SME Bullseye Sight-In Cameras on Sale at Midway and Amazon. Worth it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stevie Boy

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Naples, FL and Ocean Pines, MD

Looks like Amazon has price matched.

The 300 yard version is $190 and the 1 mile range version is $300. How do folks like them? I'm not a long range shooter so I'm considering the 300 yard model. Camera part looks to be the same for either model.

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    I just use a Wyze cam and my cell phone app. I think they are about $35 on Amazon or direct from Wyze cam. I added an external antenna to get it to work to at least 200yds. I haven't tested it past 200.

Stevie Boy

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I just use a Wyze cam and my cell phone app. I think they are about $35 on Amazon or direct from Wyze cam. I added an external antenna to get it to work to at least 200yds. I haven't tested it past 200.
    Can you provide some more detail? I use a couple of wyze cams now but they are wi-fi are far as I know. Also, mine need to be plugged in. So, what's your setup if you don't mind sharing?

Edit: I see they offer an outdoor wireless cam but still curious about the wi-fi source.

Last edited:

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    I understand the camera the OP is looking for feedback on has its own WiFi but, my question is regarding the suggestion to use a Wyze camera.
    None of the *Wyze* cameras we have possess their own WiFi (they all depend upon an external WiFi source , which can be hard to come by at the 300 yard and 600 yard ranges I have access to …)
    If there exists a Wyze cam that can send a WiFi signal to a phone or tablet from 300 yards (or a mile) then that would be a possible reason the SME target camera systems (in the OP) are on sale … and they’d be valid suggestions as alternatives to the camera system the OP is looking for feedback on.

jmb122mp

Nov 2, 2016
    Anyone with any experience using these at a gun range? In particular, whether the range allows or doesn't allow using them?

Thanks,

Jim

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Anyone with any experience using these at a gun range? In particular, whether the range allows or doesn't allow using them?

Thanks,

Jim

Not the specific model the OP a is looking for (relevant) feedback on but, I see lots of different target live-time illustrating tech at the ranges we belong to (the old DIY ammo can and most recently lots and lots of the pricier ShotMarker system ( https://autotrickler.com/pages/shotmarker )

Q - I’ve belonged to and shot on some Fudd-run ranges in my time so I realize I may regret asking this but, on what basis wouldn’t a range allow a shooter to use a target camera? Just curious ….

Last edited:

Todd S

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2012
    Glen Rock, PA
    I have an older Ammocan Bullseye Target cam. They updated their app, last year. Since the update, the app will not recognize the camera. I called tech support. It's a known issue, that they are trying to resolve. It connects to my iPhone perfectly, with the built in wifi. It just will not recognize the Ammocan. As far as I know, the new Bullseye cameras are not having this issue. I would be leery about any of the Bullseyes, until they can resolve their issues.

Besides that, I used the Ammocan almost every range trip. It worked fairly well. It would lose the camera every once in a while.

Stevie Boy

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I have an older Ammocan Bullseye Target cam. They updated their app, last year. Since the update, the app will not recognize the camera. I called tech support. It's a known issue, that they are trying to resolve. It connects to my iPhone perfectly, with the built in wifi. It just will not recognize the Ammocan. As far as I know, the new Bullseye cameras are not having this issue. I would be leery about any of the Bullseyes, until they can resolve their issues.

Besides that, I used the Ammocan almost every range trip. It worked fairly well. It would lose the camera every once in a while.
    Check out this thread on snipershide.
    https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/bullseye-target-camera-suck-now.6994430/
    In particular, post #12. It at least implies you can get the older app back but I can't personally vouch for that as it isn't an issue for me (yet?).

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo

Thanks for the head's up.
    I have an older version as well, from 2016 or maybe even a few years earlier, but at least I am using an ancient iPad to connect and the app hasn't updated in several years and is a couple of generations old.

Please drop us a line if and when they fix the app. Problems like this rattle peoples' confidence, mine included.

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    Same question here - what is your wifi source?
    I see this is an older thread that I replied to but failed to answer a couple of questions that were asked. For that I apologize.

If it's not too late I will answer now in case anyone is interested.

The Wyze cam uses the hotspot on your cell phone for Wi-Fi. It also needs a battery pack with a USB port for power. This is assuming your range has no power at the target area and no WiFi. It's kind of a tricky situation setting up the initial connection and involves using two cell phones with the second phone using the first phones hotspot to connect to the camera. Even with the setup being successful, it is still a chore getting the camera connected each time you want to use it at the range. After using this system for over two years I still struggle with the connection. Once connected though, it's a fantastic system. I've tested it out to 300 yds and it gives a very clear target image since the camera is placed right next to the target. You get the same image at 300yds as you do at 25yds. Also the biggest advantage to me is that I don't have to lean over to look through a scope and I don't have to re-aquire the target because the scope moved due to vibration from the shot or me accidentally bumping it as I try to look through the eyepiece. I can just glance at my phone that is sitting on the shooting bench next to me. It doesn't matter if the phone gets bumped because the camera is out at the target. As long as you don't shoot the camera, you're good! Picture of camera out at target and image on cell phone.

Attachments

• IMG_20210319_165823869_HDR.jpg
      IMG_20210319_165823869_HDR.jpg
      544.2 KB · Views: 46
    • 2CAA8E9A9431_1616773639045.png
      2CAA8E9A9431_1616773639045.png
      512.9 KB · Views: 52

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members