• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Travis Bickle

Jul 13, 2012
    MoCo
    The gas piston of my yugo 59/66 sks is stuck in the gas tube. It won't move at all. I assume from corrosion/rust/carbon build up. In the third picture you can see the piston head has a lot of carbon on it. This rifle has never been fired by me.

I have tried soaking it in hoppe's #9 copper/lead solvent remover. I have tried putting it in boiling water and I have been whacking at it with a hammer and punch. I'm scared if I go at it too much harder I'm going to bend up the gas tube and ruin it. I already have ammo on the way and I'm only getting more frustrated with it. Anyone have any ideas before I just give up and order a tapco gas system?

lOyQxeO.jpg
    tPLd8pt.jpg
    k1mmLpd.jpg

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    maybe try some oven cleaner, see if you can get some liquid in the other end. I doubt you would bend the gas tube before it broke free, Id just put it larger side on a piece of wood and use a punch/hammer to tap it out.

Jason21237

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2011
    Delta,PA
    Go to the auto parts store and get a bottle of marvel mystery oil. Let it soak and it will likely break free. Pb blaster or a similar penetrating oil would probably free it as well.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Why is the wood and retaining ferrule missing?

With a solid wood block on some concrete it should break loose. Put the wider end on the wood and hit the tail of the piston with a short blunted punch and a bigger are hammer.

Travis Bickle

Jul 13, 2012
    MoCo
    Why is the wood and retaining ferrule missing?

With a solid wood block on some concrete it should break loose. Put the wider end on the wood and hit the tail of the piston with a short blunted punch and a bigger are hammer.

It's a yugo sks in a Chinese stock. It still had the Yugo handguard on it, so I am going to put the matching Chinese handguard in its place. Taking it off made it easier to soak the whole thing in the solvent anyway.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I would soak it for at least 24 hours in Kroil. Two or three days would be better. Hoppes #9 is not a penetrant or rust remover. Kroil is both. For clarity, by "soak", I mean submerge.

Travis Bickle

Jul 13, 2012
    MoCo
    What condition is the rest of the gun in?

The rest of the gun is in really good condition. External bluing is close to perfect. Unfortunately the inside of the gas tube was rusted pretty good. I've scrubbed the rust out but It's still left with some bad pitting. The piston still looks pretty good but there is still some pitting on the piston head.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    As long as the piston don't bind it should function. The Gas Tube just guides the piston for the most part.

If you have issues then blevins the secondary piston under the rear sight so it protrudes toward the muzzle more will put more tension on the primary piston allowing better function.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom