• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    A couple years ago I bought an SLR104FR and a SLR104UR and threw them in the safe. Checked the going price on GB, and let's just say one sells for almost what I paid for both. Thinking I should throw one up on gunbroker while the 5.45 Ak market is dry, but struggling to figure out which one I should keep. I'll probably replace the one I sell in a couple years once there are more options on the market. Any advice? My collection is geared toward military adopted rifles, not sure if either was used in the configurations I have (black polymer furniture).

putneyswope

Dismember
    Aug 7, 2010
    I've seen pictures of rifles resembling the slr104fr in military service. The slr104ur doesn't look like a military weapon without a metal triangle folding stock and a barrel chop which is difficult in Maryland these days. I would keep the fr and sell the ur if I were you.

ST19AG_WGreymon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Odenton
    Sell the SLR-104FR, there's a lot of 5.45 rifle options coming down the line. I'm not sure of any manufacturers making an SLR-104UR (AKS-74u) clone so keep that one.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I don't think either rifle is 100% representative of an as-issued firearm. What I learned from looking on the AK files and other AK centric websites is that serious collectors care about 5.5mm rear trunnions vs 4.5mm rear trunnions, where and whether dimple marks are correct, what "style" of various random parts should be used, etc. Wading through all that is confusing and does not hold my attention span. Part of my difficulty revolves around the fact that I always had a lot of choices in how my military firearms were configured, and even most conventional guys had more than you would think when deployed. So worrying about correct buttstocks seems silly when everyone who had that buttstock was trying to buy something else and get away with using it. Guys are paying $1200+ for some AK12 furniture and are thankful for the opportunity to spend another grand having an already $1000+ 74 style rifle "converted" to sort of be an AK12. Not knocking these people as we all have things that interest us, just saying it is not my thing.

Personally I'm keeping my SLR104FR, though I am returning it to factory configuration. Through happy accident (laziness), I kept the box and documentation for the rifle, and the collector value at the moment is difficult to ignore. When someone comes out with a decent 74 pistol I will get one to SBR and use as a beater gun.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Why are arsenal weapons “collector” guns ?
    At the moment there are zero 5.45 guns readily available. Also Arsenal USA isn't able to import rifles in large numbers at the moment. Not in any caliber. No Russian guns due to sanctions. No Bulgarian guns because of military contracts. Supposedly Arsenal USA is working with another Bulgarian retailer/manufacturer called ISD to bring in new AKs. Don't know if that will alleviate the scarcity issues.

Palmetto State, Century, and Arsenal USA are all promising 5.45x39 firearms by the end of the year. That may bring prices down.

Robert2888

Nov 5, 2013
    Westmoreland,VA
    At the moment there are zero 5.45 guns readily available. Also Arsenal USA isn't able to import rifles in large numbers at the moment. Not in any caliber. No Russian guns due to sanctions. No Bulgarian guns because of military contracts. Supposedly Arsenal USA is working with another Bulgarian retailer/manufacturer called ISD to bring in new AKs. Don't know if that will alleviate the scarcity issues.

Palmetto State, Century, and Arsenal USA are all promising 5.45x39 firearms by the end of the year. That may bring prices down.

FIME/Kvar creating undue supply disruptions by selling 1 at a time on gunbroker isn’t helping anything either, other than tacking on “Rare” to anything imported that’s related to Kalashnikov.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    FIME/Kvar creating undue supply disruptions by selling 1 at a time on gunbroker isn’t helping anything either, other than tacking on “Rare” to anything imported that’s related to Kalashnikov.
    Haha yeah they sure do seem to have a lot of "extremely rare, may never be available again" firearms for auction on gunbroker. Just recently rediscovered in their warehouse. Almost makes you suspicious they are full of ponyloaf, given no FFL can keep their license if they get caught losing product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom