• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BMore

Feb 23, 2008
    High Rent District
    Gag on 2nd Amendment Is City’s Aim in Guns Suit

Lawyers for Mayor Bloomberg are asking a judge to ban any reference to the Second Amendment during the upcoming trial of a gun shop owner who was sued by the city. While trials are often tightly choreographed, with lawyers routinely instructed to not tell certain facts to a jury, a gag order on a section of the Constitution would be an oddity

Read the entire article here

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    OMG, that is hilarious!!! BAN references to the CONSTITUTION during a trial?!

If there is anything, ANYTHING that has ever served to prove the desperation of the anti-second-amendment movement, and their outright contempt for the United States Consitution, I have never heard of it.

squirrels

Who cooks for you?
    Jan 25, 2008
    OMG, that is hilarious!!! BAN references to the CONSTITUTION during a trial?!

If there is anything, ANYTHING that has ever served to prove the desperation of the anti-second-amendment movement, and their outright contempt for the United States Consitution, I have never heard of it.

How about the City of New York trying to bring a civil suit against an FFL in another state in the FIRST place?? If the FFL was doing something illegal, the state of Georgia or BATFE should've shut them down.

My guess is that neither group found anything illegal going on, but New York, not to be proven wrong, set out on a civil suit. That seems to be the "new hotness" when a criminal trial doesn't go your way...try suing.

I doubt this will go anywhere. Just a lot of posturing.

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    Lot of light, not much heat.

It was probably a "motion in limine," whereby lawyers try to keep evidence out of the case as a matter of strategic advantage. Happens all the time, especially in politically or emotionally charged cases where "outside" issues, if introduced, could make things go south for one party. I could see this being filed here because:

(1) NYC doesn't believe the "collective rights" 2A is relevant to their lawsuit,
    (from the article: “Any references by counsel to the Second Amendment or analogous state constitutional provisions are likewise irrelevant,” the brief states. . . .In a statement sent via e-mail to The New York Sun, the city’s criminal justice coordinator, John Feinblatt, said the issue at the upcoming Adventure Outdoors trial “isn’t the Constitution but whether the respondents broke federal firearms laws. . .The right to bear arms has nothing to do with whether the respondents made straw sales,” Mr. Feinblatt said.)

(2) NYC is worried that any mention could taint the jury (assuming there is a jury), and

(3) NYC may be worried about the NRA/Reason.com/Wall Street Journal Ed Board stirring up a hornet's nest of pro-RKBA fundraising fodder, i.e. "NYC opposes the 2A in Federal Court," just before the Heller decision AND before the November elections . . . .

ETA: and it works both ways:
    Still, Mr. Renzulli said he did not plan to oppose the city’s request regarding references to the Second Amendment. Mr. Renzulli, who has defended suits against the gun industry in Judge Weinstein’s courtroom before, said that in the past the defense has struck a deal with the plaintiffs on the matter: Lawyers for the gun industry won’t mention the Bill of Rights to the jury, if the plaintiffs don’t mention the National Rifle Association.

“We usually say we’re not talking about the Second Amendment and you’re not talking about the NRA as a huge lobbying group that controls the legislature,” Mr. Renzulli said.

He said he expected a similar agreement to be struck in the Adventure Outdoors case.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Has anyone seen this yet? Pulled from the FAL Files. I was looking for the validity of this but haven't had time as my basement has been flooded and with no power for most of the weekend....

Mayor Bloomberg, possibly Obama's pick for VP, is suing a gun shop owner and Lawyers for Bloomberg are asking the Judge for a gag on the Second Amendment:

quote:Lawyers for Mayor Bloomberg are asking a judge to ban any reference to the Second Amendment during the upcoming trial of a gun shop owner who was sued by the city. While trials are often tightly choreographed, with lawyers routinely instructed to not tell certain facts to a jury, a gag order on a section of the Constitution would be an oddity.

Toward the end of the article it goes on to say that the Lawyers for both sides may strike a deal on the issue.

http://nysun.com/news/new-york/gag-2nd-amendment-city-s-aim-guns-suit

DemoDave

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 25, 2008
    Cookeysville
    Look at Giuliani before him. Guliani pretty much tried to sue everybody from the gun manufacturers on down and he, for a while anyway, was a candidate for Preznit.

It's highly conceivable that Bloomberg could become VP. I have heard talk from people who should be "in the know" that Bloomberg might even make a wild card run for President

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom