• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cyberfrance

Feb 1, 2012
    Still waiting to go shooting. If my brother can't go today, I'm gonna go to On Target tomorrow.

Anyone shoot there? If so, what's the best time for a novice to go? I'd like to have as few distractions as possible for this will be the first time I've fired this gun.

Gundahar

Sep 4, 2011
    It seems pretty random to me for the crowds. However the last couple of times I have picked times intended to "beat the crowd", it has backfired. This means football times, right when it opens, and so on.

On the other hand, when I straggle in around lunch time on the weekend, I sometimes zip right into a lane.

This could just be coincidence, but talking with the counter folks, they say that its been been very consistently busy for some time.

Gundahar

cyberfrance

Feb 1, 2012
    I called him this morning but he didn't return my call until 1. He's in Waldorf working on a client's machine and hoped to be able to go later today. If all else fails, I WILL shoot this sucker tomorrow. I just wanted him to be there to double check the gun out (he hasn't met Roxy yet) and to make sure I was observing proper protocol. As Scarlet O'Hara once said "Tommora is anutha day!"

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Going on a Sunday can be a mistake unless you are a seasoned shooter. Its going to be busy on a weekend day.

While On Target and other Ranges do a good job of keeping an eye on things, your chances of being muzzle swept and being around a bunch of idiots practicing for drive-bys increases dramatically on the weekend. Its just is what it is.

cyberfrance

Feb 1, 2012
    Good news! He just called. He's on his way home. Should be picking me up in about an hour.

Roxy is my Ruger SP 101 .357 magnum revolver. It has the 2" barrel. I'm gonna shoot .38 and .357 rounds today. Wish me luck. Lock up your small pets and children. I'm just sayin':innocent0

We are going to 12th Precinct to shoot.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    Patty (pskryja on MDS and pskryja@gmail.com) and some of the women from Monumental are at the AGC today Noon-closing. I am sure she would let you shoot as a guest. Too bad it so late in the day.

They normally have casual shoots open to the public on Sat and Sunday afternoons. You may want to send her a PM or e-mail. I know she wants to get more ladies out shooting at the AGC.

We need a place for the MDS ladies to co-ordinate their outings!

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    The OP is welcome to shoot as a guest of any AGC member. I know I have had guests our to the range before they decided to become a member of one of the clubs. Some decide to join clubs other than Monumental despite my membership speech!

Mr H

Banana'd
    Patty (pskryja on MDS and pskryja@gmail.com) and some of the women from Monumental are at the AGC today Noon-closing. I am sure she would let you shoot as a guest. Too bad it so late in the day.

They normally have casual shoots open to the public on Sat and Sunday afternoons. You may want to send her a PM or e-mail. I know she wants to get more ladies out shooting at the AGC.

We need a place for the MDS ladies to co-ordinate their outings!

Are their Sunday sessions generally timed to coordinate with public trap??

Might be something I can suggest to get her on the range more.

cyberfrance

Feb 1, 2012
    Just got home. Wow, this gun really goes "BOOM". I can't say I was a great. However, I got better as the day progressed. I shot a box of .38sp and I shot 10 rounds of .357. The .357 was "tingly'. I can't see me shooting THAT on a regular basis.

However, I learned a lot. I will continue to learn. Hopefully, I'll improve. I was able to hit the target about 30 percent of time. Not the center AT ALL, but the outer rings.

I have a question for the marksmen:

When firing the gun, using the back site and the front site, I was under the impression the the front sights should align level with the back sight. However, when I did that, I was shooting very low. I'm sure I'm dropping the gun as I squeeze the trigger, but how do I avoid it?

I am aligning the target within the sights, making a fist and gently squeezing the trigger while holding my breath. I am using both hands.

My brother told me to think in terms of an ice cream cone, aligning the sight with the top of the cone, but bottom of the ice cream scoop. I think I understood what he was saying, but it didn't substantially improve the shot.

The gun doesn't feel too heavy. I'm not at all afraid to pull the trigger. If there is a recoil issue, I'm not aware of it.

How can I improve my aim?

Last edited:

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I have a question for the marksman:

When firing the gun, using the back site and the front site, I was under the impression the the front sights should align level with the back sight. However, when I did that, I was shooting very low. I'm sure I'm dropping the gun as I squeeze the trigger, but how do I avoid it?

I am aligning the target within the sights, making a fist and gently squeezing the trigger while holding my breath. I am using both hands.

My brother told me to think in terms of an ice cream cone, aligning the sight with the top of the cone, but bottom of the ice cream scoop. I think I understood what he was saying, but it didn't substantially improve the shot.

The gun doesn't feel too heavy. I'm not at all afraid to pull the trigger. If there is a recoil issue, I'm not aware of it.

Sign up for one of mcbruzdzinski's classes, a little refresher from a professional never hurts.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Just got home. Wow, this gun really goes "BOOM". I can't say I was a great. However, I got better as the day progressed. I shot a box of .38sp and I shot 10 rounds of .357. The .357 was "tingly'. I can't see me shooting THAT on a regular basis.

However, I learned a lot. I will continue to learn. Hopefully, I'll improve. I was able to hit the target about 30 percent of time. Not the center AT ALL, but the outer rings.

First things first - that gun is a 2 inch barreled carry weapon - not a bullseye gun, so dont expect it to be one. That being said, you should be able to get decent accuracy from it. I always post this link whenever someone asks for handgun aiming shooting advice. Its from well known Masaad Ayoob, and is an excellent article /tips. Take a look at it, and apply some of it next time you shoot. Also consider getting some snap caps so that you can practice dry firing. Watch your sight when you pull the trigger, and see if they move to one side or another.

Here is the link to the article:

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/ayoob85.html

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    were you shooting starting with the hammer cocked back? that would be the easier/more accurate way, instead of pulling the trigger to cock and release the hammer.

try shooting with your arms/hands rested (like on a shooting bag or bean bag) and see where it impacts, that will take some of the trigger pull issues out of the equation. and have others shoot it and see where it impacts.

also try not fully loading the gun. see what happens when you pull the trigger on an empty chamber. you might be proactively trying to fight the expected recoil.

bottom line is that is a small revolver with a short sight radius. not the easiest thing in the world to be very accurate with.

recommend sticking with .38 special til you get good hits with that, then step up to the .357mag.

nice to see a female excited about getting into this sport!

Forager

Imported curmudgeon
    Feb 12, 2012
    In the Lion's den

This is your FIRST handgun? And, you've shot anything else before, I hope?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom