• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I was starting to wonder if there had been a major problem with the changeover.

I even wondered if some enemy had cleverly timed a major Denial of Service attack for the changeover.

Last edited:

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Folks.....

The old software was at the end of its life by about 8-10 years. The choice was either a change over with all of the associated inconvenience or to risk the whole thing collapsing.

The primary focus of the move over was to get it as close as possible while maintaining the integrity of 17 years worth of the data.

The very fact that some of you cranks are in a position to immediately begin complaining before we've even had a chance to get to work on the live version shows that A) the data, and your account survived; and B)the format is workable enough for you to immediately begin bitching.

Instead, maybe you could thank the geeks for accomplishing what was a remarkably smooth change over from a technical standpoint.

CanDoEZ

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 23, 2008
    SoMD
    I'm thanking the Geek Squad! It works and I didn't have to do 27 different reboots to get here which is way better than any major SW change done by the .mil establishment.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Change is the only constant- I can definitely see some functional improvement already though from an iPhone like being able to add photos easily, and no more emoji code map! :rockon:

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Relieved to see everything back up this AM. Yesterday PM was rough obsessively checking to see if the site was back online every 15 minutes or so. I can already see some greatly enhanced functionality. Just need to get acquainted with the layout/new controls/features. :bannana:

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    I would like to Thank myself for being able to log in and get a general feel of the forum.

Also while i am Thanking folks i would like to Thank TexKev and the other Admin. - Mods that have to hear us moan and groan

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    This is going to take a little getting used to but I think I can do it.
    Also it looks like we lost almost 1000 members in the transition. I guess a lot of junk accounts got purged.

FPL53

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2013
    Frederick
    Looks like post counts lowered (don't really care about that) and some attached photos were also purged.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    This is going to take a little getting used to but I think I can do it.
    Also it looks like we lost almost 1000 members in the transition. I guess a lot of junk accounts got purged.

Most likely the case. I used to go through once In awhile and hose any zero post accounts that had not been logged into for over a year.

That was causing some problems with the database so I stopped doing it. Makes sense that some housecleaning took place on the move

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Thanks to the behind the scenes troops!

Now, just waiting for all prices in the Classifieds to start being automatically re-adjusted according a Committee consisting of me; and,

I need to know where to be directed for what I was told will be …

“Hookers for my men and Blow for my horses!”

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Looks like post counts lowered (don't really care about that) and some attached photos were also purged.
    Some of that might show back up. Think how your phone or computer does updates in that things come in subsequent waves once you make that initial change.

I'm sorta making this one up, but I feel like it might be the case.

Even so, 17 years of old material is a LOT of data and the geeks did a great job no matter what.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom