Side charging AR upper, with non HBAR barrel Md llegal.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • abr10dr

May 17, 2010
    I've been searching but no luck. Or is this a maybe/maybe not thing. Don't want to be a test case.

JTH20

Feb 18, 2013
    MD
    Not sure if the fact that it's a side charger makes any difference since it's still functionally an AR. I would think you'd need a heavy barrel to make it MD legal.

Last edited:

abr10dr

May 17, 2010
    I have not purchased the upper yet, so it will be new. I was never that interested in ARs. Haven't shot one since the early 70's but I got a 10/22 takedown without a barrel and started buying parts, Volquartsen bbl, Kidd reciever parts etc. I enjoyed that so much, I figured the next logical step would be to build an AR. So 2017 is going to be the year of the AR build(s). Thanks for the replies.
    Rick

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Posssibly legal. If it uses a proprietary bolt it may be legal. MSP LD has said that rifle must be cosmetically similar and 100% parts interchangeable to be banned. So if the bolt/BCG won't fit in a standard AR-15 it should be MD legal even with a non HBAR barrel.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    To throw a question back at the OP on purpose ;

Are you liking a side charger upper on purpose, or exploring pathways to non-HBAR on purpose ?

abr10dr

May 17, 2010
    Biggfoot44,
    Well kinda both, I was looking at lefty uppers and came across the Gibbz, and started thinking ( which I should avoid ), if it would be MD legal there would be more barrel options, HBAR is not a deal breaker, just don't like being told the profile of a barrel makes it more lethal.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    As far as I am aware an AR in 6.5 Grendel is fine as non-HBAR. The cartridge is NOT useable in an AR-15. Bolt, magazine and barrel are different.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Posssibly legal. If it uses a proprietary bolt it may be legal. MSP LD has said that rifle must be cosmetically similar and 100% parts interchangeable to be banned. So if the bolt/BCG won't fit in a standard AR-15 it should be MD legal even with a non HBAR barrel.

The bolt shouldn't matter.

The fact that a side charger has different parts than a standard AR *should* be enough, even if the bolt itself is the same. A side charger is going to have a different upper receiver, charging handle, and bolt carrier at the minimum. That *should* be enough to get it un-banned because the parts aren't interchangeable.

The trick here is the *should* part. We all know that MSP makes up whatever the hell they want to whenever they want to.

Warwolvesinspace

Hoarder of Shinies
    Oct 2, 2016
    I would recommend avoiding Bear Creek. I don't trust any company that rebranded themselves due to poor quality control.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom