• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Thank you for the info. Will be calling them on Tuesday.
    It's one of the better locations in downtown Frederick. If you time it right, you can usually find a parking spot fairly close.

I like their inventory. They got everything from fancy shmancy dining cutlery to some of the nicest custom fixed blades I've ever seen and everything in between. if you just need an inexpensive folder to keep in your pocket, you'll be impressed by the selection.

TinCuda

Sky Captain
    Apr 26, 2016
    Texas
    Ronin Katana Euro #9 Arming Sword
    This is made from 1075 spring steel, it's light, fast, and tough. This thing really impressed me.

20221226_225024small.jpg

20221226_225118small.jpg

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Original US Govt issued bayonets & scabbards, WWI through Vietnam.

M1905s, M1, M4, M5, and M7. Ages range from 1907 through 1971.

No repos and two of the scabbards are Detroit Gasket Company.

In addition to the US bayonets there is a Japanese for the Arisaka, a Brit for the Enfield No 4 Mk I, a Mosin-Nagant 91/30 bayonet and a numbers matching bayonet and scabbard for the German Kar98k.

Bayonets_11AUG22.jpeg

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Now that autos are legal to own and carry in PA, I can show off a couple of mine and a new one. Just got a blue/black Guardian Tactical Recon 035, and love it, very useful drop point blade in Elmax, great blade to handle ratio for an OTF, the action is flat out the best OTF ever, nice and positive like an Ultratech, but way smoother and lighter.

76l9tk.jpg
    20230106_142825.jpg
    20230106_143043.jpg

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    Nice. I’ve been looking for a guardian tactical to check out in person. I have microtechs and some benchmade autos. The infidel is my least favorite. Would you take the guardian tactical over the Ultratech?

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    The infidel is cool, and iconic, but not great for peaceful use. The shootout is more practical, the Autocrat is a better action and defensive blade. I really like the Guardian Recon so far. Comparing it to my Ultratech is hard, they are so different. The Ultratech has jumping around the handle sides, the GT has a little texture on the flats, but slippery on the edges. The GT has a slick action far lighter than the UT's stiff AF springs. The GTs button is OK, but barely grippy enough, the MTs will shred skin before it slips.

The GT blade is wider with tougher Elmax steel, and a thicker grind. The UTs blade is beautifully finished, thin edge and razor sharp in M390 that usually holds an edge better. The GT has a 5/8" shorter handle, but same blade length and no stupid glass breaker. The GT is well finished, but not quite as perfectly machined as the UT

Funny thing is if the Ultratech had the GTs action, comfortable shape, and shorter handle sans glass breaker, it would be an epic EDC for slicing and delicate tasks as a high end pocket knife. If the Guardian Recon had the UTs grippy jumping and button, and maybe even the glass breaker, it would be an epic hard use EDC. Still kinda want to handle a Heretic Manticore, another sweet OTF

Last edited:

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Added a Spyderco Street Beat to the collection. Nice for a smaller fixed blade. They did a great job on the G Clip sheath. Very positive retention and it's adjustable for vertical, canted, and horizontal carry.

Street Beat.jpg

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    The infidel is cool, and iconic, but not great for peaceful use. The shootout is more practical, the Autocrat is a better action and defensive blade. I really like the Guardian Recon so far. Comparing it to my Ultratech is hard, they are so different. The Ultratech has jumping around the handle sides, the GT has a little texture on the flats, but slippery on the edges. The GT has a slick action far lighter than the UT's stiff AF springs. The GTs button is OK, but barely grippy enough, the MTs will shred skin before it slips.

The GT blade is wider with tougher Elmax steel, and a thicker grind. The UTs blade is beautifully finished, thin edge and razor sharp in M390 that usually holds an edge better. The GT has a 5/8" shorter handle, but same blade length and no stupid glass breaker. The GT is well finished, but not quite as perfectly machined as the UT

Funny thing is if the Ultratech had the GTs action, comfortable shape, and shorter handle sans glass breaker, it would be an epic EDC for slicing and delicate tasks as a high end pocket knife. If the Guardian Recon had the UTs grippy jumping and button, and maybe even the glass breaker, it would be an epic hard use EDC. Still kinda want to handle a Heretic Manticore, another sweet OTF
    Have been buying/selling/trading to get more OTFs since PA made them legal to carry. Finally got one that was "OMG it's perfect" from the moment I took it out of the box. Heretic Manticore E, SMKW exclusive blue camo CF with 3.25" Magnacut blade.

from left to right:

Guardian Tactical recon 035:

This knife is very nearly perfect. The company was started by former Microtech Engineers being Tony Marfione (Microtech founder) tends to be an A-hole. The action is the smoothest, and in function the best, the machining inside is as beautiful as the Ultratech's machining on the outside, smooth mating surfaces, ceramic bearings and a steel plate under the button. The sear/locks are both on the same side(bottom), so the blade/handle ratio is good, and the handle lacks the MT's bends(open sear on top, close sear on bottom). The slots machined on the flats are really nice looking, and function well to add grip, the lack of texture around the edges do make it a little slippery. The blade shape is very useable, but lacks some of the appeal and individuality of the others. The button is comfortable, light rounded jimping, a nice concave ramp to deploy, but for unknown reasons the front is rounded convex and slippery to retract. All in all this is a very well made knife that is probably the best EDC for the money of the bunch, the shortest length stowed, and the best action.

Benchmade Infidel:

Had this Infidel for a little while, still IMO one of the best defensive OTFs ever made. Great dagger shape, practical double edge dagger/chisel ground edge, handle has a good shape and texture to stay put in the hand, unlike the others that use a single spring and single pair of sears/locks, this uses 2 of everything, 2 locks to open, 2 to close, 2 springs, It's robust as hell. D2 is good tough steel, was great 15 years ago, now it's outdated, and more rust and wear prone than the others. The button is textured well, placed on the scale face, decent spring rate, but relatively long travel, and the action while solid and reliable is a little sluggish with more play than the others. It is the first I would choose for defense, last I would choose for peaceful EDC.

Microtech Ultratech drop point:
    The Microtech Ultratech is very well made, the machining is gorgeous, blade grind is perfection, but the action kinda sucks. It's definitely the hardest to use out of all these, really heavy spring, sharp uncomfortable, yet beautiful button, and a little grit. I did take it apart, found light machining marks on the sear interface and an edge on the small coil spring under the button, smoothing these out, adding a little thin oil, and it's smooth, better, but still heavy. Having tried about a dozen UTX70,85, Troodon and Combat Troodons, the spring rate in the action varies quite a bit from heavy to OMFG I need 2 hands. Mine is twards the heavy end(but not the worst) for an Ultratech.

Heretic Manticore E SMKW exclusive "Nightcrawler edition"

Heretic Manticore, OMG, the pics don't do this justice. Made by Anthony Marfione Jr, who left his dad's company Microtech to start his own. At $375 it's not cheap, but has significant upgrades from the plain aluminum $300 base model, but is less expensive than the usual $500+ premium models. 3.25" blade, 4.75" handle, 3oz, 8" OAL, the "E" model is between the S(2.5") and X(3.75"), and an absolute perfect size for EDC about the same as a Para2. This one has a marbled blue/carbon fiber scale that looks good, the titanium clip with ceramic ball is perfection, secure, and draws smooth as hell from the pocket. It combines comfortable texture on the flats AND edges to be secure and comfortable in the hand. Unlike most, the CF scale is on the clip side, the back is a very nice, but plain black anodizing. The button is textured and machined with steps like the infidel, but has more traction from the checkered top, more comfortable than Microtec's button, but plenty of traction, and a good shape for control.

The action is second only to the Guardian Recon(and not by much), and lacking the shiny plate it looks better, spring rate is dead on to be easy to use, but opens or closes with a solid clunk like the Microtech, nice short travel too. The blade is in Magnacut, pretty much the best knife steel around, perfect sharpened edge. It is a gentle hollow ground recurve with a nice flat ground swedge, darker acid etched bevels and shiny grinder finished flats, and a light stonewash(IMO the final stonewash is the only thing I could do without). It has a tiny glass breaker ball inlayed into the end of the handle above the lanyard hole, unlike Microtech's giant monstrosity, I don't need a glass breaker, but at least this one isn't in the way. SMKW has a torture test with the large version where they hammer it through a 2X4, then baton it to split that 2X4, and chop a brick in 1/2, 0 mechanical damage to the knife, and after resharpening, was good as new. This is a tough classy knife, easily the best EDC of the bunch, and the most beautiful, and IMO the best engineering, materials and build quality. I need more in my collection from Tony junior and Heretic knives, currently trading stuff to fund an X model.

Boker plus Falcon SMKW exclusive

FInally the odd one out of the bunch, a Boker Falcon in Carbon fiber/M390 SMKW sprint run. It is a serious upgrade in materials from the base model, but still under $100. The action is good, it's a flat out copy of Microtech's design, but lighter spring, and easier to deploy. The sears and plates are hardened, they use small coil springs, which are not as good as the Infadel and Recon's leaf springs, but they work, and it has a lifetime warranty. This is a wonderful beater OTF, it's got a useable recurve/drop point blade not unlike the Manticore, but at 1/4 the price. The stepped texture on the flats is sufficient, and the Carbon fiber adds some flare, with a little oil the action is strong and feels good, but not the smooth solid quality "bank vault door" feel of the high end brands. Oddly enough this has the best button shape(although far from the best aesthetically), decent texture, a nice long ramp to deploy and use as a thumb ramp, a shorter steeper ramp to retract that is easy to grab with the tip of your finger. I love carrying fine knives, but this will probably be the one I use the most.
    20230111_120715.jpg
    20230111_120836.jpg

Last edited:

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Have been buying/selling/trading to get more OTFs since PA made them legal to carry. Finally got one that was "OMG it's perfect" from the moment I took it out of the box. Heretic Manticore E, SMKW exclusive blue camo CF with 3.25" Magnacut blade.

from left to right:

Guardian Tactical recon 035. This knife is very nearly perfect. The company was started by former Microtech Engineers being Tony Marfione (Microtech founder) tends to be an A-hole. The action is the smoothest, and in function the best, the machining inside is as beautiful as the Ultratech's machining on the outside, smooth mating surfaces, ceramic bearings and a steel plate under the button. The sear/locks are both on the same side(bottom), so the blade/handle ratio is good, and the handle lacks the MT's bends(open sear on top, close sear on bottom). The slots machined on the flats are really nice looking, and function well to add grip, the lack of texture around the edges do make it a little slippery. The blade shape is very useable, but lacks some of the appeal and individuality of the others. The button is comfortable, but a little slippery. All in all this is a very well made knife that is probably the best EDC of the bunch, the shortest length stowed, and the best action.

Had this Infidel for a little while, still IMO one of the best defensive OTFs ever made. Great dagger shape, practical double edge dagger/chisel ground edge, handle has a good shape and texture to stay put in the hand, unlike the others that use a single spring and single pair of sears/locks, this uses 2 of everything, 2 locks to open, 2 to close, 2 springs, It's robust as hell. D2 is good tough steel, was great 15 years ago, now it's outdated, and more rust and wear prone than the others. The button is textured well, placed on the scale face, decent spring rate, but relatively long travel, and the action while solid and reliable is a little sluggish with more play than the others. It is the first I would choose for defense, last I would choose for peaceful EDC.

The Microtech Ultratech is very well made, the machining is gorgeous, blade grind is perfection, but the action kinda sucks. It's definitely the hardest to use out of all these, really heavy spring, sharp uncomfortable, yet beautiful button, and a little grit. I did take it apart, found light machining marks on the sear interface and an edge on the small coil spring under the button, smoothing these out, adding a little thin oil, and it's smooth, better, but still heavy. Having tried about a dozen UTX70,85, Troodon and Combat Troodons, the spring rate in the action varies quite a bit from heavy to OMFG I need 2 hands. Mine is twards the heavy end(but not the worst) for an Ultratech.

Heretic Manticore, OMG, the pics don't do this justice. Made by Anthony Marfione Jr, who left his dad's company Microtech to start his own. At $375 it's not cheap, but has significant upgrades from the plain aluminum $300 base model, but is less expensive than the usual $500+ premium models. 3.25" blade, 4.75" handle, 3oz, 8" OAL, the "E" model is between the S(2.5") and X(3.75"), and an absolute perfect size for EDC about the same as a Para2. This one has a marbled blue/carbon fiber scale that looks good, the titanium clip with ceramic ball is perfection, secure, and draws smooth as hell from the pocket. It combines comfortable texture on the flats AND edges to be secure and comfortable in the hand. The button is textured and machined with steps like the infidel, and checkered top, more comfortable than the Microtec, but far more comfortable.

The action is second only to the Guardian Recon(and not by much), and lacking the shiny plate it looks better, spring rate is dead on to be easy to use, but opens or closes with a solid clunk like the Microtech, nice short travel too. The blade is in Magnacut, pretty much the best knife steel around, perfect sharpened edge. It is a gentle hollow ground recurve with a nice flat ground swedge, bead blasted bevels and shiny grinder finished flats and then a light stonewash(IMO the final stonewash is the only thing I could do without). It has a tiny glass breaker ball inlayed into the end of the handle above the lanyard hole, unlike Microtech's giant monstrosity, I don't need a glass breaker, but at least this one isn't in the way. SMKW has a torture test with the large version where they hammer it through a 2X4, then baton it to split that 2X4, and chop a brick in 1/2, 0 mechanical damage to the knife, and after resharpening, was good as new. This is a tough classy knife, easily the best EDC of the bunch, and the most beautiful, and IMO the best engineering, materials and build quality. I need more in my collection from Tony junior and Heretic knives, currently trading stuff to fund an X model.

FInally the odd one out of the bunch, a Boker Falcon in Carbon fiber/M390 SMKW sprint run. It is a serious upgrade in materials from the base model, but still under $100. The action is good, it's a flat out copy of Microtech's design, but lighter spring, and easier to deploy. The sears and plates are hardened, they use small coil springs, which are not as good as the Infadel and Recon's leaf springs, but they work, and it has a lifetime warranty. This is a wonderful beater OTF, it's got a useable recurve/drop point blade not unlike the Manticore, but at 1/4 the price. The stepped texture on the flats is sufficient, and the Carbon fiber adds some flare, with a little oil the action is strong and feels good, but not the smooth solid quality "bank vault door" feel of the high end brands. I love carrying fine knives, but this will probably be the one I use the most. View attachment 395917 View attachment 395918
    Knerd

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008

from left to right:

Guardian Tactical recon 035. This knife is very nearly perfect. The company was started by former Microtech Engineers being Tony Marfione (Microtech founder) tends to be an A-hole. The action is the smoothest, and in function the best, the machining inside is as beautiful as the Ultratech's machining on the outside, smooth mating surfaces, ceramic bearings and a steel plate under the button. The sear/locks are both on the same side(bottom), so the blade/handle ratio is good, and the handle lacks the MT's bends(open sear on top, close sear on bottom). The slots machined on the flats are really nice looking, and function well to add grip, the lack of texture around the edges do make it a little slippery. The blade shape is very useable, but lacks some of the appeal and individuality of the others. The button is comfortable, but a little slippery. All in all this is a very well made knife that is probably the best EDC of the bunch, the shortest length stowed, and the best action.

Heretic Manticore, OMG, the pics don't do this justice. Made by Anthony Marfione Jr, who left his dad's company Microtech to start his own. At $375 it's not cheap, but has significant upgrades from the plain aluminum $300 base model, but is less expensive than the usual $500+ premium models. 3.25" blade, 4.75" handle, 3oz, 8" OAL, the "E" model is between the S(2.5") and X(3.75"), and an absolute perfect size for EDC about the same as a Para2. This one has a marbled blue/carbon fiber scale that looks good, the titanium clip with ceramic ball is perfection, secure, and draws smooth as hell from the pocket. It combines comfortable texture on the flats AND edges to be secure and comfortable in the hand. The button is textured and machined with steps like the infidel, and checkered top, more comfortable than the Microtec, but far more comfortable.

The action is second only to the Guardian Recon(and not by much), and lacking the shiny plate it looks better, spring rate is dead on to be easy to use, but opens or closes with a solid clunk like the Microtech, nice short travel too. The blade is in Magnacut, pretty much the best knife steel around, perfect sharpened edge. It is a gentle hollow ground recurve with a nice flat ground swedge, bead blasted bevels and shiny grinder finished flats and then a light stonewash(IMO the final stonewash is the only thing I could do without). It has a tiny glass breaker ball inlayed into the end of the handle above the lanyard hole, unlike Microtech's giant monstrosity, I don't need a glass breaker, but at least this one isn't in the way. SMKW has a torture test with the large version where they hammer it through a 2X4, then baton it to split that 2X4, and chop a brick in 1/2, 0 mechanical damage to the knife, and after resharpening, was good as new. This is a tough classy knife, easily the best EDC of the bunch, and the most beautiful, and IMO the best engineering, materials and build quality. I need more in my collection from Tony junior and Heretic knives, currently trading stuff to fund an X model.

FInally the odd one out of the bunch, a Boker Falcon in Carbon fiber/M390 SMKW sprint run. It is a serious upgrade in materials from the base model, but still under $100. The action is good, it's a flat out copy of Microtech's design, but lighter spring, and easier to deploy. The sears and plates are hardened, they use small coil springs, which are not as good as the Infadel and Recon's leaf springs, but they work, and it has a lifetime warranty. This is a wonderful beater OTF, it's got a useable recurve/drop point blade not unlike the Manticore, but at 1/4 the price. The stepped texture on the flats is sufficient, and the Carbon fiber adds some flare, with a little oil the action is strong and feels good, but not the smooth solid quality "bank vault door" feel of the high end brands. I love carrying fine knives, but this will probably be the one I use the most. View attachment 395917 View attachment 395918

That beats the arse off of my old concord I had.

hdatontodo

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2012
    So. Central Balto Co
    Freedom Armory in PA said on Jan 11 that they'll be talking to Microtech soon about ordering more automatic knives. George at FA usually deals with knives.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    I like freedom armory, but not their prices. Everything they sell is full retail or above, including the Microtechs.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I like freedom armory, but not their prices. Everything they sell is full retail or above, including the Microtechs.
    indeed, they have always charged the "near the MD line" tax. Check with Lanco tactical in Etown, nice drive, near a couple other gun shops, usually have Microtech and Benchmade knives under MAP pricing $279 for Ultratechs, current MAP $310-$330. I f you want to pay MAP, you can order from basically anywhere online. Only shop I have seen MORE expensive than Fredom is Country knives in Lancaster, huge selection, tons of sprints and customs, but IMO it's a guy's personal collection pretending to be a store, like most of the good stuff is double street pricing, they have a website if you want a good laugh.

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    Lanco never had any microtechs in stock the entire time my daughter was in college there. They were the first to pop up on Microtech’s website for dealer locator. I’ll have to check them out again. E-town has some nice bars and restaurants.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Lanco never had any microtechs in stock the entire time my daughter was in college there. They were the first to pop up on Microtech’s website for dealer locator. I’ll have to check them out again. E-town has some nice bars and restaurants.
    Was there a couple weeks ago, they were basically trying to get anything they could from Microtech, and pushing autos heavily. They are also one of the shops that would sell autos to anyone before the PA law change. This is a post of theirs from the book of faces.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230111_212231_Facebook.jpg
      Screenshot_20230111_212231_Facebook.jpg
      236.8 KB · Views: 68

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I forget who made 'em but I recall wanting to get a side-opening automatic that utilized a bike chain type opening mechanism that was very resistant to wear, spring fatigue or opening failures.
    Ratworks chain drive, made by Guardian tactical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom