• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Ive got a possible trade for my AR. Its a SLR 95. I am concerned for a few resons. The first is I dont like the thumbhole stock. If that can be swapped out for a regular AK stock and grip without issue, than no big deal. As long as those parts are available. I saw in a review that only a ironwood stock can be used because the 95 supposedly only has 1 tang and isnt stable. He also said the stock doesnt slide into the reciever as far as a stamped model either. Is this true or was the guy wrong? Also are these issues, if they exist, specific to 95's only or all milled reciever AK's? Some research I did shows these are form the mid-late 90's so they are ban compliant. No bayonet lug, no flash hider/comp, cleaning rod. Stuff that i would want. I think I found the proper parts on k-var but Im not 100% sure of that. Also this being older, Im concerned about the value of it. It looks to be in good shape from th pic I saw of it, but it is an older rifle.

Last edited:

Hog Sniper

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2008
    The SLR-95 is a GREAT gun.. I have one.. If you can get it for a good price grab it. Milled receiver, good barrel (Styer I think). I really dont mind the thumbhole stock. It actually shoulders pretty well. I have heard of them being converted but cant speak for them. Good luck

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    if you don't want it, please let me have a chance to grab it.

the SLR95 is an excellent AK!!! you'll have to go through the complete conversion but yes its easy to find a stock for a milled receiver. you actually might like the stock so keep it

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Its actually a possible trade for my AR. Hes asking 1500 for it. Im on k-var now looking at the parts i would need to make it what i want. Warsaw stock, regular grip, bayonet lug, cleaning rod, new fsb with lug and threads for ak74 style brake.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Heres my shopping cart with k-var, i think this is all ill need. I just got to decide if this is worth doing or trying to wait for an already converted sgl or slr.

1g0ifp.jpg

Nem said hes got me for a cleaning rod

Last edited:

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Just recieved a few more pics of the rifle this morning. It doesnt have the side mount either. This is kind of bumming me out. Why cant someone just come out with a sgl 21 or 31 and say im interested in a trade, lets work something out. Same with a bulgarian.

Basically its gotta be an arsenal, accept double stack mags, have side mount, accept the 74 style brake if it doesnt already have it. The stock i can deal with as long as i dont have to add the second tang. I dont know all the varaitions of arsenals so i just listed the features.

w7iz4z.jpg

That is a perfect example of what i want. I dont care if its milled or stamped, 5.45 or 7.62. Russian or Bulgarian. Its got all the goodies. Ive only felt one with a warsaw stock but i liked it.

BLACKTALON

Ammo is like food
    Aug 4, 2011
    severna park
    Its a hard market right now man. Everyone is still pumping AR's out right now but the pipe line for aks is vertically non existent. Nothing coming from Izzy factory, Less and less from Molot, little to no wasr 10, and even the PAP have dried up.

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    Eh, side mounts suck anyways. Can you put a TWS Dog Leg on a milled receiver AK?

i will 100% disagree with you...side mounts are the way to go. ive had two different mounts, the kv-04s and midwest's side mount...both VERY solid and both return to zero every time. i hate seeing so much time spent on trying to turn a dust cover into a solid optics mountable flattop...that section of the rifle was never made for that, thats why they added the side mount...its there, use it.

the midwest mount was awesome...very light weight and very low profile

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      84.8 KB · Views: 546

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    SLR95 is one of the all time classic AK's other than a crappy finish (a common issue with all Arsenal guns) they were the best. I have had one for years, sad thing is I got it back in the 90s used when prices were actually much higher factoring inflation than now and someone had put a vintage red star scope mount which is a drill and tap. Makes a good bench AK though. Not bubbed but I would have preferred a nice detachable rail like my SLR106. Pricing before all heck broke loose on a 95% gun was about $800, now $1200 plus.

I may put mine up for sale if I can secure a SAM7R, virtually the same gun sans some US made parts. Same imported Steyr machinery barrel already converted. About $1300

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Well im afraid if i do sell mine ill spend the money on something else with the upcoming move. If i trade, 7 days later, pretty much done deal. In 70-80 days ill get paperwork to sign but the firearms are done. No playing MSP's games. Now the catch is...down in my new home there seen to be plenty of these for sale, some at a decent price. I could probably sell up here for more money and spend less down there.

I did have an offer for a glock 21 plus cash. Now that is something I would consider as far as cash goes. For the right price, id do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom