• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SolomonsCommune

Tomato Grower
    Mar 28, 2013
    Calvert County
    I bought one of those Wideners SKS's that were refurbed/rebuilt in Bosnia. Really happy with the look and feel of the gun. Finally got a chance to shoot it the other day and it seemed to fire flawlessly... (the first couple shots ha)

After a couple shots I noticed the latch that locks the handguard/gas cylinder had popped up. I latched it back down and continued firing. At the end of the 10 rounds I noticed it had popped back up again. Since the bolt had locked open (empty) I also noticed that the secondary piston (the one I assume controls cycling the bolt between shots) was still sticking out and appeared stuck...

So I just took it all apart. The bigger gas piston seems fine. I used a tool to push the smaller secondary piston out and this is what it looked like:

I don't think I ever pulled it when I 'thought' I totally broke down and cleaned the gun so I don't know what it looked like to begin with...

Anyone have any idea what happened or could give me a good site to order sks parts from?
    Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_1142.jpg
      IMG_1142.jpg
      14.1 KB · Views: 761

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    I've fired about 1000 rounds through my SKS. No issues and really don't know what would cause that part to bend like that. Most sources I've seen call it the "operating rod." I've seen them for sale on gunbroker, ebay, lots of other sites, it should be under $10 plus shipping. Might even find it on Amazon. Here's one I found with a quick google search: http://www.copesdistributing.com/chinese-operating-p-1754.html

Let me ask you this, there is a spring installed around this operating rod. Was one present on your rifle?

cestrella13

Cosmoline Dreams
    Mar 21, 2013
    Montgomery County
    You mentioned you pushed out the small piston; was there no spring around it? That may be the problem and shouldn't be hard to replace.

Also, I would recommend watching a disassembly/reassembly video to make sure everything else is in order; did you clean well?

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    I agree with the above posters, if there was no spring that may be the problem and could cause this problem. I neglected to put my spring back in once after cosmoline cleaning, and the rifle DOES function this way as the bolt carrier slams it back forward after every shot. I realized it was messed up when the bolt locked open and the op rod was halfway out still.

You might be able to bend it back into shape, but I would just get a new one.

For the record, if the bolt carrier and not the spring keeps pushing it forward, I think it pushes at an angle, and that is EXACTLY the kind of bending damage it would cause. Could be that even if there is a spring in there that it got caught on some gunk, or was just plain weak.

SolomonsCommune

Tomato Grower
    Mar 28, 2013
    Calvert County
    Thanks for the replies.

Yes the main gas piston moves freely and is free from any bends or damage.

Yes there was a spring present on the piston extension which is why I wondered why the extension was still sticking out by an inch and a half when the bolt locked open when it was empty. I believe I saw that while I was halfway through the ten rounds I put in it but having never shot the rifle or even an sks before it didn't register as that weird at the time.

I do think that I neglected to pull that extension out during first cleaning and thinking about it now, I'm pretty sure I had a hard time getting the latch locked when I put it back together that first time. Maybe I bound it up somehow from the get go.

I understand why it was sticking out at the end of my shooting : it was pinching itself in the tube because it was slightly bent. I just don't understand why it happened. I'm sure it was user error :D.

I guess all I can do is order a new one, preferably with a new spring and try again, making sure to put the sucker back together the right way this time to be sure.

One last question. Were all these 'extensions' the same size no matter what model sks it is? My barrel is what I can only assume is a replacement yugo barrel that never got the actual grenade launching end put on it. Left over stock or something... I bought the thing and never realized it was a funky 'in between/ refurbished rifle. It seems in like new condition and is a good shooter and looker despite all the negative comments on threads I've read since purchasing. I'm assuming that I was the problem here though.

Thanks again.

SolomonsCommune

Tomato Grower
    Mar 28, 2013
    Calvert County
    oh, and to reply to Alphabrew's post, one thing did seem weird to me after I put it back together when I first got it. I could hear the main piston sliding back and forth in the gas tube when I tipped the rifle up and down. I wondered if that should be happening when it was put back together.

cestrella13

Cosmoline Dreams
    Mar 21, 2013
    Montgomery County
    oh, and to reply to Alphabrew's post, one thing did seem weird to me after I put it back together when I first got it. I could hear the main piston sliding back and forth in the gas tube when I tipped the rifle up and down. I wondered if that should be happening when it was put back together.
    That should be ok because the gas piston floats freely within the tube.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine

No, that should not be happening. The spring should put pressure on that op rod which in turn puts pressure on the gas piston. I can't hear the gas piston moving on my SKSs when they are assembled. Can you remove the upper hand guard with the rifle assembled? You should not be able to.

cestrella13

Cosmoline Dreams
    Mar 21, 2013
    Montgomery County
    No, that should not be happening. The spring should put pressure on that op rod which in turn puts pressure on the gas piston. I can't hear the gas piston moving on my SKSs when they are assembled. Can you remove the upper hand guard with the rifle assembled? You should not be able to.
    Ahhhh, good point; I tipped my SKS up/down, and I cannot "hear" mine move. I suggested freely because once you remove the gas tube, the gas piston slides right out.

SolomonsCommune

Tomato Grower
    Mar 28, 2013
    Calvert County
    Thanks for all the replies... maybe with the main piston being loose it slammed into the piston extension on the first round which caused it to slam into the bolt and bend... who knows. Maybe it was jacked up when I bought it ha...

Anyway, need a new one. Will be ordering one today. Thanks for all the help and advice.

SolomonsCommune

Tomato Grower
    Mar 28, 2013
    Calvert County
    Hate to bring up an old thread. Just thought that I'd shed some light on the problem. It seems as though this group of weird 'Wideners SKS's' had soft piston extensions.

That is why mine bent. The problem is, I ended up ordering a replacement extension before reading this :

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?319679-Yugo-quot-m59-quot-sks-problem

thread, so I got a piston extension that didn't fit my sks. Apparently the ones from AimSurplus that are labeled 'Albanian' actually fit vs all the other ones for sale.

Anyway, I'm due a delivery on Tuesday so I'll let you know if they fit, in case anyone else has the same problem. Seems there are quite a few people out there that ordered this rifle.

bkraft

Jul 24, 2008
    Eldersburg
    I didn't see this thread the first time around, but I'm pretty certain I have a spare op rod laying around.... Buymilsurp sent me one in place of a different part I ordered, but by the time I opened the package, months had gone by so I didn't try to return it.

If someone needs one, PM me and I'll see if I can't find it for you.

SolomonsCommune

Tomato Grower
    Mar 28, 2013
    Calvert County
    Ok. Again I'm posting ha.

So, I received the new gas piston extensions today from Aimsurplus. It fit like a glove compared to the bigger one I bought from CopeDistributing. Of course the one that was too big cost me 10 bucks and the ones from Aimsurplus that actually fit were 1.50 per...

So I replaced the piston extension and spring, then installed the gas piston/gas tube and housing. I slipped the locking lever down and everything seems fine EXCEPT I can still hear my gas piston (the big one, not the extension) sliding just a bit, back and forth.

It was my understanding from the posts here, and common sense, that after putting it all back together, and sliding the locking lever down, that the gas piston extension should come free inside (with the spring pressure) and press against the gas piston. That doesn't seem to be happening and I don't know why.

If I were to go fire it now, the gas piston isn't pressed against the extension, meaning on the pull of the trigger the piston would travel 1/8 or 1/4 inch freely before slamming into the extension to cycle the bolt. That seems like I'd be putting undue pressure to both the piston and extension.

Maybe I'm not doing something right. I'll have to check out some youtube videos I guess.

Anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate it.

Edited to add: Just to throw it out there that after dealing with this fix, which isn't fixed just yet, I've realized that not all sks piston extensions/operating rods are the same size. Just a heads up for anyone that finds this using an internet search or something. The Albanian ones from Aimsurplus are smaller than the ones I ordered thru CopeDistributing.

Also, if anyone knows they need one of the bigger ones, I'll send it to you free of charge as I have no use for it. Just pm me and it's yours.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    any pics? I think the extension should be locked under the bar...the only time it should move is when the gas tube comes back. Is there a gap with the gas tube?

It should look like this...

IMG_0672.jpg

SolomonsCommune

Tomato Grower
    Mar 28, 2013
    Calvert County
    I don't have any pics at the time. The extension IS locked under the bar, but I don't think its supposed to be. Either that or the piston in this rifle isn't the right size because I hear it moving back and forth when I tip the rifle up and down. Just a little bit of course. It's only moving an 1/8th or 1/4 of an inch, but that seems like it'd be detrimental to the parts to be slamming into the extension.

I was just under the impression that the parts would push up against each other and 'become one' so that when the gas cycles the bolt, that there wouldn't be any slamming going on. That's why I thought the extension would be set free and the spring would push it against the piston once the locking lever for the gas tube was down and into place.

SolomonsCommune

Tomato Grower
    Mar 28, 2013
    Calvert County
    That's what mine looks like. When you put yours back together can you hear the bigger piston in the gas tube moving back and forth when you tip the rifle up and down? That's my issue. I didn't think it was supposed to be like that

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    That's what mine looks like. When you put yours back together can you hear the bigger piston in the gas tube moving back and forth when you tip the rifle up and down? That's my issue. I didn't think it was supposed to be like that

I checked my Russian sks...there is a little play in the gas rod. Its not much though Im taking a guess at 1/16" ... the gas tube fits tight against the rear sight when you lock the tube in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom