• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    Is a pre-Model 10 Smith and Wesson C&R? I recently found one in a LGS and they would not sell it as C&R because "they still make them." Is this true? I know the pre-Model 10 isn't listed on the ATF list, but they still make Walther PPKs and those qualify as C&R if old enough.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Pre-model 10 was made from 1946-1957. By 50-year rule, all of them are C&R. The ATF list is not and was never intended to be all-inclusive.

chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    Maybe I can convince him...but that's what I thought. It's looking like a lose-lose situation: I had the cash to buy something I wanted and he lost a sale.

I just want an old Smith or Colt revolver (or another C&R handgun like a PP/PPK or a Webley) and I'm having zero luck.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Pre-model 10 was made from 1946-1957. By 50-year rule, all of them are C&R. The ATF list is not and was never intended to be all-inclusive.

This. Smith didn't start the number modeling system until 1957.

If it's a LGS in MD as far as I know the state still says C&R is not sufficient for a handgun transfer in-state. However the HQL exemption should still apply if that is the concern.

chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    This. Smith didn't start the number modeling system until 1957.

If it's a LGS in MD as far as I know the state still says C&R is not sufficient for a handgun transfer in-state. However the HQL exemption should still apply if that is the concern.

The HQL exemption is my point. He wasn't going to sell without an HQL.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    They still make flintlocks too.

Find another gun shop, one not run by fools.

chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    They still make flintlocks too.

Find another gun shop, one not run by fools.

It's too bad. I like the shop, the Pre-mod 10 was real clean, and I had the cash in-pocket.
    Any other shop, it would have been $200 overpriced or I wouldn't have the cash at the time.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    Is a pre-Model 10 Smith and Wesson C&R? I recently found one in a LGS and they would not sell it as C&R because "they still make them." Is this true? I know the pre-Model 10 isn't listed on the ATF list, but they still make Walther PPKs and those qualify as C&R if old enough.

Print out that 50 yr c&r regs according to atf. Print out dates of manufacture for the pre model 10 go back to the lgs. If that isn't sufficient, time to move on.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    All pre Model number S&W are C&R. In this case all of them up thru 10-4 inclusive are C&R , as well as early examples of 10-5 (pencil bbl) and 10-6( hvy bbl).

To cover your bases, bring along your copy of Standard Catalogue of Smith & Wesson ( SCSW to S&W collectors) , and it will show the breakdown of shipping dates by year and sn range for all S&W.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    What gunshop? I've been thinking of buying a spinny things and has HQL.

Also it is C&R. See of they'll ship it to another LGS.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    What gunshop? I've been thinking of buying a spinny things and has HQL.

Also it is C&R. See of they'll ship it to another LGS.

That takes the good deal out of the equation.....price + shipping + transfer. They are all over GB.

Jul 1, 2012

Attachments

• CNR.jpg
      CNR.jpg
      35.1 KB · Views: 253

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    It's too bad. I like the shop, the Pre-mod 10 was real clean, and I had the cash in-pocket.
    Any other shop, it would have been $200 overpriced or I wouldn't have the cash at the time.

Yeah, I've had the same problem with some sellers on GB. Nice guns, good prices, no sale to 03FFL.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    AG ruling on out os state C&R purchases. No 77r, no 7 day wait..

Attachments

• AG opinion 01C&R letter interstate.pdf
      203.6 KB · Views: 103

chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    I'm going to visit the FFL who has the Pre-Model 10 tomorrow. Hopefully I'll leave there after filling out paperwork...

chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    chooks, is the shop in Maryland or outside of Maryland? Can't tell from your post, or maybe I am missing that.

The shop is in MD. They don't believe the gun is C&R eligible and thus HQL-exempt even though it was made no later than 1957.

Maybe I should have been clearer in my OP. I'm not trying to buy it as C&R, just HQL exempt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom