• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cww

Jan 28, 2010
    Anybody notice the increase that just passed? Will be interesting to see what the outcome is.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Anybody notice the increase that just passed? Will be interesting to see what the outcome is.
    The increase did pass? Well, I suppose the “outcome” will be you’ll pay more for a sika stamp. If it has already passed, what process is still unfolding that you’re waiting to see the end result of?

Also, btw, what is a ”sika stamp”? I don’t recall buying a separate stamp ever for sika. Archery stamp, muzzleloader stamp, bonus antlerered deer stamp, furbearer stamp (permit) - sure. Never heard of a “sika stamp”.

DaveP

Jan 27, 2013
    St. Marys county
    The increase did pass? Well, I suppose the “outcome” will be you’ll pay more for a sika stamp. If it has already passed, what process is still unfolding that you’re waiting to see the end result of?

Also, btw, what is a ”sika stamp”? I don’t recall buying a separate stamp ever for sika. Archery stamp, muzzleloader stamp, bonus antlerered deer stamp, furbearer stamp (permit) - sure. Never heard of a “sika stamp”.
    Started last year.
    Non resident now going to $200, I think

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Started last year.
    Non resident now going to $200, I think
    I forgot to type “is this something that started last year?”, because last year I didn’t get a license for the first time since 1980. My father died in August just before I usually gear up for bow season, and since my main hunting partner was gone I didn’t have the desire to go out last year at all. That sucks for the new sika stamp.

cww

Jan 28, 2010
    Last year it was passed that R would need a $10 Sika stamp and NR would need a $25 Sika stamp. This year it looks like they passed an increase for NR to $200.
    What I mean by interesting to see how it unfolds is does it really only result in a slight drop in sales and still generate the predicted $250k - $330k in revenue. Does it really result in enough of a drop in NR hunters to make it less crowded or lease prices to drop? Does it just increase the underlying resentment for some between R and NR? Increase in poaching? Increase in not passing young ones and killing whatever walks in front of you? Etc.

Dantheman

Jan 26, 2011
    I feel like $10 was a reasonable price for the stamp.
    Last year it was passed that R would need a $10 Sika stamp and NR would need a $25 Sika stamp. This year it looks like they passed an increase for NR to $200.
    What I mean by interesting to see how it unfolds is does it really only result in a slight drop in sales and still generate the predicted $250k - $330k in revenue. Does it really result in enough of a drop in NR hunters to make it less crowded or lease prices to drop? Does it just increase the underlying resentment for some between R and NR? Increase in poaching? Increase in not passing young ones and killing whatever walks in front of you? Etc.
    Wait $200 for NR Sika stamp? I know a lot of Maryland guys who will be happy to hear that! LOL.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Right, that's what they're counting on. Now pile on all of the "reasonable" $10 stamps you need and you've got a $250 license. That's a lot of money for a lot of people.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Thanks to Steve Rinella of MeatEater and his Ghosts of the Chesapeake episode.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!

Wait $200 for NR Sika stamp? I know a lot of Maryland guys who will be happy to hear that! LOL.
    Easier to pay for the stamp than the fine that’s for sure.
    Nobodies going to pass a stag or any sika up because they didn’t get a stamp right?
    Until the harvest reports come in.
    That’s when the real unhappy goes round.

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    Gotta love all the “locals” who think that nature belongs to them and non-residents should be “restricted”.

From $10 to $200 for a NR tag is excessive in my humble opinion. Who came up with this idea? Not cool at all.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Gotta love all the “locals” who think that nature belongs to them and non-residents should be “restricted”.

From $10 to $200 for a NR tag is excessive in my humble opinion. Who came up with this idea? Not cool at all.
    Yeah, I’m a local and even I don’t think this is right. That’s way too much for just a stamp. Are the non-resident archery and muzzleloader stamps also $200? Or the bonus antlered stamp? Thank you Wes Moore.

Someone needs to sue these idiots, this fee is punitive. Other states, particularly adjacent states may just begin to charge MD residents extra exorbitant fees for permits, licenses, and stamps.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Yeah, I’m a local and even I don’t think this is right. That’s way too much for just a stamp. Are the non-resident archery and muzzleloader stamps also $200? Or the bonus antlered stamp? Thank you Wes Moore.

Someone needs to sue these idiots, this fee is punitive. Other states, particularly adjacent states may just begin to charge MD residents extra exorbitant fees for permits, licenses, and stamps.
    They already do. Been doing it for years.

OneGunTex

Escaped Member
    Jan 12, 2021
    Southern Maryland, no longer
    Well, as a former resident who used to hunt sika but never got one, this certainly diminishes the likelihood I'll ever make the trip back to try to finish the game.

I also just learned that only 10% of black bear tags go to nonresidents. Again, I have several pref points built up from when I was a resident but never drawn. Now it looks unlikely I ever will be.

That said, it is not uncommon across the US for nonresident tags to cost ~10x resident prices. It is in my current state. The idea is that if non-res are going to spend hundreds to do an out-of-state trip, they can roll tag prices into that. Will certainly cut down the number of hunters from PA though.

cww

Jan 28, 2010
    Many ways to look at it IMO. DNR needs revenue from somewhere and we all know this state is not fairly supporting them. They also want lots of deer killed, esp in places. Then if you look at what a NR has to pay to hunt other states like Iowa, Kansas, SD, etc a NR hunting MD gets a pretty good deal. Then add in what can be hunted and taken even better. I’m not a rich big time hunter but have been to a few states for something and in none of them could I kill 2 turkey, 36 whitetails, 9 Sika, and any small game. It is usually 1 bird and 1 or 2 deer depending.
    Now if it is a special animal that they have you can add bonus money, points and draws to the equation. Looks like MD is just adjusting to the way it is in a bunch of other states

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Many ways to look at it IMO. DNR needs revenue from somewhere and we all know this state is not fairly supporting them. They also want lots of deer killed, esp in places. Then if you look at what a NR has to pay to hunt other states like Iowa, Kansas, SD, etc a NR hunting MD gets a pretty good deal. Then add in what can be hunted and taken even better. I’m not a rich big time hunter but have been to a few states for something and in none of them could I kill 2 turkey, 36 whitetails, 9 Sika, and any small game. It is usually 1 bird and 1 or 2 deer depending.
    Now if it is a special animal that they have you can add bonus money, points and draws to the equation. Looks like MD is just adjusting to the way it is in a bunch of other states
    That’s exactly what I’m saying.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!

When I moved out of state and came back annually to hunt I had to buy not one license and tags, but three of them to hunt my own property. For quite a few years too.
    (2 junior hunters+ myself)

DaveP

Jan 27, 2013
    St. Marys county

Wait until you try to hunt big game on FEDERAL land, you know, OUR land, out west.

Talk about Res/ NonRes disparity!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom