• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    OK, been too embarassed to show this so far, but I guess today is the day. Robert Steele damascus bowie, stag handle with silver and turquoise accents.

MANY years ago, I had dream of gun room or man cave and me building a glass top display coffee table for in the room to display some knives... never came to happen. But I ran across this knife one day a looong time ago and thought it would make a good center piece for that table... I was young(er) then, what can I say.

guard is signed with 'Robert Steele'. what little I can find seems like he also went by Bob Steele and lived in Arizona. nothing since about 2016 as far as I can tell.

100% useless knife, I mean, what the hell would you ever do with this thing...lol. it's 14" from stem to stern. But I keep on a shelf in my office to look at from time to time. and I did sharpen it so it would keel I guess if it had to.

I keep thinking I'd like to dye the sheath dark brown or black but never get around to it.

Attachments

• Steele bowie 1.jpg
      Steele bowie 1.jpg
      105.3 KB · Views: 80
    • Steele bowie 2.jpg
      Steele bowie 2.jpg
      110.3 KB · Views: 86
    • Steele bowie 3.jpg
      Steele bowie 3.jpg
      106.8 KB · Views: 85

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I know a lot of people who have collectable but impractical knives. If you like it, cool, it serves its purpose.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I really want a Randall Bowie or stiletto, but I'm not dropping that much money for something I'll never use.

TinCuda

Sky Captain
    Apr 26, 2016
    Texas
    I bought this from a local Mayan vendor who was set up directly at the base of the Temple of Kukulcán in Chichen Itza. The blade is made from obsidian and the guy who sold it to me said that he had made it himself by hand. A modern hand made production from a local Mayan craftsman. I thought it was pretty cool.

20210623_183514small.jpg

20210623_183441small.jpg

20210623_183407small.jpg

steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    just for fun... several years ago I bought this for my daughter as a joke, but the joke's on me cause she liked it...lol. assisted opening using the mermaid's tail. I even carried it once for 'knife show and tell' on boys night out...

Attachments

• Mermaid 1.jpg
      Mermaid 1.jpg
      99.4 KB · Views: 72
    • Mermaid 2.jpg
      Mermaid 2.jpg
      135.9 KB · Views: 71

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    The Manticore X arrived today from SMKW, and it does not dissapoint. I fell in love with the E model soon as I got it, probably the best OTF I've handled. These "nightcrawler SMKW exclusives are on sale for $400(normally $560) and a SMKW exclusive with machined Ti/ceramic ball pocket clips and blue fat carbon marbled CF cover scale, black Aluminum chassis and recurve blade in CPM Magnacut. Only regret is that I didn't get the 2.5" S model before they sold out in order to have the full set. They have a video out absolutely beating the piss out of one of these, hammering through a 2X4 then batoning through that 2X4 and a brick. Basically unheard of durability in an OTF auto, all with 0 mechanical damage, and just minor dulling of the edge, a quick sharpen and it was shaving sharp again.

The chassis is heat treated aluminum anodized black, the outside is a matte sandblasted finish and the inside / track is machined/polished. The OTF mechanism is an improved Microtech design being Heretic is owned by Tony Marfione jr after he left his father's company (Microtech). The internal parts are laser cut and/or machined and well finished, lockup is solid, and it springs open or closed with a solid thud. The action is WAYYYY better than Microtech, or really any other OTF. There are ceramic bearings pressed into the chassis that ride on the polished underside of the switch, along with the very fine finish on the actuator plate, locks, rails and contact surfaces inside it's really smooth. The switch on the X takes just under 4# to actuate, compared to 3.5# on the smaller E model and 5.5# on my broken-in Ultratech(was 7# new). The switch has a nice short travel at .450" and is 1.125" long compared to the E model's really short .375" travel/.965 long and the Ultratech's .500" travel and 1.25" long skinny button. The E's action IMO is perfection, light, crisp, short travel, smooth actuation, the X isn't broken in yet, but still really good, smooth, will probably settle into the same weight, but the longer travel is needed to stretch the spring further to power the larger/heavier blade.

There is plenty of traction on the flats and edges of the handles with a comfortable shape, there is a small ball inset in the end of the handle as an unobtrusive glassbreaker. The blade is a work of art, subtle recurve, .125" thick with a hollow ground edge bevel and flat ground swedge both are acid etched, the flats are a satin grinder finish. This is in CPM Magnacut, pretty much the current state of the art in blade steel. At 4oz the X is pretty light for a 3.75" blade and 5.5" handle, it is a big knife, but not huge and very useable, the .475" thickness of both Manticore's are comfortable in the hand, but skinny and carry well. The E's 2.8oz, 3.125" blade and 4.75" handle is perfect for EDC, same handle size and edge length as a Spyderco Para2, but lighter and way way cooler. The larger X model is still plenty carryable, and does have more blade, it is good for those that like larger EDCs, and only $25 more than the smaller E. Only real difference other than the size is the action in the X, still great, but not quite as light, smooth and short as the E's perfect action.

20230118_153443.jpg

20230112_140445.jpg

Last edited:

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    You're killing me here.

SMKW won't sell me an automatic knife because Maryland, even though my W&C allows it.
    Ye cutlery is a Heretic dealer, a few others can order or ship other Manticore models. other than that, not sure if there is a shop that could order the SMKW exclusives for you instead of driving to Tennessee.

Last edited:

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    OK, been too embarassed to show this so far, but I guess today is the day. Robert Steele damascus bowie, stag handle with silver and turquoise accents.

MANY years ago, I had dream of gun room or man cave and me building a glass top display coffee table for in the room to display some knives... never came to happen. But I ran across this knife one day a looong time ago and thought it would make a good center piece for that table... I was young(er) then, what can I say.

guard is signed with 'Robert Steele'. what little I can find seems like he also went by Bob Steele and lived in Arizona. nothing since about 2016 as far as I can tell.

100% useless knife, I mean, what the hell would you ever do with this thing...lol. it's 14" from stem to stern. But I keep on a shelf in my office to look at from time to time. and I did sharpen it so it would keel I guess if it had to.

I keep thinking I'd like to dye the sheath dark brown or black but never get around to it.
    not sure why this ^ posted. Less sure how to get rid of it.
    I bought this from a local Mayan vendor who was set up directly at the base of the Temple of Kukulcán in Chichen Itza. The blade is made from obsidian and the guy who sold it to me said that he had made it himself by hand. A modern hand made production from a local Mayan craftsman. I thought it was pretty cool.

View attachment 396456
    View attachment 396457

View attachment 396458
    chikken Pizza!!!

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Thank you.

However, earlier I found this one - doesn't have the fancy clip, though.

I have to admit that my fascination with kerambit form as well as OTF autos makes this one sort of appealing, though not all that useful really:

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Thank you.

However, earlier I found this one - doesn't have the fancy clip, though.

I have to admit that my fascination with kerambit form as well as OTF autos makes this one sort of appealing, though not all that useful really:

The Roc is pretty awesome, got to handle one when they came out. Problem is, no ring, and no way to open in reverse grip, so it really isn't a Karambit, and can't use a lot of Karambit techniques. Hawksbill blades still pierce and draw cut like nothing else, but can't really slice. I do kinda want the Cleric 2, a 4.25" blade in a skinny OTF dagger. The milled Ti clips are available for $80, although nothing really wrong with the plain clip. I really like the look of the SMKW models, but it's expensive for something you will actually use, or potentially loose. The standard models pop up from time to time on bladeforums or Facebook knife trading groups for low $200s in new or nearly new shape, and an E model at that price would make a fantastic EDC knife for the money.

lax

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Baldwin
    What is everyone using to organize/store their knives? I keep 2-3 in rotation on my dresser leaving most of them in the safe
    14283D97-1231-4C4C-ACEE-31AB120C248F.jpeg

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Have my good stuff in a safe on top of one of my gun safes, Less expensive knives are in trays, big stuff and swords are in the gun safes or on display. It's a 20x16x9" laptop safe for $100 from BJs with clear stackable trays from target, a small dessicant block to keep them dry and a push light. Figure each tray holds around 20-30 folders. Currently have probably 6 or 7 fixed blades and 50 or 60 folders inside the safe with room to spare. I trade some, so I keep the boxes in a storage tote. I have carried everything I have at some point, but keep the valuable stuff clean. I have maybe 5 favorite EDC users and defensive blades that I carry most days.

20230120_135915.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scooby225

Latest threads

Top Bottom