• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • psucobra96

Ultimate Member
    Jun 20, 2011
    "poop tax," "Rain Tax," "Bag Tax," and now a

"Tree Tax"

http://www.gazette.net/article/2013...ty-Council-passes-tree-bills&template=gazette

This county and state just cannot find enough crap to get their hands into and now they want to get into people's private property. I only figured this out after reading a comment in today's gazette about this insane law. If you need a sediment control permit (build a pool) or move 100 cubic feet of dirt then you would be subject to the law.

Edit: I read that the new law does not go into effect until March 1, 2014. I have several trees that will be coming down before that. TIMMMBEEERRRRR!!

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    $750? On top of the outrageous cost to remove the original tree?

Good luck with that.

I'd plant three white pine saplings and call it a day. If they didn't survive because of some malady, well, then that's just Mother Gaia's will.

The law of unintended consequences is going to cause a lot of trees to come down between now and the law's implementation.

rob

DINO Extraordinaire
    Oct 11, 2010
    Augusta, GA
    The law of unintended consequences is going to cause a lot of trees to come down between now and the law's implementation.

I doubt it. Almost no one will even know about the law until the call a tree removal service to get some nasty looking tree removed.

More likely consequence is that people will leave a dangerous tree because they can't afford to pay the tax.

Just my $.02

Rob

ofofhy

Jan 27, 2013
    Balto City
    Just so people are clear on what this bill applies to, it is only for "roadside trees" that are on the county's right of way. It does not apply in general to all trees on your property.

http://mocoalliance.org/wp-content/upload/Fact-sheet-on-Street-tree-bill-41-12.pdf

http://www6.montgomerycountymd.gov/content/council/pdf/bill/2012/Packets/20121211_10A.pdf

It's not unusual for a city or a county to require permits to work on trees that are directly on a street. I was a certified city Tree Tender in Philly, and I could legally trim roadside trees without a permit so long as I didn't use power tools or lifts of any kind. If you wanted to have a street tree removed, you had to get a permit. In the case of Philly, the city took care of replacing the tree one-for-one. Note in the guidance linked above, the country forestry department is supposed to replace the trees at their discretion, but due to budget/staffing shortages, it is not being done. So, this is a measure to make up for govt shortfalls.

The permit is not too onerous in this case, but the three-for-one at the cost of the homeowner is rather intrusive.

Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    You know, Pepco takes quite a bit of heat when the lights go out after a major storm, but you know what, with all the BS that they have to deal in regards to MoCo and the trees, I don't fault them:

Liberal: WE MUST SAVE THE MOTHER CANOPY! IT IS THE LIFE FORCE OF OUR COUNTY! IT'S SOUL CANNOT BE TRIMMED!

Liberal w/ no electricity (after a major storm): OMFG PEPCO! TRIM SOME DAMN TREES ALREADY!!

Seriously, **** these people.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    The county will use the money in the fund to plant trees in areas where it has very few trees, like its urban districts.

That makes perfect sense.

huesmann

n00b
    Mar 23, 2012
    Silver Spring, MD
    Just so people are clear on what this bill applies to, it is only for "roadside trees" that are on the county's right of way. It does not apply in general to all trees on your property.

http://mocoalliance.org/wp-content/upload/Fact-sheet-on-Street-tree-bill-41-12.pdf

http://www6.montgomerycountymd.gov/content/council/pdf/bill/2012/Packets/20121211_10A.pdf

It's not unusual for a city or a county to require permits to work on trees that are directly on a street. I was a certified city Tree Tender in Philly, and I could legally trim roadside trees without a permit so long as I didn't use power tools or lifts of any kind. If you wanted to have a street tree removed, you had to get a permit. In the case of Philly, the city took care of replacing the tree one-for-one. Note in the guidance linked above, the country forestry department is supposed to replace the trees at their discretion, but due to budget/staffing shortages, it is not being done. So, this is a measure to make up for govt shortfalls.

The permit is not too onerous in this case, but the three-for-one at the cost of the homeowner is rather intrusive.
    Furthermore, the law doesn't affect utilities, like Pepco. So if there's a tree on county right-of-way that needs to be removed because it's interfering the utility lines and could be a hazard in the event it came down in a storm, the utility can remove the tree without being subject to the "tax". So if you have a tree on public R/W that is dead or diseased, just contact Pepco and tell them its condition and suggest they come remove it so it doesn't fsck up their utility lines. Believe me, with all the bad press Pepco has been getting for post-storm outages, they'll be happy to send a crew out to remove the tree.

Yme

Platinum Member
    Nov 3, 2012
    i can't seem to open the documents on my phone and am rather new to MD. What is defined as roadside tree?? is it within 5 feet from the roads?

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Does the government not remember that a war broke out because of this exact kind of shit? People need to be more outraged over this kinda shit. I want to see mass disobedience. **** these assholes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom