Slimline Glock Trigger Mods (42,43,43x,48)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Took the plunge on a new G43X MOS the other day and I'm really liking it, with the exception of the trigger. I know their are stories about people getting a good trigger out of the box, and sometimes a bad one, but over the 4 other Glocks I own, they have all been "acceptable-to-good". Well, this new G43X is not acceptable in my book. I need to get a trigger pull gauge, but I estimate it to be in the 7.5-8.5lb range. What is interesting is that it has the cleanest break and the shortest reset of all of my Glocks, but the wall is just too darn stiff. I dry fired for over an hour last night and could not get my trigger press to a point that I was happy with. Almost reminds me of my buddies old SIGMA with a cleaner break...not good.

All that said, I am now looking at changing out the connector and possibly the plunger safety spring to try and remedy this. I am looking towards the Ghost Edge 3.5 connector here:

For context, I am fairly well versed in the Glock platform and am comfortable with light gunsmithing. My biggest priority is carry-safety, so I am not one to push the limits when it comes to mods. My nightstand G17 wears an Apex trigger shoe, double diamond connector, and a high polish safety plunger.

There doesn't seem to be a ton of info on parts swapping for these slimline Glocks, so I figure I would start a thread.

My stock gen 5 G26 which this was set to replace has a wonderful trigger in comparison. Easily half the weight.

Last edited:

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    I've been waiting for Apex to release a trigger kit because I was pretty satisfied with the trigger upgrade from Apex on my G17. So far-- just the shoe and connector for $105 for the G43x from Apex. The Glock store has their Pyramid kits that run from $189 - $259. Just seems like a hefty chunk of change for the upgrade. So--- glad you started the thread and I'll be interested to see where it takes us--

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Took the plunge on a new G43X MOS the other day and I'm really liking it, with the exception of the trigger. I know their are stories about people getting a good trigger out of the box, and sometimes a bad one, but over the 4 other Glocks I own, they have all been "acceptable-to-good". Well, this new G43X is not acceptable in my book. I need to get a trigger pull gauge, but I estimate it to be in the 7.5-8.5lb range. What is interesting is that it has the cleanest break and the shortest reset of all of my Glocks, but the wall is just too darn stiff. I dry fired for over an hour last night and could not get my trigger press to a point that I was happy with. Almost reminds me of my buddies old SIGMA with a cleaner break...not good.

All that said, I am now looking at changing out the connector and possibly the plunger safety spring to try and remedy this. I am looking towards the Ghost Edge 3.5 connector here:

For context, I am fairly well versed in the Glock platform and am comfortable with light gunsmithing. My biggest priority is carry-safety, so I am not one to push the limits when it comes to mods. My nightstand G17 wears an Apex trigger shoe, double diamond connector, and a high polish safety plunger.

There doesn't seem to be a ton of info on parts swapping for these slimline Glocks, so I figure I would start a thread.

My stock gen 5 G26 which this was set to replace has a wonderful trigger in comparison. Easily half the weight.
    IMHO, get a cheap trigger gauge. They can be had for like $20-25 for the mechanical ones.

Anyway, I'd look at a reduced power trigger spring over a connector if you like that wall, but don't like how hard it is. A minus connector will make the trigger pull to break longer and less defined. I've been doing a ton of work on my glocks and a minus connector was the least pleasant, IMHO.

I went with polydat trigger shoes in all of my Glocks and it is very nice. But because of the change in leverage it increased the trigger pull. A reduced power spring put it back to about stock 5-5.5lb pull, but much better wall, shorter travel and shorter reset. A reduced power safety is only going to get you about 2-4oz reduced trigger pull weight (I have a bunch sitting on my bench, only installed them in one Glock). The minus connector can get you 1-2lbs reduced pull, but it will increase trigger travel, reduce tactile feedback in the trigger. None of the 3/3.5# connectors I've tried I've liked. I do have a 4.5# minus connector that feels okay and I plan to have that live in my G34. The trigger feels lighter, but not quite as crisp. But for a higher volume shooting gun I think that would be a nice compromise where I might want to shoot a couple of hundred rounds. Not that I do competition or anything. For a carry gun, I absolutely would not want that. And in general just for a range gun, I'd prefer the slightly heavier, but much crisper trigger of not using any minus connector, even the 4.5#.

The other stuff like polishing all of the things, the trigger shoe, reduced power trigger spring and reduced power safety plunger spring all improve the trigger and/or make it lighter without having a negative impact on trigger feel or travel.

I would NOT get a very light trigger spring, as that will adversely impact trigger reset and I would not go with a lighter striker to improve trigger feel.

Sure, some race gun maybe I would do those things, but not a carry piece.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    IMHO, get a cheap trigger gauge. They can be had for like $20-25 for the mechanical ones.

Anyway, I'd look at a reduced power trigger spring over a connector if you like that wall, but don't like how hard it is. A minus connector will make the trigger pull to break longer and less defined. I've been doing a ton of work on my glocks and a minus connector was the least pleasant, IMHO.

I went with polydat trigger shoes in all of my Glocks and it is very nice. But because of the change in leverage it increased the trigger pull. A reduced power spring put it back to about stock 5-5.5lb pull, but much better wall, shorter travel and shorter reset. A reduced power safety is only going to get you about 2-4oz reduced trigger pull weight (I have a bunch sitting on my bench, only installed them in one Glock). The minus connector can get you 1-2lbs reduced pull, but it will increase trigger travel, reduce tactile feedback in the trigger. None of the 3/3.5# connectors I've tried I've liked. I do have a 4.5# minus connector that feels okay and I plan to have that live in my G34. The trigger feels lighter, but not quite as crisp. But for a higher volume shooting gun I think that would be a nice compromise where I might want to shoot a couple of hundred rounds. Not that I do competition or anything. For a carry gun, I absolutely would not want that. And in general just for a range gun, I'd prefer the slightly heavier, but much crisper trigger of not using any minus connector, even the 4.5#.

The other stuff like polishing all of the things, the trigger shoe, reduced power trigger spring and reduced power safety plunger spring all improve the trigger and/or make it lighter without having a negative impact on trigger feel or travel.

I would NOT get a very light trigger spring, as that will adversely impact trigger reset and I would not go with a lighter striker to improve trigger feel.

Sure, some race gun maybe I would do those things, but not a carry piece.
    Good advice thanks.

I'm going to throw a few hundred rounds down range first to see how I actually shoot with it and if it loosens up at all.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Good advice thanks.

I'm going to throw a few hundred rounds down range first to see how I actually shoot with it and if it loosens up at all.
    I mean, you may find you like a lighter connector. I had a ghost 3.5# in my G17 for its whole life until recently. I got a LE G21 about 2 years ago and liked the trigger on it more than my G17. It took building a 19 and then starting to mess with the triggers in all three to really figure out what I liked (I have also shot other people's bone stock glocks) and I realized I really didn't like minus connectors. Lighter trigger is great, but the feel was just not there for me. The 4.5# one I got (I can look at the manufacturer if interested) was a decent compromise, but a lot more tinkering, polishing, parts trying, and trigger time and I just decided a polished stock connector was the best feel for. Like I said, lighter (4.5) was still a good trigger feel, but it wasn't AS good. The lighter weight was a nice compromise though if I thought I might go shoot a few boxes down range. Maybe I need to do finger exercises, but my finger starts to get a bit tired once I hit about 100, 150 rounds.

(my G34 is still sitting as parts in my safe and drawers as I need a locking block to finish the build and I am looking at a very specific one that has been out of stock for months).

If you haven't try looking at the 25 cent trigger jobs. Some 1000 grit wet sandpaper or very fine steel wool and 5 minutes polishing some of the surfaces that rub against each other can decently improve the trigger feel and also reduce the weight a few ounces. Not going to turn an 8# trigger in to a 4# trigger. But it can reduce the force by 5-10% (more if it is really rough).

Last edited:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Apex trigger and conector(included) are day and night better than the stock trigger(worst Glock trigger I have ever felt). It is as 'touchy' a trigger as I want on a carry gun.

I love my 48X since making the change-over.

Dataluss

To KEEP and BEAR ARMS, Shall NOT be Infringed.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 9, 2022
    Owings Mills MD
    I have a 43x also. However I've ONLY upgraded cosmetics ( Houge grip, tritium sites, TLR6 ) So my internals are still STOCK. I love, love LOVE the way it fits my semi large hands, as well as how it fires, returns to position, and fires on target groups again. However I agree the trigger pulls DON'T match up to my Sig Sauer P320 Xcompact with Romeo1 Pro. Ok NO MOS on the Glock, (I'd rather co-witness, NOT just drop an MOS in the dovetail ) But the trigger pull on the SIG is significantly nicer, lighter, tighter, stronger, just crispier. Paid $530 for the 43x new, $1100 for the Sig new.... But hmmm :eek: I love the way the 43x ( TBH, Any my Glocks ) IMO, OUT-performs my Sig, EXCEPT trigger pull. So, I'd also like to see about getting the same or darn close of the SIG's trigger pull/action into my 43x.

Last edited:

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    I have the Apex that didn't work on my P80 that went overboard in a boating accident. Took it out just before then. Spoke with Apex and they said that they could not (and did not) state that would work in a P80. I wil resist the classified ad for anyone that is interested.

shocker998md

Ultimate Member
    May 29, 2009
    Snow Hill MD
    I'm a cheap bastard but here's my two sense as a g48 owner and carrier, and mess with 19s 17s and attempt to home build but that's kicking my butt.

In the past on gen 3s I'd pop a ghost connector in and run it. I think the rocket, or the ultimate, which ever is the one least like to need tuned up for fitment per instructions.

I then got a stock gen 5 19 and a 48. I tried the glock store black ice connector in each and I wasn't digging getting past the wall.

So now I put the stock g5 stuff in and looked at every contact point in the connector, trigger bar, anything that touches anything for witness marks. Sharpied them as an outline die and gave it a mag or two. Then followed up with a dermal, cotton roll, quick touch of flits topped by a mirror finish of mother's. Had everything on the shelf and didn't go crazy with flitz due to have a slight appraise to it. Then buffed with a fuzzy soft wheel and had two triggers that are good. For an hour of work, hands on how your trigger system works and zero money spent since it's detailing stuff I have.

Do you have an hour? Try it, learn were the wall is physically and mechanically and tune it up. You won't make it worse with the items above.

[Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland
    For those that swapped the G43x factory trigger with the Apex upgrade: is it worth getting the kit with the bar or just the trigger? I ask this only because the kit with the bar is sold out everywhere.

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    For those that swapped the G43x factory trigger with the Apex upgrade: is it worth getting the kit with the bar or just the trigger? I ask this only because the kit with the bar is sold out everywhere.
    I upgraded w/just the trigger because the trigger and bar have been sold out for what seems like forever. Anyway-- the changeover/install was a little tricky for me (bad eyes) but I got it done. I've been very happy with the Apex trigger, it made the firearm much more comfortable to shoot, especially when going through several boxes of ammo during a range session. It's certainly a much smoother pull/break without the Glock "squeege"-- well worth the cost.

[Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland
    I upgraded w/just the trigger because the trigger and bar have been sold out for what seems like forever. Anyway-- the changeover/install was a little tricky for me (bad eyes) but I got it done. I've been very happy with the Apex trigger, it made the firearm much more comfortable to shoot, especially when going through several boxes of ammo during a range session. It's certainly a much smoother pull/break without the Glock "squeege"-- well worth the cost.
    What was the difficult part? I'm seeing that removing the OEM trigger from the bar was tough for some.

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    What was the difficult part? I'm seeing that removing the OEM trigger from the bar was tough for some.
    Getting the pivot pin back through the tigger bar. Like I said... most of the issue was due to my eyes and diminishing fine motor skills with my age.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg

A few of my Grocks have the 3.5 double diamond connector. Like you not too much mods. I am interested in one for my new 43x

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    A small punch will take the OEM trigger pin out so you can remove the trigger from the bar. A block with a hole in it will work. Keep the trigger flat on the block, over the hole and drive it out. I actually drilled a hole in the edge of my work bench. For me, it was the easiest way to keep the whole assembly flat.

Apex has a great video on installing their trigger shoe. They recommend using a smooth jaw vise to press the pin in. Also, use a piece of the cardboard packaging as a shim to hold everything in place while using the vise.

I just bought and installed their trigger. My issue wasn't the actual trigger pull. It was my finger having a blister raised up on it after shooting 2 magazines through it. Hands down the most uncomfortable trigger I ever shot.

So far the Apex has been the least shitty trigger I've tried. I went with a Johnny Glock, Tyrant CNC and now the Apex. I need to shoot it a bit more and see if I'm gonna keep it.

[Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland
    A small punch will take the OEM trigger pin out so you can remove the trigger from the bar. A block with a hole in it will work. Keep the trigger flat on the block, over the hole and drive it out. I actually drilled a hole in the edge of my work bench. For me, it was the easiest way to keep the whole assembly flat.

Apex has a great video on installing their trigger shoe. They recommend using a smooth jaw vise to press the pin in. Also, use a piece of the cardboard packaging as a shim to hold everything in place while using the vise.

I just bought and installed their trigger. My issue wasn't the actual trigger pull. It was my finger having a blister raised up on it after shooting 2 magazines through it. Hands down the most uncomfortable trigger I ever shot.

So far the Apex has been the least shitty trigger I've tried. I went with a Johnny Glock, Tyrant CNC and now the Apex. I need to shoot it a bit more and see if I'm gonna keep it.
    When I was looking at the trigger last night, I noticed the safety blade on the stock trigger was pretty sharp and probably needs to be filed down. That is probably the source of my discomfort.

I will be revisiting your comment when the trigger arrives. Thanks for the tips.

Atrox88

Gold Member
    Jan 7, 2016
    Carroll County
    There are a few good videos on YouTube about filing them. I took the trigger shoe off of a Johnny Glock Evolution Competition trigger assy I had in my G34 and put it into a G42. No more trigger bite and the trigger works flawlessly. It still has about a six pound pull.
    Johnny Glock does have some good, instructive videos on Glocks and I have learned a lot. He also sells a stock Glock shoe that is modified for about $25 that would get rid of the bite as well as smoother performance

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom