• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    S(Will Not)HTF. If it does in suburbia, good luck. All this prepping stuff may help you in a remote area, but in a populated area I think the most "prepared" will be a target.

That's out side of the topic. I am simply requesting a sub-forum to post about preparedness topics like medical, canning, etc.

Dec 31, 2012
    A section dedicated to natural disaster preparedness covering short term medical, food, water, and of course protection topics would not be too far off base.

Along the lines of what to do for a Katrina style event when social order is temporarily lost.

Bigdtc

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 6, 2007
    South Carolina
    There was one, DD214 removed it in part because it went too Burt Gummer and in part because it was under-used iirc.

This.. It was tried here before.. Why give the mods more to do when you can do all of this at MdPrep.com?? Good folks over there. In fact, most members there are members here as well.. C'mon over and have a look around.. :thumbsup:

MonkeyPunch

Feb 23, 2013
    Montgomery County
    I wouldn't mind a "how to deal with emergency situations" subforum which could include SHTF-type stuff, but I don't want a "zombie apocalypse subforum".

It would make more sense to prepare for something like Katrina, where you lose power or there is societal unrest. Talking about stuff like which power generator to buy/how to prepare your food-stocks/set up defensible positions/locate water/bug out/source teamwork would be really valuable for a variety of emergencies. Most people I've encountered in MD (although I'm sure this excludes most of MDS) don't even know to prepare 2+ weeks of food/water for every person in the household (as a minimum).

As a side-note, for all the people who have seen "Doomsday Preppers", how many of you have seen "The Colony"? It proves two things: 1) Communication and leadership is the foundation of any successful group; 2) hippy-liberal scientists can make awesome flamethrowers.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I agree, the mods would be overwhelmed with de-evolution ... you'd never keep it tidy

MDS is very "democratic"

md123

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    I wouldn't mind a "how to deal with emergency situations" subforum which could include SHTF-type stuff, but I don't want a "zombie apocalypse subforum".

Why? If you don't like the subforum, don't click on it. I never visit the Delaware community subforum. There is a thread about MY LITTLE PONY that has 22k views. I think it's ridiculous, so I only click on it to ridicule the participants (mostly Browning guy). I don't think the mods should yank the thread....

Furthermore, most people who talk about zombies are using them as EUPHEMISMS for the way people behave w/o food and water. Did you have your TV on during katrinia/LA riots?

If the mods don't think there will be enough activity, so be it. But to avoid making the sub forum for fear of over-zealous prepping/zombie threads is ridiculous. I think it would be 80% useful exchange of ideas- things anyone can use- and 20% fun/joking (zombies etc).

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    The Volkswagen mountains? Damn Germany is a bit far for SHTF. You at least got a Helichopper?
    I don't usually go "negative" on this board, but...

I see you are in Glen Burnie. I'm in the city, 21211. There's no way we are getting out to the VW mountains if the sh!t goes down. You have a better chance than me, of course, but still, zombies at intersections and marauding gangs of desperate section 8'ers...ugh, it would bw ugly out there. So, go ahead, make a run for it and draw them away...it's one less group eying up my house :D

MonkeyPunch

Feb 23, 2013
    Montgomery County
    But to avoid making the sub forum for fear of over-zealous prepping/zombie threads is ridiculous. I think it would be 80% useful exchange of ideas- things anyone can use- and 20% fun/joking (zombies etc).

There is a difference from making a SHTF subforum which has zombie threads, and a Zombie subforum with SHTF threads. The first is a respectable subforum which can include (but is not limited to) zombie stuff; the second option does not give that flexibility. I think we should keep in mind that antis would love to point out how MDS is full of "zombie-nut preppers". A thread belongs to an individual, but a subforum is put forth by the mods; there is a different level of acceptance and how it reflects on the MDS community.

Also, I've never heard people called "zombies" for wanting to find food/water/shelter for their families following a disaster. Maybe I'm not -in- with the Z-crowd :innocent0

Just my .02

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    That's out side of the topic. I am simply requesting a sub-forum to po w about preparedness topics like medical, canning, etc.

The movie purge is what will happen in suburbia. There is the alternate forum that was started by MDS members.

CLP

Dec 18, 2012
    Does anyone know a place to get cheap jerry cans for fuel and water near cecil county?

psycosteve

Meme magic works!!!
    Sep 3, 2012
    Gentrfying the Hagersbush.
    If one looks at how people prep its usually guns , ammo then food and water . Most of this information is available on other sites . This site does one thing really well and that is guns . While I am not against a prepping/survivalist section of the forum I just think it would either distract from the shooting aspect of the forum or just be a novelty like the Wes topic in the water cooler, which distracts from the shooting aspect of guns and ammo. IMHO if I was to endorse a prepping/survivalist section of this board I would make a 50 post requirement to get in .

K.C.Dean

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Buds Creek
    If you want to prep buy heirloom seeds. If done right they will last for a long time. I live in st marys county very close to Amish. I talked to one guy and when I tried to tell him about hybrid seeds he had no idea. You can't use seeds from hybrid plants for next years garden.

marko12

Sep 28, 2009
    Maryland, on the Chesapeake Bay
    This.. It was tried here before.. Why give the mods more to do when you can do all of this at MdPrep.com?? Good folks over there. In fact, most members there are members here as well.. C'mon over and have a look around.. :thumbsup:

It's not like you have to go very far to get there, don't even have to leave your chair. Nothing scary, all good information including guns and ammo. Most of the info is about actually surviving SHTF instead of shooting zombies. Food prep and storage, canning, generators, solar energy, water filtration, turbine energy, dehydration of food (stuff I didn't even know about), how to make you own dried meals in mylar bags or mason jars, fire starting, hunting, camping, fishing and a DIY section.

We are included in MAGs (Mutual Assistance Groups) and the intent is to help each other in any crisis situation, think Katrina or the storms that just passed. The groups are identified by geographical location so you would be close to other members. We have voluntary meetings once a month and discuss different topics, canning, food etc., we had a meeting that included how to clean and cook a squirrel, had a RN give a lecture on how to dress wounds, treat burns and the very latest in wound bandages.

We get to know our members, we go camping at least three times a year and have frequent get togethers where I've met some of the nicest, smartest and creative people ever.

I don't think I appreciated MDShooters completely until I met some of the members. And after meeting some of them I made many friends for life.

So, don't be selfish and share some of your knowledge with us. There is a lot of knowledge on our site but it's not complete without you sharing some of yours. We can all learn something and we can all teach something.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    It's not like you have to go very far to get there, don't even have to leave your chair. Nothing scary, all good information including guns and ammo. Most of the info is about actually surviving SHTF instead of shooting zombies. Food prep and storage, canning, generators, solar energy, water filtration, turbine energy, dehydration of food (stuff I didn't even know about), how to make you own dried meals in mylar bags or mason jars, fire starting, hunting, camping, fishing and a DIY section.

We are included in MAGs (Mutual Assistance Groups) and the intent is to help each other in any crisis situation, think Katrina or the storms that just passed. The groups are identified by geographical location so you would be close to other members. We have voluntary meetings once a month and discuss different topics, canning, food etc., we had a meeting that included how to clean and cook a squirrel, had a RN give a lecture on how to dress wounds, treat burns and the very latest in wound bandages.

We get to know our members, we go camping at least three times a year and have frequent get togethers where I've met some of the nicest, smartest and creative people ever.

I don't think I appreciated MDShooters completely until I met some of the members. And after meeting some of them I made many friends for life.

So, don't be selfish and share some of your knowledge with us. There is a lot of knowledge on our site but it's not complete without you sharing some of yours. We can all learn something and we can all teach something.

Well said. Those of us that chose to live in Md are increasingly being disenfranchised by our own government, mocked by those at greatest risk, and abandoned by those most like ourselves. Good idea to stick together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom