So I polished my first AR trigger today.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    I purchases a bushmaster AR with a trigger that had terrible creep and felt like dragging across sandpaper. First I looked on the Internet and found suggestions to use Flitz Polish. Available at Home Depot and Walmart. Well they had none so I figured I did countless handguns so I went at it with my fine Arkansas stone (designed for sears) I know not to change angles and when to stop. Finishing off with my dremel tool cloth wheel and jewelers rouge. The sear and trigger looked like glass. Final outcome the pull feels less and I can no longer anticipate the letoff. All the creep is gone zero zip. Safety works and disconnect works.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    If you took off any of the anodizing, you are going to have to change it out sooner rather than later. Increased wear and the odds of a FTF are more likely. Why didn't you go with an ALG trigger instead? It takes less than 5 minutes to swap a trigger pack out.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    I have heard that these parts are case hardened, which means the hardening doesn't go very deep. Is there a way to tell if you've polished too far? Other than watching for excess wear?

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    OP, if you used a stone, the trigger is roached. Will wear excessively fast now. Order a basic ALG trigger and drop it in.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Sounds to me he just did a little polishing.:shrug:

It takes almost nothing to remove anodizing or case hardening. Leaving you with soft metal.

There is a reason you do not see smiths advertising tuning AR triggers. And in the AR world, the answer is to replace the trigger group.

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    The trigger itself was polished to a mirror surface and I had no need to touch that whereas the hammer that contained the sear needed honing and polishing it sucked. Time will tell but I doubt I damaged anything. Oh and there was no anodizing on those surfaces to begin with.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I've spoken with AR hammer and trigger manufacturers about hammer and trigger hardness and the hardening process.

Was told the parts are case hardened. Was told the case depth is roughly .020 to .040 deep. So to split the difference, 1/32 of an inch.

In ten years of Sundays will anyone cut through that much depth with a white stone and polishing compound.

I use VALVE GRINDING COMPOUND :omg: to mate my mil-spec hammer and trigger surfaces as a pair while installed in the lower with mil-spec springs attached.

With no ill effect on hammer or trigger surfaces. They are butter smooth (Wheel bearing grease). They still retain a negative engagement angle (The hammer cams slightly backwards prior to release). They are 100% reliable (No hammer follow when slowly easing off on the trigger).

Here are some pictures to go screaming into the night over. The gray areas are where the mating took place.

AR-15 Trigger Job 008.JPG

AR-15 Trigger Job 010.JPG

AR-15 Trigger Job 016.jpg

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    PS:

The OP was excited about his new trigger job and came on here to share it with other gun mined folks.

And was immediately called an idiot for doing it. While simultaneously telling him his hammer and trigger are now junk.

This happens far too often.

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    I just ignore BS but thanks. I honed what needed to be honed and polished what needed to be polished. I'm sure the next time I clean it and inspect it which will be next winter it will be just fine.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    PS:

The OP was excited about his new trigger job and came on here to share it with other gun mined folks.

And was immediately called an idiot for doing it. While simultaneously telling him his hammer and trigger are now junk.

Used to be daily, seems to be a little better lately. People (for some reason) get joy out of shitting on others, says a lot about their personality I think.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    PS:

:thumbsup:

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Nothing wrong with a light stone and polish, provided you take off as little as possible, as posted, it's hardened well past the depth of any machining marks, you are just basically inducing controlled wear to flatten marks, polish the surface and break it in without going through a couple thousand rounds to accomplish the same thing, at worst you are out $20 for a replacement sooner than expected, and hopefully learned from the experience. Most aftermarket triggers use a different geometry with the sear surface much further away from the axis of the hammer, so they have a fraction of the pressure on the sear, and don't have the same issues with wearing soft steel. Either way, good job Molon Labe:thumbsup:

airsporter

Apr 28, 2011
    Western MD
    To my knowledge, AR15/M16 trigger parts are not anodized. Being steel they would be hardened. Proper "polishing" will not affect their function in a negative way. Even if the parts were case hardened and "honed" too far, they could be case hardened again. Simple process.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom