• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    Considering adding another single stage to my line up. Not sure which to get. Considering Hornady Lock n load classic or RCBS Rock Chucker supreme. Maybe even a Lyman.
    Question for guys that have both or all three, which one would you consider the better press?

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Forster, I don't like to use shell holders, there is nothing precision about them.

Too be honest, don't think the press makes that much difference, it's all in the dies.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Been using RCBS exclusively for years. Never a problem.

If you're doing pistol cases, the RCBS Partner Press works like a dream. I've also used it for .243, .30-40, 8mm Mauser, .30-06, and other rifle cartridges.

Though its main use has been .45 Long Colt.

.02 Alert: As for shell holders, they'll produce 100 yard .5 MOA rounds. That's all the precision I'll ever need.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon

If you're doing pistol cases, the RCBS Partner Press works like a dream. I've also used it for .243, .30-40, 8mm Mauser, .30-06, and other rifle cartridges.

.02 Alert: As for shell holders, they'll produce 100 yard .5 MOA rounds. That's all the precision I'll ever need.

Looking to add another single stage mainly for large caliber rifle loading. Just wondering from those that have both the main brands which one they feel is a higher quality since they are about the same price.

RCBS, their customer service is great also!

I have a Hornady Lock n load progressive and their customer service is excellent as well. For example, just this week I called them about one of my powder dropper hoppers and that it has become dark, distorted and not able to stay in the dropper. Told them it's my fault because I left powder in it for a couple years. He said no problem we will send you a new one out right away. I've had other things too that were my fault and they took care of it all free of charge. They are even great about trying to help you with problems. I have RCBS stuff as well and yes they will do the same thing when you screw something up.
    Thats why we pay a premium for this stuff and thats why Lee charges you for things that others don't.

I just want to know which is a stronger press for a single stage and I'm not concerned about it using shell holders.

Cochise

Ultimate Member
    Sep 5, 2008
    Rockville
    I like to play with reloading presses and have a habit of buying them at shows and swap meets playing for a while and re-selling them. That said off the top of my head I have had RCBS, Redding, Lyman/Ideal. Forester, Lachmiller, Herters, Lee, and Bair - Pacific (pre-Hornady).
    Once you get to a build/price point higher than Lee they are all good ( I hate Lee crap) (they're dies are OK). What you want to look for is mechanical advantage/leverage so you dont have to work as hard on the handle and have the leverage to case form or bullet swage. The other thing is the length of case it will wok with if you are doing big rifle rounds.
    The best are the old RCBS A-3 or The Redding Big Boss for mass and mechanical advantage

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    Get the hornady. You can use the hornady l-n-l bushings with either, but the hornady will come with them. And your reloading room color scheme will stay matched.

cyclops

Dec 31, 2016
    Western Md.
    I've had no problems with my RCBS rockchucker for 30+ years, but for larger caliber rifles I think I would look at Redding Big Boss

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Get the hornady. You can use the hornady l-n-l bushings with either, but the hornady will come with them. And your reloading room color scheme will stay matched.

:lol: Accessorizing is very important....

Jmorrismetal

Sep 27, 2014
    +1 for the Forster.

Quicker changes than any bushing press, more positive than Hornady bushings and you don't have to buy bushings, win, win and win.

vinjet700

No one of significance
    Mar 1, 2013
    State of absolute disgust

RCBS, their customer service is great also!

I've had no problems with my RCBS rockchucker for 30+ years, but for larger caliber rifles I think I would look at Redding Big Boss

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Im using my uncles rock chucker. Its probably 45 years old. RCBS customer service has been wonderful.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    I have both the current iteration of Rockchucker and a Redding Big Boss II.

They flat out effed the engineering of the current Rockchucker's spent primer catcher. 1- it's in the way of your knuckled when you put a case in the shellholder. 2- Good luck unsnapping it to empty it without throwing spent primers all over the floor. It is relegated to heavy case sizing and crimping only.

The Big Boss II will size any case the Rockchucker will, had an angled opening (big plus when loading the shellholder) plus it drops spent primers down the ram and out a tube that I run right to the trash.

I do not find bushings like the LnL useful for my loading method, other than limited load development I don't dick around with less than 500 cases per lot. Hornady split lock rings on all the dies and it's a quick wrench to loosen or tighten and go.

ClutchyMcClutcherson

Aug 29, 2016
    Odenton, MD
    They flat out effed the engineering of the current Rockchucker's spent primer catcher. 1- it's in the way of your knuckled when you put a case in the shellholder. 2- Good luck unsnapping it to empty it without throwing spent primers all over the floor. It is relegated to heavy case sizing and crimping only.

+1 on this. I like my rock chucker supreme press but they really do make a he'll of a mess decapping. Something they couldn't have possibly not noticed during development.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom