• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

May 19, 2013
    Frederick, MD
    Help! I need a little help in choosing a 9mm handgun. I have it narrowed down to three pistols.

What does everyone think about the following pistols?
    Sig Sauer SP2022
    Sig Sauer P250 (compact or full)
    M&P 9

Which one would you choose? Thank you in advance.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I was under the impression that the P250 hadn't sold well for Sig because the modular pistol concept was confusing and the DAO trigger wasn't a hit. Perhaps it's done well more recently.

OTH, the Sig P228 and P229 are popular compact models. I myself am pining for a slightly smaller P239 in the future.

If you've handled an M&P 9 before, you'll note that it's well balanced and the stock trigger breaks fine (although some get trigger jobs for them). Lots of fans (except one) on this board for the S&W model.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Fire them each. Then decide which fits your hand , and has a trigger that doesn't overly suck * to you * .. ( And then just for giggles decide if the modular concept has any intrest for you. )

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Skip the 2022 and consider the 226 instead or the M&P I think you'll find the Smith will feel good in your hand.
    You may not like a striker fired pistol tho.
    For me, I like a hammer and de cocker controls. Mainly that's what I've been used to training with for years.

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    In order of preference:

P226 or other p series gun---you never hear anything negative about these guns. A number of departments and military use them.

Smith and Wesson. Very well reviewed. I don't particularly like the way the trigger feels. It's too curved for me. My finger hits the bottom of the trigger at a weird angle. I'm seem to be the only one with this problem. This is why you have to try the guns out if possible.

The 2022 would be next. Doesn't have the track record of the P series but still a good gun for the money.

Next, I would consider an Springfield XD/XDS. My question to you is why the XD isn't an option?

The next gun that comes to my mind is the Glocks. Also, not on your list. I'm not a big fan because they feel big and uncomfortable to me, but you can't argue against them due to their popularity with police and civilians.

Next is an H and K P30. I'll assume it's not on the list due to its price. To me it's the most comfortable polymer gun out there. It was the first 9mm I bought.

I own the hk P30 and an XD ( the wife's). The next 9mm I would buy is a P series Sig.

Have I confused you yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rockn93yj

Nov 24, 2011
    I have a sig 226 and s&w m&p pro. Love them both. Sig feels bulkier and not as comfortable to grip. The magazine lip protrudes on the bottom hitting my finger making it a little uncomfortable. It comes with 3 magazines and all 3 are designed that way. s&w has much more comfortable grip and is adjustable, feels slimmer in my hand, feels better balanced. only thing I don't like about the s&w is the trigger creep. Also, make sure if you buy a smith that the trigger isn't gritty. I did an impulse buy on a CORE series 9 mm without trying it(i own a few M&Ps and love them) and got it home to find the trigger felt like sandpaper.
    If given a choice I would go with the M&P.

JCarlton81

Oct 13, 2012
    Severn
    I own multiple M&Ps and SIGs (including a P250), and my advice is decide what features you have to have and buy the one that meets those needs. As long as it is what you want, and you are comfortable firing it, who cares what anyone else thinks.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    The real thing you need to figure out are the features you want. Do you want a DA/SA gun like most Sig 22X are (unless you get a DAK version, or a SAO version that they make of a few)? Or would you prefer the same trigger pull from every shot that a Glock, M&P, XD, etc will give you?

I disagree about what someone said above about Sigs having a higher resale value. A new Sig 226, 229, etc, is going to be around $900, but used ones often only go for $500 or $600-ish, even in great shape. Glocks and S&W sell for $500 and change new, but its hard to find used ones for less than $400-$450. They lose a lower % of their value.

I am a "Glock guy". I started out a Sig guy but sold 3/4 of them (to my credit, I bought them all used to begin with, so I really didn't take a loss on them) once I got comfy with Glock. I am not a fan of DA/SA triggers or the top heavy feel of Sigs.

From your list, I would choose the M&P. It has different grip panels that allow you to customize the shape of the grip to fit your hand, is building a great rep with police and some big-name instructors (Costa, Lamb, etc), are pretty much fully ambidextrous, can be had with or w/o manual safeties, etc. S&W hit a home run with this line, and their customer service is regarded as fantastic.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    OP, I see that you might be at Ft Detrick. Avoid The Gun Center on Military Road. Even if they float you a military discount, their prices are very high. Consider checking out Gunrunners in downtown Frederick. The proprietor, Bob (Robert Lee Wolfes), usually has a few Sigs and had a used but in very good condition Sig P239 (in 9mm with night sights if I remember correctly) in his case recently. Might consider offering around $600 if this is a gun that you like. Alternatively, a little further away but worth the drive is Duffy's gun shop, a MD Shooters IP. They have an amazing selection and reasonable prices. Finally if internet shopping for a Sig, email Summit guns for their latest price list ...

http://www.summitgunbroker.com/

Their prices are very competitive and they often have great deals on factory recertified Sigs. Good luck!

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    If you are looking into a Sig, the P-series is the way to go, although I prefer the DAK or SAO models to avoid the DA/SA trigger. They are comfortable, quite accurate, dependable, compact and lightweight for a hammer fired metal frame gun, and are nice and smooth in operation with good triggers. I have tried, but just can't warm up to their poly models, HK does hammer fired poly far better, and they give up some simplicity and feel to striker fired poly. The M&P series is ergonomic, accurate, dependable, and now has all the parts and accessories GLOCK does, the huge glaring downside is the trigger, it flat sucks, long, gritty, vague, heavier than it should be, little reset feel, lots of overtravel, and so on. Easy enough to fix, either with Apex parts, or someone competent reshaping the stock parts, then it is a tough pistol to beat.

WheelHead

Head of the wheel
    Dec 6, 2011
    Snow Hill
    +10 on the P226. Although I don't have the plastic guns to compare it to I've shot it quite a good bit and really love it. I'll get mine back out after I get the mags I ordered to replace the stolen ones.

mtel

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2012
    Virginia
    Like others said the best thing you can do is try them out and see which you like best.

I'm not sure about the 2022 availability but it'll be easy to find rental ranges which carry the M&P9 and Sig 250.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    250-No
    2022-No

MP-Yes

If you want something from Sig stay with their heavy hitters...the 229, 226,220,239, are all great examples.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom