel junkie. Gimme the datasheet for some new crazy material (Beta Ti, anyone?) and I am happy. Recently someone emailed me about evaluating blade steels and wanted me to distinguish more precisely between something like S30V steel (which is very good) or M390 (which is a truly superior steel). I feel confident that M390 is better than S30V, but I can’t say by how much. ...

but the comment by the metallurgist at the end is worth the read and addresses the above question ...

I'm gonna stick my neck out here as an actual, factual metallurgist.

Much of what I hear in reviews of blade steel is hokey.

More scientifically, with the overwhelming majority of blade steels are martensitic stainless steels. Meaning they can be quenched to a meta stable phase called martensite which then gets tempered to tempered martensite. Some steels like H1 are precipitation hardening, but that is a different issue for now.

The No.1 element that has an effect on the strength and wear resistance of steel is carbon. You can't have a high hardness - high wear resistance steel without high carbon content - approaching 1% or more. These steels are more expensive to make blade out of, be it a 440C or a S90V because even in the annealed (soft) condition they can't be fine blanked. Most knives today are blanked, the blades are punched out of a sheet of steel with a die. High carbon knives are usually LASER cut, which is more expensive.

After carbon, the knives are made stainless because of the addition of chromium, which also effects hardenability (how easy the steel quenches to martensite). Molybdenum and manganese have effects on hardenability and toughness to. Vanadium has an effect on grain size and forms carbides, so do tungsten.

Lastly is grain size. The super steels are PM (Powder Metalurgy) which means that they have very small grains. Small grains increases strengthen and make the knife easier to sharpen. Also part of grain size is carbide size. Fine carbides make for a sharper, harder, stronger knife than coarse carbides. The heat treatment and various alloying elements in steel have an effect on how the carbides form, coarse or finely dispersed, in the grains or at the grain boundaries.

The strongest, sharpest knives are going to have very fine gains, with very fine and evenly dispersed carbides, mostly iron carbide, then vanadium and maybe tungsten carbides.

This is why comparing super premium steels is difficult and full of hokey.

The full comment is about twice the above except at the linked webpage and talks specifically about some of the different blade steels.

Last edited:

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I got the bug from you! Now, can I barrow some lunch money from you, for about the next 3 months?:rofl:

I have a giftcard at cabelas that I need to burn.... they have the ZT 770CF but with the Elmax blade. I'm assuming the M390 steel is better but by how much?

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    I've had this for about 20 years. From what I can tell, it's an Endura 3, made in ATS-55. Is this rare? The lock no longer holds the blade securely, and it's a little dull. Might see if Spyderco, can bring it back from the dead. Any thoughts?

Endura in VG10. I like both of my VG10 Spydercos.

smokering

Day Walker
    May 16, 2008
    AA
    The way this state is headed pretty soon there are going to be lots of boating accidents carrying blade collections. :sad20:

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    Of my 2 new folders, fit and finish is just a hair better on the Benchmade. But only a hair. I like the blade better on the ZT. But the carbon fiber on the Benchmade is a little more refined. (Smoother) Both locks are very solid, but again, the edge goes to Benchmade and its axis lock. The handle of the Osbourne feels more ergonomic and comfortable in my hand. I absolutely love the blade assist on the ZT, however, and the geometry of its blade. It also came a little sharper. My EDC Gerber has a combo blade, and I've really grown to appreciate the serrations, so I will most like like carry the Osbourne more often. I absolutely love both of these knives. Happy Birthday to me!
    image.jpg

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Of my 2 new folders, fit and finish is just a hair better on the Benchmade. But only a hair. I like the blade better on the ZT. But the carbon fiber on the Benchmade is a little more refined. (Smoother) Both locks are very solid, but again, the edge goes to Benchmade and its axis lock. The handle of the Osbourne feels more ergonomic and comfortable in my hand. I absolutely love the blade assist on the ZT, however, and the geometry of its blade. It also came a little sharper. My EDC Gerber has a combo blade, and I've really grown to appreciate the serrations, so I will most like like carry the Osbourne more often. I absolutely love both of these knives. Happy Birthday to me!
    View attachment 150078

Happy birthday, indeed.

I'll look forward to further commentary on the pair, as you use and carry them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pureblood

Latest threads

Top Bottom