• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Feb 4, 2013
    So I recently placed an order for my first handgun. I wanted to get something in a .40 and my local shop showed me several options (S&W M&P 40, Glock, Springfield, etc...). Granted the Smith and the Glock were currently out of stock and had no known date of becoming available through her distributor again. Then she showed me a Sig Sauer P250 .40 cal full size, which I really liked (this particualr one was already purchased by someone else so I couldn't have this one). It really felt comfortable in my hand, especially since I have smaller hands, the grip was perfect and the angle of the grip was quite comfortable. I was quite excited when I put my deposit down on the weapon and I was told it would be in stock in a week or two. Since then I have been reading more and more about the weapon and I'm starting to think I may have made a mistake. Many people are writing mediocre reviews and there are quite a few for sale used. So to end this rambling, did I make a mistake? Any and all opinions we be welcome and appreciated.

K. Williams

P.S. The weapon is still not in stock currently so the paper work has not been sent out yet and I can still cancel the purchase and get something else. Thanks again.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    I bought an SP2022 in 9mm. It is available in .40 as well. Very highly rated. A fine firearm. The reviews I saw raved about the SP2022, and sometimes the P250 was criticized. I would not be surprised if Sig has fixed the issues by now. It is a well respected manufacturer.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    It is an ok gun for target shooting and the option of the small, medium and large to fit different hands. Terrible trigger and not a combat handgun. I would never have one for self defense. I have fired these as my agency was considering them.

Feb 4, 2013
    Sorry Jim, I should have also clarified that my brother owns a Smith M&P and my roommate owns a Glock (which i have shot both) and she showed me a Springfield XD that she did have in stock but I didn't really care for.

Feb 4, 2013
    Thanks Blaster, I did notice that the trigger pull was quite long and a bit on the sloppy side but nothing a trigger job couldn't fix if the gun is worthy of the money. Plus I am not looking for a combat pistol, mainly going to be target shooting with family/friends. But as far as self defense goes, in your opinion is the trigger the only thing holding it back from being a solid defense weapon or am I possibly wasting $600?

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Thanks Blaster, I did notice that the trigger pull was quite long and a bit on the sloppy side but nothing a trigger job couldn't fix if the gun is worthy of the money. Plus I am not looking for a combat pistol, mainly going to be target shooting with family/friends. But as far as self defense goes, in your opinion is the trigger the only thing holding it back from being a solid defense weapon or am I possibly wasting $600?

We had trigger and mag issues with our test pistols. Do not be scared that it won't work, because it will. We just use our pistols very hard. I would own one.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    See if they can get you a CZ-75B instead. Unlike the Glock or the M&P, the CZ-75B is in use by a military organization and once the panic subsides mags are pretty inexpensive.

MauiWowie

I have the SIGness...
    Nov 23, 2008
    Harford Co.
    I love all Sigs but I'm not a fan of this one....
    I'd get a P229 in .40 (if you want .40). I prefer 9mm
    The P229 and P228 in 9mm are a dream!

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    I was in favor of my .45 and a .40 until I saw how much cheaper it NORMALLY is to get 9mm ammo. These days, all bets are off.
    More time at the range should make for a better shooter, so 9mm got the nod.

dapefley

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2013
    Hughesville MD
    I was in favor of my .45 and a .40 until I saw how much cheaper it NORMALLY is to get 9mm ammo. These days, all bets are off.
    More time at the range should make for a better shooter, so 9mm got the nod.

Or you could do what I did. I got this in .45 (nervous as well about how it "handles") and I also got a 9 but in FNS (also a little nervous). I guess we will see... Filed paperwork on Jan. 16.. still waiting. :mad54:

Feb 4, 2013
    I really appreciate everyone's input and thank you. I considered the P229 in the first place but it was just simply out of my price range. I'm trying to stay in the $600.00 range and I would really prefer new in box. Does anyone know of any good gun shops in the Harford/Baltimore county area? I live in Harford county but also wouldn't mind driving longer distances if the shop is worth it.

Daddyursus

Trusted Shellback
    Jan 11, 2013
    In a van down by the river
    I love my Sig P226 Navy. And would like to be a Sig die hard fan. But as is well known these are expensive handguns and rifles. Also have the Sig 556. My attitude towards my guns are likened to an ugly dog. In time you will learn to love them. I feel it is up to me to learn and adapt my shooting style to the weapon I am shooting. My M9A1 handles differently than my Taurus 92F. But enough about me. Recently, I have selected the Berreta Px4 Storm series. The sub-compact in 9mm is a delightful lil beast with 13 rds in the mag. I chose the compact in 40. It's rotating barrel removes so must recoil. Still waiting to pick up the full size in 9mm. Paperwork submitted 01/26/2013.
    We all have opinions, this is just mine.

Jjhths

Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewood,MD
    I really appreciate everyone's input and thank you. I considered the P229 in the first place but it was just simply out of my price range. I'm trying to stay in the $600.00 range and I would really prefer new in box. Does anyone know of any good gun shops in the Harford/Baltimore county area? I live in Harford county but also wouldn't mind driving longer distances if the shop is worth it.

Gun connection isn't that far from your location probably :innocent0

HumbleEinstein

May 31, 2012
    Falls Church, VA
    It really depends on what you're going to use it for. If you're just going to have one gun then I would get a Glock. For me, Glock is the only polymer worth buying. If you like Sig then I recommend the P226 or P229.

seawolf823

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Dec 18, 2011
    Timonium
    I had a P250 compact in .40. Great shooter but wasnt too fond of the DA only trigger. Also just traded a nice sp2022 in 9mm down at The Gun Shop in Essex and that was also an excellent gun and I did like the DA first shot and SA subsequent shots. If your good with DA only its a great gun and I never had an issue with mine. Here are the Sig's i had.

Attachments

• 2012-06-24 18.46.40-1.jpg
      2012-06-24 18.46.40-1.jpg
      49.6 KB · Views: 117
    • 2012-08-20 13.51.24.jpg
      2012-08-20 13.51.24.jpg
      66.2 KB · Views: 118

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members