• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Pins - when I can find a pin shoot, 45 ACP 1911 pistol
    Bullseye - when I shot it last, 45 ACP and 22 LR, 1911 pistol and Ruger MkII bull barrel, respectively
    Steel - 38 Special for revolver, Auto - 45 ACP and 9mm
    Ipsc - 45 ACP 1911 pistol
    Hunters Pistol Silhouette - 22 LR, 22 Magnum, 44 Magnum (T/C Contender, T/C Contender and Ruger or S&W revolver)

Last edited:

Douglas

Dec 26, 2005
    Arlington, VA
    For USPSA, I usually use a bone-stock Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm - because it is what I carry.

I also use it in IDPA.

In the past, I have used a .45 Smith & Wesson revolver, model 625 for USPSA's revolver division & for ICORE when it was around here.

For Limited division, I have used a CZ "Standard IPSC" aka Tactical Sports in .40 cal and also I have used STIs or SVs in both 40 and 45.

I started shooting USPSA with a Glock 19. Used it for steel shooting too. I hjave also used Glock 17 (also for GSSF shooting) and CZs - particularly an SP-01 and an 85 Combat.

When they used to shoot bowling pins in MD at Continental and Deep Run (both now gone) I used a Model 19 in 357 magnum, or the Glock 19. For .22 I used a MK II ruger. Shot pisn once at the range they have set up down in the basement of the NRA's HQ off Rt. 66 - I used a .45 cal CZ.

glock_forty5

Ultimate Member
    Oct 30, 2007
    For USPSA, I usually use a bone-stock Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm - because it is what I carry.

I also use it in IDPA.

In the past, I have used a .45 Smith & Wesson revolver, model 625 for USPSA's revolver division & for ICORE when it was around here.

For Limited division, I have used a CZ "Standard IPSC" aka Tactical Sports in .40 cal and also I have used STIs or SVs in both 40 and 45.

I started shooting USPSA with a Glock 19. Used it for steel shooting too. I hjave also used Glock 17 (also for GSSF shooting) and CZs - particularly an SP-01 and an 85 Combat.

When they used to shoot bowling pins in MD at Continental and Deep Run (both now gone) I used a Model 19 in 357 magnum, or the Glock 19. For .22 I used a MK II ruger. Shot pisn once at the range they have set up down in the basement of the NRA's HQ off Rt. 66 - I used a .45 cal CZ.

What Douglas said plus 5.56 and 12 gauge for 3 gun.

JT

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    For IDPA, predominantly my M&P pro in 9mm with handloaded 124gr bulk FMJ bullets loaded to about 130PF(1025-1050fps) stainless match barrel, adjustable and taller sights, and plenty of trigger work and tuning to run the lighter loads well. Sometimes I shoot my M&P 9c with full power factory loads, being it is my carry gun, and I like the practice. I use a Bladetech SRB holster, and G&G double mag holster for the M&P pro, and a Don Hume open top OWB with the same G&G mag holster for the M&P compact.

Shot PSA this year with my 6" S&W 610 revolver, plenty of trigger work, fiber optic front sight, and blacked out adjustable rear, and polished/chamfered chambers Used 40S&W handloads with 180gr bullets going 750FPS and loaded to 10mm OAL. to stay above the 125 min PF, but keep recoil down. The short cases made loading and extraction fast and positive, and the long OAL helped accuracy.

For Bowling pins, I have used both a 45colt Vaquero loaded with 255gr Keith bullets to around 800FPS(hold the trigger down and thumb the hammer with my left hand), and more recently my Kimber 1911 in 460 Rowland with 250gr RN lead bullets to 1,000FPS, the 1911 really makes the pins fly, and is fast to shoot.

So far only shot 1 rifle side match during the last IDPA match with my M4gery topped with an EOtech, it did well, and I would use it again. Nothing special, DPMS upper and lower, 14.5" Bushmaster barrel with a permanently attatched double Y brake, 4 rail forend with VFG, flip up BUIS, and Jard single stage 3# match trigger. I shot 55gr FMJ handloads out of it, roughly equivalent to M193.

More or less you might have to try out a couple guns, and mods to them to find something that works for you, the model is not that important, as long as it is legal for your desired class, and the caliber is the minimum that does not slap you with a handicap(9mm for most, 40S&W or 45acp if there is a major/minor break). However handloading IMO is a must once you get used to the competition and rules, not only to save money and ensure availability on the gobs of ammo you need to compete and practice with, but also to tune the load to your gun, and to keep close to the minimum power factor. It also helps to do at least minor work on the guns, if nothing else to tune them for reduced handloads, better reliability, and to get a good trigger out of them.

JSW

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2008
    Bryansville, Pa.
    N-SSA
    1858 Remington revolver in 44(.454) with home made paper cartridges
    1859 Sharps(repro) in .54 with paper cartridges
    1862 fayetteville musket in .58
    naturally all in real black powder

when I ran the 22 challenge at Delta I used ruger 10/22 and a S&W M41

Fustercluck

Aug 4, 2008
    Eastern Shore
    IDPA:
    SSP - HKP7M8 (115gJRN/4.2g WW231) or Glick23 w/ Bar-Sto Barrel (158gLRN/5g WW231)
    SSR - Colt Python 4" (158g XTP/4.2g 231 or 158g Berry RN/4g 231)
    CDP - Wilson CQB 45 (230g Berry RN/4.8g 231)
    BUG - S&W 340PD (same load as python)

Bullseye
    Wilson 45 (see above)
    Hammerli Trailside w/ Matchdot

3-Gun
    Wilson 45
    Wilson UT-15 w/ Eotech
    Benelli shotgun

Don't have time for benchrest anymore, and sold my Shilen barreled LH 40x in 6BR 10 years ago.

vwpilot

Nov 26, 2008
    IDPA either a STI Eagle or Fusion Firearms 1911 in 9mm and just picked up an SVI Infinity in .40 that will be my new IDPA gun, all in ESP.

USPSA, SVI Infinity, .40 in Limited.

When I get the 3 gun opportunity, I shoot a RRA AR, 16" SS barrel w/ Millett DMS 1-4 scope and a Benelli M2 w/ 21" barrel and Nordic 8 shot extended magazine.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Right now, I only compete in 3 gun.

Kimber Gold Match Stainless 1911 in .45ACP
    Stag Arms 2TL w/ U.S. Optics SN-4s 1-4X, Blackhawk! single point sling, Tango Down Stubby Forward grip
    Remington 870 Supermag w/ 28" barrel, Nordik 6 shot extension (plugged to 9 shells), and Knox Stock

For next year, I'm hoping to get a rig together for F class. Probably a Savage 10FLCP-K Tactical .308 w/ a Nightforce 5.5-22X.

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    F Class, Tactical Rifle: Remington 700 5-R .308 (modified)

Once I finally make it to a 3gun:

G21SF, Trijicon NS, LWD bbl
    RRA 16" w/ Aimpoint&LaRue
    870 HD, 18" bbl, +2

SuperSet

Jul 20, 2009
    IDPA and occasional USPSA Production: G35/.40 stock, except for Warren sights. It's the one gun that you can use for the most divisions and is approved for LAPD carry.

3-gun: Custom AR upper with 18" WOA barrel and VTAC handguard, Trijicon TR24
    Mossberg 930, 21" bbl, +2

VRC Racing

MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2009
    Ijamsville
    F-Class:
    Remington 700P .308
    McMillan Stock
    Nightforce 8-32x56
    Harris Bi-Pod

3-Gun:
    S&W M&P Pro 9mm
    Colt LE6920
    Mossberg 590A1 w/ghost ring sights

IDPA:
    SSP- M&P Pro
    CDP- Colt 1911 Series 80 w/ some wilson parts

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    F class: Remington 700 R5 with Leopold mark 4

Three gun:
    old school- M1 paratrooper carbine, 1911, winchester trench gun
    with teh cool kids: M4gery with vortex aimpoint clone, 1911, Remington 870 26"/9

CMP/Highpower:
    CMP "special" garand 1944 springfield with new Kreiger-criterion barrel.
    NM AR hopefully by next year.....

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Looks like I'll have to start shooting 3 gun. I've got the hardware I've used in separate competitions so likes like it would be

Open sight 1911 45 ACP;
    24" iron sight Mossberg 500; and
    iron sight AR 15 pattern rifle (or M1 Carbine for short courses).

Where are you guys shooting the 3 gun matches?

S.A.M.G.

Nov 7, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    I normally use my A2 (AR-15) service Rifle and M-9 pistol (Berreta 92FS) for the Guard competition. I made the state team and got Md third place overall for combat rifle and Pistol at the MAC II last year. I would be better if I had a combo with my name on it instead of just using a rack grade that sits in a vault at the MTU. The combo I qualify with and the one i compete with are completely different. the one i use at my unit is untouched other than by me and the MTU set is a set of spares they issue out to other units on occasion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom