• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hooligan82

Ultimate Member
    Nov 2, 2011
    Baltimore county
    I have a couple RSKs, got a first run carbon fiber Hogue RSK MK1 in Magnacut, it is a phenomenal knife. By far the best version of a "Griptilian" ever made. Pretty much the blade that sold me on Magnacut. I carried it for months, cut everything with it, factory edge was still a razor when I rotated to other carry knives.
    Do you know if they are making another run of these?

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Do you know if they are making another run of these?

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk
    Probably not, was $210, sold out in a couple hours, never to be seen again. It's a rare sprint run, and as the first Ritter magnacut blade had a very hard 64hrc heat treatment, most newer runs were run softer at 61-62. Have had collectors offer $400, being it still has a flawless factory edge and no wear on anything. I turned it down, being I love the knife and still carry it on occasion.

Worsley

I apologize for hurting your feelings!
    Jan 5, 2022
    Westminster
    My KA-BAR collection. One KA-BAR Red Spacer, one Ontario Knife Company current issue, and one Camillus #13 WWII issue.
    IMG_0225.jpeg

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Did some routine upkeep/maintenance this afternoon. Very rare that I have all together at the same time. Perfect time for a family photo. Here's the current Benchmade collection.

Benchmades.jpg

gforce

MDS Supporter
    Aug 22, 2018
    I took a smattering of pocketknives, fixed blade, and axes to Burrbenders in edgewater. Let me just say wow, I’m impressed. The knives are wickedly sharp and almost mirrorlike on their edge bevels. The hatchet…the hatchet is shaving sharp and I can make out my features in the reflection off of it.

The remarkable part is everything I brought to him was absolutely beat. Especially the hatchet
    IMG_0012.jpeg

TinCuda

Sky Captain
    Apr 26, 2016
    Texas
    Must be a helluva trick to get that lined up right on a whetstone
    I know that you are joking but I used to sharpen skates years ago at a part-time job while I was in school. You clamp the skate into a fixture to hold it in line with a grinding wheel. You shape the grinding wheel edge for either a figure skate cut or a hockey skate cut. Then, you run the skate blade lengthways down the blade and it cuts the grinder wheel's shaped u-shaped groove down the blade's edge. The machine that I used let you pre-shape the grinding wheel to whatever blade depth that you wanted.

I know, TMI. sorry.

Screenshot 2023-10-11 220958.png

gforce

MDS Supporter
    Aug 22, 2018
    I know that you are joking but I used to sharpen skates years ago at a part-time job while I was in school. You clamp the skate into a fixture to hold it in line with a grinding wheel. You shape the grinding wheel edge for either a figure skate cut or a hockey skate cut. Then, you run the skate blade lengthways down the blade and it cuts the grinder wheel's shaped u-shaped groove down the blade's edge. The machine that I used let you pre-shape the grinding wheel to whatever blade depth that you wanted.

I know, TMI. sorry.

View attachment 435174
    That was a fascinating read. I was not familiar with how an ice skate was sharpened, nor that figure skating and hockey require different cuts (I don’t ice skate a lot, clearly)

edit: posted before I meant to.
    That is quite a cool process. I never thought about how you would cut out the double edge on a skate. Always interesting in learning something new, thanks for sharing.

Last edited:

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I took a smattering of pocketknives, fixed blade, and axes to Burrbenders in edgewater. Let me just say wow, I’m impressed. The knives are wickedly sharp and almost mirrorlike on their edge bevels. The hatchet…the hatchet is shaving sharp and I can make out my features in the reflection off of it.

The remarkable part is everything I brought to him was absolutely beat. Especially the hatchet View attachment 435156
    A sharp knife is a happy knife! :) Using a sharp knife is an absolute joy! Especially when carving steak.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo

I know, TMI. sorry.

View attachment 435174

also, a flat stone is used to clean up the sides for any mushrooming of the steel over the sides.

I have Blackstone setup at home and have been sharpening skate blades for about 10 years now. At one point in time, all 6 of us (including my wife) were playing hockey and $6 a sharpening at the pro shop was killing me (mostly the waiting for it to be done). Now its down to my daughter's last year in HS and I still play beer league (until my body can't take it anymore). Sharpening is an art all to itself.

The skates are more expensive than the cheap $20 Kershaw I daily carry. I swear, when I put my hand down at my pocket and realize I did not bring my folding knife, I feel naked.

gforce

MDS Supporter
    Aug 22, 2018
    A sharp knife is a happy knife! :) Using a sharp knife is an absolute joy! Especially when carving steak.
    Absolutely, he did several other knives that I didn’t snap a picture of. Including an 8” chef, I’m excited to grab some steaks and test it out.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I was an early adopter of the Kershaw Livewire, IMO the best practical OTF for actual carry. Love it, found some new colors out, and being a sucker for blue found a decent auto-coupon code for Knifeworks and got it. Blue handles, black hardware, blackwash blade, magnacut steel, pretty much an upgrade in every way, and for less than my original black model.

20231020_120332.jpg
    20231020_120457.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom