Sierra MatchKing Competition Ammunition 223 - primer pocket size atypical- has ring inside pocket?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clay

Jul 22, 2021
    Want to reload 223 cases. Spent primer measures .170, appears to be surrounded by metal ring in the primer pocket to fit. Regular.175 primer does not fit. What’s going on? Don’t know if ring is removable. Pictures attached. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_2182.jpeg
      IMG_2182.jpeg
      212.1 KB · Views: 70
    • IMG_2181.jpeg
      IMG_2181.jpeg
      161.6 KB · Views: 74
    • IMG_2180.jpeg
      IMG_2180.jpeg
      211.3 KB · Views: 70

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Look like primer pocket crimps.

If so, you'll need a tool to ream out the crimp.
    Yup. Military crimp. If you don't have a swaging tool, you can use a chamfer tool(the inside end) and grind it off manually. It's slow, but it works if that's your only option.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I quite swaging.

My buddy showed me a slick trick. Put a .50bmg chamfer tool in a 5c collet in the milling machine, grab a handful of cases, just barely touch each pocket to the tool at about 400 to 500 rpm. Haven't had a deformed case head or bent rim since.

Clay

Jul 22, 2021
    Get some new brass.
    Lol. Good point. With reloading it really is a question of how much to invest in time and tools v buying a product. Wouldn’t surprise me if there are people who machine their own brass from stock (I’m going to Google this now)

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Lol. Good point. With reloading it really is a question of how much to invest in time and tools v buying a product. Wouldn’t surprise me if there are people who machine their own brass from stock (I’m going to Google this now)
    They do but not for the type of cases you are probably thinking about.

Know one guy who turned his own 8 bore cases to match the Holland double he bought.

Another makes them for his 37mm Hotchkiss mountain gun.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I quite swaging.

My buddy showed me a slick trick. Put a .50bmg chamfer tool in a 5c collet in the milling machine, grab a handful of cases, just barely touch each pocket to the tool at about 400 to 500 rpm. Haven't had a deformed case head or bent rim since.
    Huh. Thanks!!!

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Huh. Thanks!!!
    Well, he does happen to have all the shit to load 50bmg and 20mm, plus a milling machine with collets so, why not.

It's probably not the safest thing but he and I are used to working around machine tools and it works really well. The Dillon super swage sits in a box somewhere unused.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom