SKS on the way.... maybe or WTH Century?!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bkraft

Jul 24, 2008
    Eldersburg
    So, some of you may remember the thread I posted back at the end of Feb beginning of March where my boy and I completely went through a M59/66 as a nice Father/Son project before he went off to Parris Island for the USMC.

We had a blast and it has turned into a really nice tack driver. I could tell my Son really loved that gun after investing so much time in it, plus I thought it will always be a memory he can share, so I told him that as soon as he graduated from Boot Camp, the gun would be his. If he found out where he would be stationed and could have it, we would find a FFL where ever he was to do a transfer, or, if he was being shipped out for awhile, I would simply hold onto it until the time he told me he wanted it, then we'd make it happen.

So... this all led me to looking for a new SKS for myself. After all, I couldn't very well just give away my SKS and not replace it ;) On March 9th, I placed an order with Century for a "u-fix-em" SKS. This SKS we had just built came from Century and was a u-fix-em. Since I was planning to go through the whole thing anyway, I figured this was a smart, cheap way of getting another. I received an email confirmation of my order.

On March 19th, seeing no other progress on my order and no charge to my bank account (I've ordered from Century plenty and have never had an order take more than 4 days to my door.) I called customer service to see what the deal was.

I explained to the guy that I wasn't in a hurry, it wasn't a big deal, but it had been over a week and that was unusual for them, I wanted to make sure there wasn't a problem.

He looked up the order, said that they showed stock, he tested my payment method with two $1 charges and they both went through, then said he had no idea why the order hadn't been processed. He said that he guessed it "could" be out of stock even though it showed they had some. He would call over to the warehouse and verify. He then put me on hold. He came back a few minutes later and said he was unable to get an answer at the warehouse, but there was no reason my order hadn't been processed so he would follow up and send me an email to let me know what was going on.

I received nothing and didn't hear from Century again until March 26th. At that time, I got an automated email saying my order was "updated". I looked at the email and it said my order status had now been changed to "Complete". Hmmm... complete. Still no charge to my bank account, no shipment email... I'd wait another week and see if anything showed up. If so, great, if not, I would assume they were out of stock and just closed my order.

Well, I've been watching and all this time both online and in print catalogs I recieved it said the rifles were in stock. But no charge ever hit my account and nothing ever arrived. I figured I missed the boat on that one.

So this morning, 5/11, a charge hits my account from Century for the amount of the rifle?!?! So I'm assuming this means they are now shipping one to me, though I have gotten no other email correspondence. I guess I'll know in a couple days.

On the other side of the coin, I just made a REALLY large purchase that I had to warm the wife up to. To say the least, she was NOT happy to see the charge from Century :o I think I'm in the doghouse now.

bkraft

Jul 24, 2008
    Eldersburg
    I think she's already over it... but she hinted that I'm going to need to buy her something now to make up for it. :lol2:

So I just saw the charge hit this morning.... and UPS tried to deliver it today! Of course I was out of the house for 30 minutes and missed him.

My UPS driver is the best ever. This isn't the first time he's done this, but he called me from his cell phone to say he'd be in the area until 6pm and would I be home for him to attempt to redeliver today?

I met him at a local establishment and picked up my package.

I'll get pics up soon. Probably next week. I'm busy as heck and wasn't expecting this at all.

At an initial inspection, it looks really good. It is missing the safety lever - no big deal. It also has a good chunk out of the butt pad.... I have an extra one here, but I don't think I'm reusing this stock anyway so it doesn't matter.

Everything appears to function/dry fire fine. Though this thing is coated in so much cosmo that everything operates as one big sticky mess. I swear this is probably the most cosmo I've seen on a rifle to date. It even surpasses the nasty cleaning job I had on my old Longbranch.

Something didn't look right about the barrel of this rifle.... couldn't put my finger on it.... bayonet lug is there, baynoet is there, grenade sight is there, night sights are there, grenade launcher.... Then it hit me.... The tip of the grenade launcher has holes drilled in it all the way around and it may/may not be slightly shorter than I remember... I'll have to compare it to my other two. It looks to me like someone removed the grenade launcher and replaced it with one of the grenade launcher-looking muzzle brakes...

Other than that, this thing looks like it has a lot of promise so far... I feel good about buying a SKS for under $200.... even if I do have to do some minor maintenance....

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    I think she's already over it... but she hinted that I'm going to need to buy her something now to make up for it. :lol2:

So I just saw the charge hit this morning.... and UPS tried to deliver it today! Of course I was out of the house for 30 minutes and missed him.

My UPS driver is the best ever. This isn't the first time he's done this, but he called me from his cell phone to say he'd be in the area until 6pm and would I be home for him to attempt to redeliver today?

I met him at a local establishment and picked up my package.

I'll get pics up soon. Probably next week. I'm busy as heck and wasn't expecting this at all.

At an initial inspection, it looks really good. It is missing the safety lever - no big deal. It also has a good chunk out of the butt pad.... I have an extra one here, but I don't think I'm reusing this stock anyway so it doesn't matter.

Everything appears to function/dry fire fine. Though this thing is coated in so much cosmo that everything operates as one big sticky mess. I swear this is probably the most cosmo I've seen on a rifle to date. It even surpasses the nasty cleaning job I had on my old Longbranch.

Something didn't look right about the barrel of this rifle.... couldn't put my finger on it.... bayonet lug is there, baynoet is there, grenade sight is there, night sights are there, grenade launcher.... Then it hit me.... The tip of the grenade launcher has holes drilled in it all the way around and it may/may not be slightly shorter than I remember... I'll have to compare it to my other two. It looks to me like someone removed the grenade launcher and replaced it with one of the grenade launcher-looking muzzle brakes...

Other than that, this thing looks like it has a lot of promise so far... I feel good about buying a SKS for under $200.... even if I do have to do some minor maintenance....

Sounds like a CA model.

like this?
    http://gastatic.com/UserImages/235/976929592/wm_933790.jpg

psoyring

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2010
    Brunswick MD
    You are way too worried about transferring the SKS to your son. Assuming he can drive, just have him throw it in the car next time he visits and take it with him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom