• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • W McCollum

May 16, 2013
    Columbia, Maryland
    I've recently been experiencing very slow service from a couple of companies, so I thought I would pass on a caveat emptor if you are considering on-line purchasing from them - Smith and Wesson and Alumalite USA. The details follow. Keep reading if you're interested.

Smith and Wesson's orders are handled by Thompson Center. They have no on-line inventory control, so you will not know when you place an order whether or not the item is in stock. You won't be notified that it is backordered or not available unless you wait a while then call.

I placed an order on July 17 for replacement standard grips for an S&W Model 22A-1 target 22. I called a couple of weeks later and was told that the warehouse shuts down for a while in the Summer and would not be open again until August 12. They confirmed that the grips were in stock and a set was allocated to me. Shortly after August 12 I saw that my bank account had a pending transaction for the amount of my purchase. Life was good!

Not so fast. The pending charge disappeared. I called again. It turns out they had changed computer systems and were just verifying that I still had the money in the account to pay for the order.

Each week since then I have called on Friday. Each week I have been told the order would ship that day "or early next week." Nothing yet.

Alumalite USA is a one man company in Illinois that fabricates really cool looking and quite functional compensators and muzzle brakes. His web site cautions that his products are NOT suppressors and says that items not in stock take about 2 to 3 weeks to fabricate and ship. DO NOT BELIEVE HIM!

He's apparently an accomplished artisan at his trade and his products are in high demand. If you order from him expect to wait at least three months for him to fulfill your order. He will process your payment immediately, though. He is very difficult to reach. His web site has a customer service tab where you can check on the order status, but he doesn't update it. He has a contact phone number, but he doesn't answer it and does not respond to voice mail messages. It is rumored that you might be able to catch him by phone in the early evening. His Facebook page has customers asking about custom orders from as long ago as a year!

I placed my order on June 6. My payment was processed on June 7. Numerous attempts to check the order status went unanswered. On August 26 I received a USPS notice that my order has a tracking number assigned but had not yet been delivered to the post office for mailing. Still not in the hands of the post office as of today.:sad20:

W McCollum

May 16, 2013
    Columbia, Maryland
    Update on S&W/Thompson Center: customer service today said he will no longer lie to people as he has been instructed. My order will NOT ship today or early next week. They have shipped nothing in the past three weeks. They have no idea what is in stock and what is not. They have no idea when, or if, anything will ship in the near future.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Dpms! Is 1 for the list. Had a order in with them. They said everything would ship in 3 weeks and was in stock, but because they were busy it would take that long. 6 weeks go by and I call about my order and they told me another 6-8 weeks possible because the parts that we're in stock when I placed the order were on back order ???

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    FAS 1 Safes is pretty slow too. However, i'll cut them a brake since I believe he's a one man show working out if his garage.

Ever sine I started ordering from McMaster Carr years ago, I've held suppliers to a higher standard when it comes to shipping. McMaster is the best hands down. Next day delivery without an extra charge.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    FAS 1 Safes is pretty slow too. However, i'll cut them a brake since I believe he's a one man show working out if his garage.

Ever sine I started ordering from McMaster Carr years ago, I've held suppliers to a higher standard when it comes to shipping. McMaster is the best hands down. Next day delivery without an extra charge.

McMaster always has EVERYTHING under the sun and more as far as fasteners/supplies of that sort goes.

W McCollum

May 16, 2013
    Columbia, Maryland
    Update on Alumalite USA. The company got a tracking number from the USPS for my order on August 26. They took the order to the post office on September 3 and delivery is scheduled for September 6.

Update on Thompson Center. They must still be in chaos. Nothing from them. If you order on-line from Smith and Wesson, beware.

S1owJam

Bad Man Stopper Man
    Jan 10, 2013
    Abingdon, MD
    Update on Thompson Center. They must still be in chaos. Nothing from them. If you order on-line from Smith and Wesson, beware.

I called them a few days ago to inquire about M&P 9 and .40 mags, and they told me they are on a 6-8 month backlog for all M&P mags. I can't imagine the insanity going on at that company...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom