• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Not exactly. Sporting clays is whatever the course designer wants it to be.

I had shot crossing targets that were launched from 300 feet off the ground from a tower. Teals are throw pretty much straight up. Rabbits are rolled along the ground and hop. Squirrels are thrown up an inclined ramp. I have shot target crossing about 50 feet directly below me (off a platform off the side of a vertical wall). I have shot targets that appeared to be aimed at my head. Targets that float in from out of sight and settle into a clearing. Every angle from downhill to straight up. And every angle of the compass.

Then add in Midi targets (90mm versus 110mm for standard), or Minis (60mm, look like lfying aspirin tablets), Bateau (very thin). In all sorts of colors - orange, yellow, white, black, green, etc.

The ONLY sure thing about sporting clays is, you will have targets thrown, and they mostly can be hit. :)

They can all be hit. Doesn't mean they will all be hit. Some are just extremely challenging. I still remember one presentation on the eastern shore. There was a lane through the middle of some trees/brush in a field. The target was thrown from the left to the right on the far side of the trees. The shooter had to break it in that little alley through the trees/brush. It took me 6 attempts before I figured out that I had to pull the trigger right before it got to the clearing using a follow through method. Once I figured that out, it was easy to break it. When I first approached it, I said "This is freaking impossible."

Sporting clays makes you think. Trap and skeet just make you concentrate/focus.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Several years ago I got a ride around tour of PG clays range. The guy threw a couple of birds from each station. With my eyes I know there is no way I can do it. I couldn't even see the birds or where they were coming form until too late. Sucks because I'd love to try it.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Several years ago I got a ride around tour of PG clays range. The guy threw a couple of birds from each station. With my eyes I know there is no way I can do it. I couldn't even see the birds or where they were coming form until too late. Sucks because I'd love to try it.

Shoot with a group and just shoot last all the time. That way, you get to see the birds several times before it is your turn. I am usually the lead off person when I shoot with my brothers, dad, and/or friends. It makes it somewhat easier for everybody else.

STeveZ

Thank you, Abelard
    Sep 22, 2011
    Aberdeen, MD
    Shoot with a group and just shoot last all the time. That way, you get to see the birds several times before it is your turn. I am usually the lead off person when I shoot with my brothers, dad, and/or friends. It makes it somewhat easier for everybody else.

Part of the fun of sporting clays is figuring out the shot as a group; see the targets, discuss your options, run a couple guinea pigs through and the last few guys have a fighting chance. :)

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Part of the fun of sporting clays is figuring out the shot as a group; see the targets, discuss your options, run a couple guinea pigs through and the last few guys have a fighting chance. :)

Yep, there is one at PG that always gives me trouble, even though I have seen it plenty of times. It is an incomer from the right that crosses behind a huge tree. The tree is the only thing out there. As soon as it passes the tree, it starts to drop, and drop hard. You can see the mound of clays where it will land if it remains unbroken. I always try to shoot it after the tree, because before the tree it is out there. Next time, I think I am going to put in a full choke and try to break it before the tree.

Sadly, I am usually the guinea pig. However, even then sporting clays is a ton of fun.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    They can all be hit. Doesn't mean they will all be hit. Some are just extremely challenging. I still remember one presentation on the eastern shore. There was a lane through the middle of some trees/brush in a field. The target was thrown from the left to the right on the far side of the trees. The shooter had to break it in that little alley through the trees/brush. It took me 6 attempts before I figured out that I had to pull the trigger right before it got to the clearing using a follow through method. Once I figured that out, it was easy to break it. When I first approached it, I said "This is freaking impossible."

Sporting clays makes you think. Trap and skeet just make you concentrate/focus.

You have not seen some presentations I have seen. :)

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    You have not seen some presentations I have seen. :)

Tight enough choke, right load, and enough lead, and I bet the bird can be broken. I've killed geese out to 60 yards when most people thought the shots were "impossible". Same goes for doves. I doubt a course designer is going to make something that is truly impossible to hit that is thrown at 100 yards away as an out goer.

Yes, some are ridiculously hard, but that is the challenge, figuring them out. Shooting live birds is ridiculously hard because unless you have bursts of wind, clays take a predictable line. Live birds, not so much.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    There was a place outside of Kansas City that had a course called "The High and Fast Course."

I am not sure that some of those were breakable. Except by shear luck. They billed it as impossible to hit 100%. But it was FUN. After a run over that course, a normal course seemed to need Cylinder choke for every shot. :)

And a good course designer gives you a presentation where the flight path looks predictable, but what you predict is NOT what the actual flight path is. :)

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Shooting at real birds is hard no doubt. Have used many many shells to kill a few of those damned doves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom