• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I have one. Tritium sights and had trigger work before I bought it. I got it for a good price at Scott's ages ago I think. It's no better/worse trigger than many other stock striker guns. Not sure what was done to it.

DigDug

Oct 21, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    It's a solid gun. It was my first handgun and have put quite a few rounds through it. Zero malfunctions. Trigger leaves a lot to be desired. Even with the apex trigger kit installed it has a long take up and reset and feels mushy. I struggled with it quite a bit but learning to master the poor trigger made me a better shooter. Would trust it with my life but have other handguns now that I prefer.

craftsman_69

MDS Supporter
    Jul 26, 2015
    AA
    I have the SD40VE, trigger cleaned up after 250-350 ish rounds. With the APEX spring kit and break in I absolutely love it. There is better out there of course but for $ it is hard to beat.

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    IMHO.
    It is a solid gun.
    If you can only afford to spend $350 for a pistol it is about as good as it gets.
    Compared to some of the other polymer framed pistols out there you can do MUCH better for just a little more money.
    I would rather get a used GLOCK, or S&W M&P for the same money.

bigmanindc

Nov 3, 2018
    DMV
    IMHO.
    It is a solid gun.
    If you can only afford to spend $350 for a pistol it is about as good as it gets.
    Compared to some of the other polymer framed pistols out there you can do MUCH better for just a little more money.
    I would rather get a used GLOCK, or S&W M&P for the same money.

DC resident so factor in an extra $125

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    It's a solid gun .

The Trigger is exponentially Better , than S&W Smegma. ( In absolute terms , kinda ok , but certainly useable .)

All comes down to price/ value . When Introduced , it was intended to be halfway inbetween a Smegma and an M&P . For us as gun enthusiasts , discussions of price and value imeadately dive down a steep slippery slope . There will alway be a " oh yeah, or a couple hundred more, you could get an XYZ , that is way more better-er than the PDQ " .

The SD is a good candidate for " Least expensive fully functional pistol of reasonably decent quality " . ( Reading between the lines , I am pointedly ÷excluding the Smegma aka Sigma )

And for BigmaninDC , those expenses will be fixed for any pistol , and thereby not relevant factor in comparing different pistols .

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I have both the Sigma and the SD in 40cal. Love my SD even more when I put a Apex spring kit into mine as well and after I shot a few hundred rounds thru it I would trust it as my EDC
    and do when i carry in DE and VA. I also have the Glock 27 so its a tough choice what I want to carry when I travel outside of the Non Free State. Yep its good firearm for the amount of $$ that you spend to get one.

bigmanindc

Nov 3, 2018
    DMV
    I have both the Sigma and the SD in 40cal. Love my SD even more when I put a Apex spring kit into mine as well and after I shot a few hundred rounds thru it I would trust it as my EDC
    and do when i carry in DE and VA. I also have the Glock 27 so its a tough choice what I want to carry when I travel outside of the Non Free State. Yep its good firearm for the amount of $$ that you spend to get one.

Is it the Apex spring kit, Apex trigger kit or are they the same thing?

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    I shot the S&W at the range. What really bothered me about it was the shape of the grip at the web of my hand. Uncomfortable. Almost painful.

I was bummed about that. I liked the look of the gun.

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Is it the Apex spring kit, Apex trigger kit or are they the same thing?

It was the Apex spring kit that I put into my SD40. I am not taking a looking at the Ruger Security 9 as well. Only downside so far is its not in the 40 Cal range. That way I do not have to buy so many different calibers of ammo. I like to keep it at 40 cal and or 45cal for my handguns. Of course for my rifle its 223 or 5.56 NATO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom