• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sandbanger

how's it going eisenhower
    Dec 14, 2010
    Firstly I searched the 123412354threads on here as to not make a dupe posting.

Im interested in purchasing an sks, however I have 0:sad20: familiarity with the rifle.
    My question is to the owners of sks',

which sks do you prefer?
    for what reasons?
    Should I disregard the Yugos because of their lack of chrome?
    What should i realistically expect in range from these rifles?
    What should I look for when purchasing an SKS?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Most Yugos bores are corroded. It because the Yugo ammo was corrosive and there was no chrome lining. If you can get an unissued yugo with a mint bore they are one of the best. I have one and with a red dot it holds 3" groups @ 100

Romanian SKS's are about the best bang for the buck curently, they are chrome lined. Stocks are usually beat up but an overall very nice gun.

Chinese and Russina are nice, and have chrome lining too, but are usually more costly. Most CHinese guns are neutered with the bayonet removed.

Bring a bore light when shopping, look at the bore. Dont get one with a crappy bore. Dont buy online, you may get a bad example, go to the local shops. If they dont have any ask if they can order one with a shiney bore.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Just verify (1) the bore is in good condition, and (2) the gas selector valve turns freely (assuming you are buying an M59/66, the M59's don't have a gas selector.)

Yugos are GREAT rifles, very well made, and if the original owner took decent care of them they're a bargain even at $300. I wish I'd have bought a case of them when they were selling unissued rifles for $170.

Chrome lining won't matter going forward, if you plan on shooting quality, non-milsurp, non-corrosive ammo.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    I've even taken "poor" corroded Yugo's and seen them shoot well after cleaning up the bore. If you can take the rifle out and shoot it... that's what matters most, bore condition won't always tell the whole story... obviously a nice shiny bore is more likely to shoot well, but some nasty bores that aren't shot out may surprise you.

I like the Yugo's in general despite the lack of chrome. Although I have a 16" chinese now in a bullpup stock that I really like too.

Mark

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    A Yugo SKS is a solid rifle in my opinion, very well built. The bore on mine is pretty solid, especially considering it's a Yugo. Here's a pair of videos on assembly and disassembly.

sandbanger

Dec 14, 2010
    What do you feel are fair prices spread between the three? I'm not looking for a rarity just a few SHTF rifles.

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    I. was lucky and got an unissued yugo. I can hold 3" at 100 yards with iron sights. I would check the classifieds here...you might be able to shoot it first. And btw, its really cool when your sks outshoots those aks!

Garand1957

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 30, 2007
    The War Room
    You should be able to pick up a like new Chinese SKS for around $275 with a little searching. A few in that price range and condition sold on this forum in the last few months.
    The Chinese is a better rifle and a better value as a shooter than a Yugo M59/66 because it's lighter and far less likely to have reliabilty issues with the gas system.
    If you can find the more rare M/59 Yugo that would be a better choice but will cost you a lot more $.
    If you want a really nice SKS with both current and future collector value get a Russian. One was just purchased by a member here for $200 ;)

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    What do you feel are fair prices spread between the three? I'm not looking for a rarity just a few SHTF rifles.

Century has them pretty cheap...

$319 for VG condition Yugo's and SOG has them fairly cheap as well.

If you are looking for a SHTF arsenal (to arm people other than yourself) I would recommend a mosin... Simple to operate, Nearly idiot proof, and cheap.

You can store 5 Mosin's and a 1000 rounds of ammo for well under $600. If you think they need more than that, invest in some TTC pistols or CZ-82's for close range self defense.

Still the SKS is an interesting choice (and not a bad choice either.) 5 SKS's (even at $250 each) and 1000 rounds of ammo ($200) puts you at around $1500 when all is said and done.

Mark

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    Firstly I searched the 123412354threads on here as to not make a dupe posting.

Im interested in purchasing an sks, however I have 0:sad20: familiarity with the rifle.
    My question is to the owners of sks',

which sks do you prefer?
    for what reasons?
    Should I disregard the Yugos because of their lack of chrome?
    What should i realistically expect in range from these rifles?
    What should I look for when purchasing an SKS?

Don't waste your money. When they were 100-200 dollars fine. But nowadays the price is so close to that of an AK you might as well go that route.

jdramsey

Troll hunter.
    Aug 5, 2009
    St. Mary's Co. MD
    I've had a Romanian SKS for years. Shoots great for an SKS. Very dependable. Plan on doing a little trigger work no matter what SKS you buy. They all tend to have and lot of trigger creap, usualy a rather rough creap at that. and negative sear engagement is typical. But that can all be easily corrected with about a hours work with a file and some honing stones.

See here: http://sailorcurt.blogspot.com/search/label/SKS

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Yugo's are good if everything is either unissued or well maintained. I went through plenty of headaches just to get my corroded one that I bought and let sit for years to shoot properly. Romanians are nice as collectibles and shooters. My best shooter is my Chinese model I bought for $129 from a pawn shop 8 years ago. No bayonet lug, but is a fantastic shooter and the most accurate of the three I own.

sandbanger

Dec 14, 2010
    You should be able to pick up a like new Chinese SKS for around $275 with a little searching. A few in that price range and condition sold on this forum in the last few months.
    The Chinese is a better rifle and a better value as a shooter than a Yugo M59/66 because it's lighter and far less likely to have reliabilty issues with the gas system.
    If you can find the more rare M/59 Yugo that would be a better choice but will cost you a lot more $.
    If you want a really nice SKS with both current and future collector value get a Russian. One was just purchased by a member here for $200 ;)

yes i wanted that 200 sks but the web wouldnt work at my house, I saw it while at work and wanted to buy it, got home and it was gone :(

jtarpley59

live free or die
    Jan 6, 2010
    Churchton
    Just came back from the range today and shoot my Russian and my brother-in-laws new Yugo I got him for Christmas both shoot perfectly beautiful rifles what Clandestine said is spot on.

sandbanger

Dec 14, 2010
    So from what I gather, stay away from yugos unless you can get an unissued. Romys are good for the buck. and mark p I got a mosin :) oh and making sure to bring a bore light. Do i have to do a shit town of paperwork in md to get an sks? I'm not used to the commie laws here. Is it better to just wait to a fellow md shooter sells theirs? Or should i go to a gunshow in VA and pick it up

Sirex