Slow down and NEVER let your guard down!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • durkspunk2112

Aug 23, 2014
    Frederick County, Md.
    Let me start with I've hunted for 30 some years and consider myself a fairly safe shooter and hunter but....

Last night my middle son and I went to the range to sight in our muzzle loaders. With limited time before sunset, I probably was more rushed than I should have been. At one point I went to load my gun but I couldn't get the pellets and bullet to seat all the way down. The line, I had etched, on my ramrod confirmed this. After trying to force it down for a few minutes, I unscrewed my breach plug and pushed the loads out. 2 pellets and a sabot came out....and then 2 more pellets and a sabot came out. WTF! In my rush to get both guns sighted in, I double loaded mine.

I've never done this in 30 years but I guess there is always a first time. In my rush, I didn't remember loading it the first time.

Lesson here...you're never too old to do something boneheaded!

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    You are correct about never too experienced to make a mistake.

Our range requires you fire a clearing shot with just a primer before loading.
    In addition, I usually also run a cleaning patch down too.

I do know it would have been a PITA to clear one of my sidelocks if I had double loaded.

pitpawten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 28, 2013
    Kudos for noticing the depth on your rod and stopping to check.

Good lesson for your son too!

durkspunk2112

Aug 23, 2014
    Frederick County, Md.
    Even though I felt like an idiot, it was a good lesson for my son. I have to admit, it shook me up a little bit too. Maybe it was a good thing for both of us.

And yes, the in-line design with the removable breach plug made it much easier to check for the "issue". Pulling a load (OR 2) out would have been a PITA!

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Let me start with I've hunted for 30 some years and consider myself a fairly safe shooter and hunter but....

Last night my middle son and I went to the range to sight in our muzzle loaders. With limited time before sunset, I probably was more rushed than I should have been. At one point I went to load my gun but I couldn't get the pellets and bullet to seat all the way down. The line, I had etched, on my ramrod confirmed this. After trying to force it down for a few minutes, I unscrewed my breach plug and pushed the loads out. 2 pellets and a sabot came out....and then 2 more pellets and a sabot came out. WTF! In my rush to get both guns sighted in, I double loaded mine.

I've never done this in 30 years but I guess there is always a first time. In my rush, I didn't remember loading it the first time.

Lesson here...you're never too old to do something boneheaded!

Been there. Done that. That's why we etch a mark in our rods. Just gotta remember to double check always.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Good for you posting up your experience. :thumbsup:

This thread will serve as a reminder to be safe, all too often people don't share their mistakes out of pride or to avoid possible embarrassment.

new_shooter

Ultimate Member
    Jun 26, 2010
    Even though I felt like an idiot, it was a good lesson for my son. I have to admit, it shook me up a little bit too. Maybe it was a good thing for both of us.

And yes, the in-line design with the removable breach plug made it much easier to check for the "issue". Pulling a load (OR 2) out would have been a PITA!

Making a mistake doesn't make you an idiot.

Now, had you noticed the mistake, but pulled the trigger anyway? That's an idiot moment.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Great reminder of this muzzleloading fundamental!:thumbsup:

I'm largely a hunting season black powder guy only. But that visual and/or etched mark on that ramrod you mention is a fundamental that has saved me some grief in the past also. Especially with a fouled bore, just because a charge and projectile "feel" like they're fully seated doesn't necessarily mean they've been driven all the way home. Quickly picks up a possible double load also as you note. Bad either way, and that ramrod will tell you there's a problem if it's paid attention to.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County

I do know it would have been a PITA to clear one of my sidelocks if I had double loaded.

Get one of these CO2 Ball Dischargers:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/CO-Load-Discharger-Kit-and-Replacement-Cartridges/706432.uts

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/produc...ts_id=15330&osCsid=ib8ql9i1di3hdj7rc8hgd1bl80

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/produc...ts_id=15330&osCsid=ib8ql9i1di3hdj7rc8hgd1bl80

The NS-SA has tanks of compressed air on the firing line for this purpose.

From a famous report:
    Of 35,000 muskets recovered from the battlefield at Gettysburg,

11,000 were unloaded
    24,000 were loaded

6,000 held one round.
    12,000 were double-loaded
    6,000 had between 3 and 10 loads
    1 was loaded with 22 rounds.

This report influenced the adoption of the Trapdoor breechloader.

http://books.google.com/books?id=nc...q=double loaded muskets at Gettysburg&f=false

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    From a famous report:
    Of 35,000 muskets recovered from the battlefield at Gettysburg,

11,000 were unloaded
    24,000 were loaded

6,000 held one round.
    12,000 were double-loaded
    6,000 had between 3 and 10 loads
    1 was loaded with 22 rounds.

This report influenced the adoption of the Trapdoor breechloader.

http://books.google.com/books?id=nc...q=double loaded muskets at Gettysburg&f=false

I don't know for sure but I'm guessing that at least one village did NOT get it's idiot back after that battle.

webb297

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2010
    Bowie
    I don't know for sure but I'm guessing that at least one village did NOT get it's idiot back after that battle.

The guy could have been to scared to fire, or freaked out, but didn't want to be seen not loading his rifle - so he just kept putting em in there.

Nobody

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2009
    I am ignorant on muzzle loaders, what WOULD have happened if he shot the gun?

NOBODY

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Major issue. It would probably blow the barrel off. Ever seen the old cartoons where the barrel peels back like a banana?

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    He was probably completely out of it with shock.

His musket misfired, perhaps due to a clogged flash-channel in the nipple. But he was so overwhelmed by the shock and chaos of combat that he didn't notice his gun didn't fire, so he reloaded and kept reloading. He was in a daze, operating on automatic pilot, without conscious volition repeating from muscle memory the motions of well-practiced drill.

That is the purpose of drill, to keep the soldier functioning effectively when the chaos of battle robs him of his conscious functions.

Eventually he might notice his ramrod getting shorter and shorter. That's what probably happened to the 6,000 other guys who loaded between three and ten rounds before dropping their muskets.

22 rounds would fill the 40 inch barrel of a Model 1861 Springfield all the way to the muzzle. This one guy just kept loading until there was no space left in the barrel to load a 23rd cartridge. Then he dropped his musket, possibly with only a befuddled sense that there was something wrong with it, but no clear understanding of what he had been doing.

-------

If the gun had eventually fired, it probably would have burst. Two or three rounds would probably just blow out the muzzle with a massive recoil, but I think many more loads would blow up the gun, perhaps blow out the nipple and shear the hammer off at least.

Gun writer Sam Fadala experimented with overloaded Hawkin rifles 35 years ago. I believe he was unable to blow up a good heavy barreled Hawkin, even when he loaded it all the way to the muzzle. Everything just blew out the muzzle. His rifles had very heavy barrels, though: much beefier than a Springfield's barrel. http://www.amazon.com/complete-blac...KZM_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1412981584&sr=1-3

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    I am ignorant on muzzle loaders, what WOULD have happened if he shot the gun?

NOBODY

Not a 100% certain, but the gun could have blown or it is possible if the pellets and the second projectile were loaded tight enough, they all would have gone out the gun as a projectile should. The recoil would have been something to behold, like firing a shoulder mounted cannon. It certainly would have doubled or tripled the projectile weight. Glad the OP caught the mistake before any possible injuries occurred.

Just a thought.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    I'm not a BP shooter, but I still thank the OP for sharing his story. It reminds me that I am a human being and need to slow down, including when I'm doing something for the 1000th time, because familiarity breeds complacency, which leads to accidents!

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    A great example of why the "rules" always need to be followed. Treat every gun as if it is loaded.

epps1919

Aug 9, 2010
    SO.MD
    we had a 61 Springfield on the line for musket team at the N-SSA Nats this past weekend blow up. it looks like the breach gave way blow up in 20 pieces, the stock was in broken in 2 pieces. Two people got heart, the shooter and the guy next to him. There wasn't any real serious injures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Imetthevarmit

Latest threads

Top Bottom