• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ea689c

Mar 26, 2012
    Sterling, VA
    Hi all,
    I visited a friend up in Maine last week who for the last couple of years has only hunted with a single shot H&R 1871 in 45-70. The rifle actually felt really nice and now I am considering getting one. Has anyone used one of these and what are your thoughts? Thanks!

tech24

HP rifle shooter
    Dec 15, 2011
    Frederick, MD
    I have shot one of their .223 break action rifles. The only problem is the scope had to be mounted so high to clear the hammer that cheek weld was impossible. This could be corrected with a LER scope, red dot, or iron sights. Thats assuming the model you are considering is similar in demensions to the rifle I shot.

ea689c

Mar 26, 2012
    Sterling, VA
    I wasn't planning on putting a scope on it, probably just peep sights. Skinner Sights makes some pretty nice ones. I like the idea of a KISS gun.

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    The least accurate rifle I ever owned was a NEF in .223. Mind you this was a dozen years ago or so and I had a .308 NEF that shot pretty darn good. But I must have gotten a bad apple because that .223 couldn't shooter better than 14" patterns (definitely not groups) at 50 yards.

I used flat adhesive backed foam to build the comb up for scope use. Very bubba, but it worked on the .308 just fine

ea689c

Mar 26, 2012
    Sterling, VA
    I honestly don't need one at all! I will probably take it out hunting from time to time. He killed a black bear and 4 deer with his last season so I know it worked for him.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    t/c encore. It's a gun capable of some pretty impressive groups. Also, you can switch barrels to shoot different things(including muzzleloading)

Balzer94

Feb 27, 2011
    My friends dad have a break action .222/ 20ga. You chose to shot one or the other. the hammer doesn't come above the rails at all so there was no need for risers or anything for a scope. Very accurate and fun to shoot

ea689c

Mar 26, 2012
    Sterling, VA
    I found one in 30-30, stainless steel/hardwood on the cheap. I am going to go ahead and pick it up. Thanks for every ones take on this!

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    t/c encore. It's a gun capable of some pretty impressive groups. Also, you can switch barrels to shoot different things(including muzzleloading)

+1 on the Encores - you can get a 45-70 rifle barrel..or a 45-70 pistol barrel if you are feeling bold!

There are lots of barrel available for the Encores, both from T/C, and lots of Custom builders. Swaping barrels is as easy as it gets. You are also covered by Smith & Wessons (they own T/C) lifetime warranty.

The thing with break open single shots - is that they can be difficult sometimes to get to group well - but there are a few tricks you can do. Most of the problem lies in the way the barrel is bedded to the stock. A quick and easy trick that sometimes works - is to install rubber O-rings between the barrel and the stock -at the mounting screws. This helps lift the barrel off the stock, and sorta free floats it. There other thing you can do -such as bedding blocks (from custom stock builders), or going to a hanger system.

I plan on having a bench rest pistol stock made for my Encore pistol -just cant decide what color scheme to go with yet. They are fun, and truely versitile guns!

ea689c

Mar 26, 2012
    Sterling, VA
    I like the Encore's, but they are expensive (for me anyway) and this one I might be able to get for as little as $175---So, for now it will have to be Handi Rifle!

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    You can send the NEF receivers back to them and they will fit any cal they make on it. I don't remember the price but it was cheaper to have a new barrel fitted than buying a new encore barrel.

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    I have a H&R 12 gauge slug gun and the dam thing is so accurate you do not need a follow up shot. Deer just drop in their tracks when this gun is used!

jkray

Jul 13, 2011
    Germantown
    I honestly don't need one at all! I will probably take it out hunting from time to time. He killed a black bear and 4 deer with his last season so I know it worked for him.

Thats pretty good considering it's one deer per season unless you have a bonus deer permit then it's still only 2 for that season.

corelokt

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 13, 2010
    parkville
    Thats pretty good considering it's one deer per season unless you have a bonus deer permit then it's still only 2 for that season.

Its 12 in Maryland 2 bucks and ten doe's( firearms season) and thats in region b, I think (not sure)you can then take 2 in region A... 1 buck and 1 doe.... Same bag limit for muzzle loader. In region b.... after you take a buck you must then harvest two doe's before you can take another buck, with a bonus deer stamp.

jkray

Jul 13, 2011
    Germantown
    Its 12 in Maryland 2 bucks and ten doe's( firearms season) and thats in region b, I think (not sure)you can then take 2 in region A... 1 buck and 1 doe.... Same bag limit for muzzle loader. In region b.... after you take a buck you must then harvest two doe's before you can take another buck, with a bonus deer stamp.

Yes I know that is the rule in MD but the OP said his friend (who owns the rifle) is in Maine. Maine's law is bucks only, 1 per season. the exceptions are if you win the any deer lottery you can shoot 1 doe OR 1 buck, and if you get a bonus deer permit you can shoot 2 deer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom