• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • str8xtc

Mar 2, 2010
    BaltCo
    I just picked up my first Glock, Gen4 17, and want to practice my trigger control. I know you shouldn't dryfire most guns but thought Glocks were an exception. But people still recommend purchasing Snap Caps even if you own a Glock, what are your thoughts on this?

helg

Dec 26, 2008
    You can dry fire with a snap cap on DA pistol without any problems. To do the same on SA pistol, you need to cock the hammer every time. To practice on the Glock... pull the trigger, rack the slide, catch the snap cap, remove magazine, load the catched snap cap, insert the mag back and rack the slide again. You are ready to practice the next trigger pull.

DSF Training

Dec 30, 2007
    I have dried fired my G17 10s of thousands of times without a problem. I always do a full slide rack when resetting the trigger, it does a number of thing for me When I do my mag change drills I always rack the slide I don't use my slide catch as a slide release. When I do malfunction drills I always try to get a full rack on the slide, it also keeps me focused on hand positioning for speed.

There is a Glock Trigger Reset Kit here it involves changing out the trigger tho, I've never used one but like everything else I've read good and bad reviews about it.

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    Don't worry about it and dry fire it all you want. I am not aware of a striker fired gun that is adversely effected by dry firing it.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    No, dont dry fire a glock repeatedly, it can do damage and we have replaced slides that bust out (Whole Breach Face). The Casing etches the slides and the striker busts the breach out from the etching.

This is not my picture but the ones we have replaced looked the same.

Cracked_breech2.jpg

ETA, I have only seen this happen on .40 cal Glocks, never a .45 or 9mm

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    No, dont dry fire a glock repeatedly, it can do damage and we have replaced slides that bust out (Whole Breach Face). The Casing etches the slides and the striker busts the breach out from the etching.

Cracked_breech2.jpg

damn, thanks for the heads up

Ethan83

Ultimate Member
    Jan 8, 2009
    Baltimoreish

Cracked_breech2.jpg

Why do you think that is? I know the high pressure of the .40s&w is linked to the KB's, but why would dry firing affect only the .40s but not other models?

How is dry firing a centerfire gun bad for it anyway? I understand that it's bad with rimfire because the pin actually smacks the chamber itself, but in a centerfire, doesn't the pin not hit anything?

I've never understood that. Care to enlighten?

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church

:ohnoes:

Holy crap... A-Zoom snap caps are cheap and long-lasting insurance against that, right? I dry fire my guns but not thousands of times. Should I get back in the habit of using snap caps for all dry fire training/action proving?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Problem with Glocks is the breach face is VERY thin compared to other hammer fired and other striker fired guns. On a Glock the Striker actualy strikes the breach face if there is no round in the chamber to stop it. Its like dry firing a rimfire that has no firing pin travel stop.

The .40's exert more pressure on the breach face to the rear, and the combination of lots of shooting and dry firing the .40 cal units and the pressure of firing rounds seems to be the issue. I have only seen it on .40 cal glocks, but im sure it could happen to other Glock calibers too, just havent seem it.

I think Glock makes a fine 9mm and ,45 but I have seen WAY too many issues with the .40's, I dont like them or trust them.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    So it's ok to do on a 9mm or should I get a snap cap just to be safe?

From my experience, yes, it should be fine but you never know.

:ohnoes:

Holy crap... A-Zoom snap caps are cheap and long-lasting insurance against that, right? I dry fire my guns but not thousands of times. Should I get back in the habit of using snap caps for all dry fire training/action proving?

I would if I were you.

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    I know you work on a bunch of guns clandestine but I am not buying that those cracks are from dry firing. I am not questioning your credibility, I am questioning your conclusion.

Last edited:

ThawMyTongue

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2009
    Dublin, OH
    I have snap caps for all my firearms and calibers... I don't only have them to protect the firearm, but better safe than sorry. They are nice for some tactile feedback when training/praticing. I always use them after cleaning/stripping to verify action and ejection. I do not regret having them at all!

Also, anytime I take someone to the range, we play with snap caps at the house in each gun before the real thing at the firing line. Takes away some stress and sets them at ease being able to learn the action without live ammo the first time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom