• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    I’m in the market for a new revolver, specifically a classic S&W N-frame. I’m looking for one of the following:

1. S&W Model 1917 in .45 ACP (prefer a good shooter US or refurbished US/UK Lend-Lease model, followed by Brazilian contract)

2. S&W Model 27 (pre-lock only)

3. S&W 38/44

Is there one I should pick over the other? Anything to look for or avoid?

For the 1917, I’ve seen some “Arsenal refurbished” Lend Lease models that look nice but clearly are altered from military configuration. Are these any good? Are the Colt 1917s equally good?

python

Apr 15, 2010
    I could literally write you a book on what you're asking.

1. If you're looking for a shooter grade 1917, the Brazilians can generally be had for the least amount of money. Most are not pretty, but are decent shooters. You need to know how to evaluate a revolver for mechanical condition. The Colt 1917 is not finished as nicely as the S&W, but is a solid gun. The Smith is smoother in operation.

2. The most ubiquitous version of the model 27 is the dash two. You'll have the most to chose from in that iteration. It is also the last of the pinned barrel, recessed cylinder models. Earlier models will cost substantially more.

3. The 38/44 you refer to came in two flavors, the fixed sight "Heavy Duty" and the adjustable sight "Outdoorsman". They are 38 special revolvers built on 44 "N" frames. Some have cylinders that were bored out to accept 357 magnum cartridges. The pre-war and post war models have different barrel profiles.

I don't know what your experience is with older S&W revolvers, but mine is fairly extensive, and the information provided here doesn't begin to scratch the surface. Good luck.

Last edited:

chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon

1. If you're looking for a shooter grade 1917, the Brazilians can generally be had for the least amount of money. Most are not pretty, but are decent shooters. You need to know how to evaluate a revolver for mechanical condition. The Colt 1917 is not finished as nicely as the S&W, but is a solid gun. The Smith is smoother in operation.

2. The most ubiquitous version of the model 27 is the dash two. You'll have the most to chose from in that iteration. It is also the last of the pinned barrel, recessed cylinder model. Earlier models will cost substantially more.

3. The 38/44 you refer to came in two flavors, the fixed sight "Heavy Duty" and the adjustable sight "Outdoorsman". They are 38 special revolvers built on 44 "N" frames. Some have cylinders that were bored out to accept 357 magnum cartridges. The pre-war and post war models have different barrel profiles.
    I appreciate the info! From what I have seen, nice Brazilian contract models seem to run about the same as worn US military 1917 models. I assume quality is about the same?

Does 27-2 have MIM parts or are they “old” S&W quality?

python

Apr 15, 2010
    1917 prices are all over place. There is no basis for pricing based on that assumption. Judge each gun on its own merits. Brazilians are generally less desirable than the military guns. They will usually cost less, but will shoot as well as the USA model.

S&W started using MIM parts in 1997, well past the production run of the 27-2. If you want a gun that is the shooting equal of the model 27 (and less costly), consider a model 28-2 (Highway Patrolman). It is basically the same as the 27, but has a matte finish and no checkering on the top strap and barrel rib. You cannot tell the difference between the two when shooting them. The mechanics are identical.

Last edited:

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter

2. The most ubiquitous version of the model 27 is the dash two. You'll have the most to chose from in that iteration. It is also the last of the pinned barrel, recessed cylinder models. Earlier models will cost substantially more.

I don't know what your experience is with older S&W revolvers, but mine is extensive, and the information provided here doesn't begin to scratch the surface. Good luck.
    As someone who has never held, known any owners of, or desired a Smith, I am eager to know more from Mr Python

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    Purely from a caliber standpoint, I love 45acp revolvers. Weird, I know. And I do love martial guns.

The 357 will give you a lot more options. Early N frame 357s are beautiful IMO.

You should by one of all of them. Problem solved.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    As someone who has never held, known any owners of, or desired a Smith, I am eager to know more from Mr Python
    I never wanted a Smith until my buddy put me on a cosmetically bad condition nickel platted 8 3/8 barrel 27-2 for $500.

Estate consignment. Pretty sure it sat in a cardboard box on someone's Dad's garage for a couple of decades (or more).

Or maybe the glove box of their on-blocks rusting out 67 Camero.

Anyway, some polishing of internals to remove the small bit of internal rust, lubed up, and the thing is just solid, solid, solid. By far the most accurate handgun I own. The DA and SA are just silly smooth. Even nicer than my Dan Wesson 44 and that is saying something. Though the DW is slightly lighter in SA, but the S&W is slightly lighter in DA. With the S&W 27-2 maybe having a slight edge in overall smoothness.

I am definitely in the hunt for more S&Ws at some point. Though I admit I did just cheat on my 27-2 with a 4" GP100 that was also a steal of a deal and that sucker is a lot of fun to shoot. So I might be okay on 357s for a bit.

But only a bit.

Attachments

• SW 27_2.jpg
      SW 27_2.jpg
      484.4 KB · Views: 12
    Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Hey ! The Brazilian aka M1937 is too Military ! Just not U.S. Military . FWIW , they all have heat treated cylinders .

My Brazilian ( purchased not long after the batch was imported ) is in decent shape .

In recent years , collector pressure has pushed Highway Patrolmen ( M28) prices to near the prices for M-27 .

Either flavor of .38/ 44 is both desirable, and priced accordingly.

Questions to ask yourself: Are you primarily interested in Shooter first , with collectability secondary , or the other way around ?

For a Shooter , a period aftermarket refinish can put a Shooter within reach .

Not Mentioned, but should be on your radar , the Second Model .44 Hand Ejector . ( The 1st & 3rd are $$$ , but 2nd is relatively available) .

For any of them , you will have to be cognizant of the Condition/ Price ratio on specific examples .

If you have some candidate guns you're looking at post , or PM me , and l'll look up particulars in SCSW for you .

As to Colt M1917 , I'll just say that Colt DA Collecting is a World in Itself .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom