• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Second Amendment

Ultimate Member
    May 11, 2011
    I recently purchased a new Sig Sauer P229 9mm and am having FTE issues. I have shot about 500 rounds of two kinds of factory ammo and have had 4 or 5 such occurrences. I called Sig, explained the problem, and the rep said that this is normal and a "1% failure rate" is to be expected. Is this the case and does anyone else have this issue? I own a Glock 17 which cost half the price of the Sig and have NEVER had a jam.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    A couple of questions, what ammo? Is the gun properly lubed? What caliber?

Back when I got into firearms, the SIG P220 was still new, it was common to have a 500 round break in period with a semi auto pistol. It was also normal to fire 200+ rounds of whatever defensive ammo you planned to use, to make sure the gun and ammo liked each other. Glock and some other new designs more or less made those older ideas not as valid.

I would clean the gun according to SIG's manual and then lube it properly. Do some more testing and see if anything changed. If you can, try some different ammo. Also, see if another shooter has the same issues.

As for 1% failure, I would hope not. My S&W M&P has only burped when I was very tired and I know I was limp wristing the gun. My SIG P2022 has also been 100%.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    This is typical SIG Quality for their current production.

Heres how to proceed:

Number your mags. When you have a malfunction write down what mag it occurs with. It could be a bad mag or all your mags are from a bad batch. I also recomend buying an additional mag and see if you have malfunctions with a a good 3rd party mag. Get a mecgar mag.

What types of ammo. If its steel cased it may be too weak or too hot which may mean you need a weaker or stronger recoil spring. Steel cased ammo is not optimal in guns without chrome lined chambers. It leaves carbon on the walls and leads to extraction issues. If the barrel mouth, feed ramp, or chamber is rough it can lead to extraction issues.

If your using some type of wonderlube, miltec, or wd40 stop it. Strip the old lube off and use straight syn 40w motor oil.

Is the recoil rod plastic? If it is replace ir with a steel one. Get a new extractor assy amd recoil spring kit and have a good gunsmith do some extractor contouring and polishing. The smith can then do the barrel work I mentioned above.

Parts and labor will put you at about $100.00 at most good gunsmiths for the above work not counting test ammo.

For a gun that costs what SIGs do this shouldnt meed to be done. According to the SIG fans here on MDS, I fabricate SIG CS and QC issues.

Second Amendment

Ultimate Member
    May 11, 2011
    A couple of questions, what ammo? Is the gun properly lubed? What caliber?

Back when I got into firearms, the SIG P220 was still new, it was common to have a 500 round break in period with a semi auto pistol. It was also normal to fire 200+ rounds of whatever defensive ammo you planned to use, to make sure the gun and ammo liked each other. Glock and some other new designs more or less made those older ideas not as valid.

I would clean the gun according to SIG's manual and then lube it properly. Do some more testing and see if anything changed. If you can, try some different ammo. Also, see if another shooter has the same issues.

As for 1% failure, I would hope not. My S&W M&P has only burped when I was very tired and I know I was limp wristing the gun. My SIG P2022 has also been 100%.

It's a 9mm. Each trip to the range, the gun is properly cleaned and lubed. The ammo shot from it has been Winchester white box 115 gr and Speer Lawman 124 gr.

Sig did agree to have me send it back for a look.

demmo

Apr 26, 2009
    I have 3 sigs. 2 p226 in 40 cal and 1 sp2022 in 9mm none of them have ever failed to anything. I would send it back to sig to be looked at.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Second Amendment

Ultimate Member
    May 11, 2011
    This is typical SIG Quality for their current production.

Heres how to proceed:

Number your mags. When you have a malfunction write down what mag it occurs with. It could be a bad mag or all your mags are from a bad batch. I also recomend buying an additional mag and see if you have malfunctions with a a good 3rd party mag. Get a mecgar mag.
    What types of ammo. If its steel cased it may be too weak or too hot which may mean you need a weaker or stronger recoil spring. Steel cased ammo is not optimal in guns without chrome lined chambers. It leaves carbon on the walls and leads to extraction issues. If the barrel mouth, feed ramp, or chamber is rough it can lead to extraction issues.

If your using some type of wonderlube, miltec, or wd40 stop it. Strip the old lube off and use straight syn 40w motor oil.

Is the recoil rod plastic? If it is replace ir with a steel one. Get a new extractor assy amd recoil spring kit and have a good gunsmith do some extractor contouring and polishing. The smith can then do the barrel work I mentioned above.

Parts and labor will put you at about $100.00 at most good gunsmiths for the above work not counting test ammo.

For a gun that costs what SIGs do this shouldnt meed to be done. According to the SIG fans here on MDS, I fabricate SIG CS and QC issues.

Mags - I have extras and will try your suggestion.

Ammo has been Win. white box 115 gr & Speer Lawman 124 gr.

Recoil rod is plastic.

As to the cost? Yeah, I shouldn't have this problem.

Thanks for the feedback Clandestine.

demmo

Apr 26, 2009
    I am. They sent me a UPS shipping tag.

Good call on sending it back.

I should have added to my original reply that the only time I have ever seen a sig do this is when my wife shoots them and that is because she limp wrist the gun.

Second Amendment

Ultimate Member
    May 11, 2011
    Good call on sending it back.

I should have added to my original reply that the only time I have ever seen a sig do this is when my wife shoots them and that is because she limp wrist the gun.

I assure you, that's not happening in this case.

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County

I can back you up on this one seeing as how I'm watching Sig's being shot every day. The quality has gone down greatly in the past 3 or 4 years with all sorts of problems to include but not limited to odd wear spots, soft metal (hammer), broken disassembly levers, magazine floor plates breaking, magazines coming from the factory with two followers, etc. Is the prefix on the gun AFU?

In my opinion you're better off finding an older Sig used rather than buying the current lot being produced. They cost an arm and a leg but generally speaking Sig will make things right if you send it back to them. Hopefully Sig will make it right!

Second Amendment

Ultimate Member
    May 11, 2011
    I can back you up on this one seeing as how I'm watching Sig's being shot every day. The quality has gone down greatly in the past 3 or 4 years with all sorts of problems to include but not limited to odd wear spots, soft metal (hammer), broken disassembly levers, magazine floor plates breaking, magazines coming from the factory with two followers, etc. Is the prefix on the gun AFU?

In my opinion you're better off finding an older Sig used rather than buying the current lot being produced. They cost an arm and a leg but generally speaking Sig will make things right if you send it back to them. Hopefully Sig will make it right!

Yep.

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County

There's a joke around the office, AFU stands for All ****ed Up. They seem to be nothing but problems. My issued weapon is a AK series and before that I had an AI. I don't know if it's outsourcing issues or what, but the current Sig's current run seems to have a lot of problems as compared to previous series.

Like I said, hopefully they get the problem squared away. Sig's customer service seems to be pretty good overall from what I've seen in the past. Sucks that you have to do that with a brand new gun but it's unfortunately the nature of the beast with newer Sig's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom