• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    All depends on what " try some Trap and Skeet for fun" means to you.

If it means shooting a cpl of rounds once or twice a month , forpersonal recreation , maybe to keep from getting totally rusty between hunting seasons, jump in with your favorite field gun , and enjoy.

If you intend to be ever semi-serious ( leagues, tournements, handicaps, etc go thru shells by the multiple flat ) , you'll be needing a specific gun for each discipline.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Also, if you do not want to get into reloading, Fiocchi has a line of light recoil shells.

Their 1 ounce 12 ga Light Recoil (12TL) is a VERY soft shooting load. They are fine for skeet and most sporting clays. My wife and I have shot thousands of them. I have even used them for trap, but they are not optimal.

scribe556

Apr 3, 2009
    Jack,

One misconception about getting a 20 gauge is that it will automatically be lighter in recoil than a 12 guage. It's not always so.

For example, a 12 ga. Stoeger Condor might weigh 7.5 lb. with a 1 oz load may have a moderate perceived recoil. The 20 ga. version of the Condor might be up to a pound lighter, losing mass for soaking up recoil. The 7/8 oz. round in the 20 might feel like it kicks harder than the 12 ga with a 1 oz load simply because of the load and weight of the gun combo. I don't know the exact specs, but you get the idea.

There are other factors in recoil but these are the two that I considered first. That's why I got a 20 ga. gas gun for the little lady...

The suggestions to get a recoil reducer or a better shoulder pad are great ideas. Also as one said, get
    the lightest loads you feel like paying for. 7/8 oz in lower velocities (less than 1200 fps) as opposed to 1 oz.

You can get Winchester AA 7/8 oz shot in low recoil loads at 980 fps. They should feel the best for your neck in your 20 ga. Good Luck!!!

best,

Scribe556

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Amongst the Deplorables, SC.
    20 all day long. I have no problem at skeet with an ic choke, mod for trap and also for 5 stand. No problem with 20 and I haven't been doing it toooo long. I do enjoy the 28 o/u for skeet I have with fixed skeet chokes

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    Also, if you do not want to get into reloading, Fiocchi has a line of light recoil shells.

Their 1 ounce 12 ga Light Recoil (12TL) is a VERY soft shooting load. They are fine for skeet and most sporting clays. My wife and I have shot thousands of them. I have even used them for trap, but they are not optimal.

I shoot 1 oz loads for trap all the time. (#8 shot). Breaks them all the way back to the 25 (working on getting to the 27).

Sharp

Feb 21, 2015
    Calvert
    I've never shot trap or sporting clays with anything but 12 ga, but I've seen it done extremely well. I shoot periodically with a co-worker's family, and his daughter is pretty darn good with a Remington 1100 in 20 ga.

Feb 28, 2013
    For clay blastin', either a 12 or a 20 will get the job done.

The big difference from where I sit will be the amounts of lead you're throwin. The bigger boom stick will throw more lead, thus giving ya more chance of hittin' yer targets.

Have fun, and ignore the shotty snobs.:)

Ranger Tom

Jan 28, 2013
    Woodsboro MD
    Thank you all for the input. I was thinking a 20ga O/U to help with a disc issue in my neck.
    Since I don't want to lose my deposit, it may become as one suggested, getting both! :)
    I have two 12ga but both are pumps. I'll give this a try and see how I do.
    Again, thank you all.

Most 12 ga. gas operated autoloaders are soft shooting (I use a Browning Maxus 12 ga. Sporting Clay Model). Use 1 oz. loads at 1200 fps, recoil is almost non-existent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom