• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I thought I had heard long ago that one did not have to so much as roll down the window.

Realistically, what would happen if I quietly declined to roll down the window, or show my license, etc? A check on my tags would reveal I'm as pure as the driven snow.

Realistically, what would happen?

Carry a sign that says: "I never, ever, ever, ever drink and I can't recite the alphabet backwards under any conditions so may I go now"?

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Maybe you should start with the politicians.

Got an uncle who is on his 8th DUI conviction. (You read that right, its the number eight). And he's still not in jail. And each time he was legally driving, able to get a license, register his vehicle, etc. He's totaled 3 vehicles and fled 2 scenes.

You can thank Senate President Mike Miller for getting him off with rehab for 7 of those (he did serve 30 days in work release one time though, I think that was for his hit and run on a parked car but I'm not sure).

Maybe if they would just take care of the people who are the problem, then maybe we wouldn't have to waste tax dollars and resources on an issue that is caused by a small minority of the population.

If it matters, he was never caught at a checkpoint.

"Maybe if they would just take care of the people who are the problem, then maybe we wouldn't have to waste tax dollars and resources on an issue that is caused by a small minority of the population."

- This seems to be a recurring theme in this state.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    "Maybe if they would just take care of the people who are the problem, then maybe we wouldn't have to waste tax dollars and resources on an issue that is caused by a small minority of the population."

- This seems to be a recurring theme in this state.

Listen to this man.

He lets strange people shoot his guns. :)

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    In a country that's supposed to have "freedom and liberty", the way to stop drunk drivers would be to punish repeat offenders instead of slapping them on the wrist and encourage motorists to police ourselves by calling the police if you see a drunk driver, not setting up roadblocks to harass people and check our papers.
    But after all, checkpoints are for police states so unfortunately I expect to see many more of them in the future...

CATMdude

I like turtles
    Dec 29, 2012
    Frederick
    The first video you posted was more along the lines of how it should go if the driver refuses. The second video is an example of a couple of officers that were wrong.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    In a country that's supposed to have "freedom and liberty", the way to stop drunk drivers would be to punish repeat offenders instead of slapping them on the wrist and encourage motorists to police ourselves by calling the police if you see a drunk driver, not setting up roadblocks to harass people and check our papers.
    But after all, checkpoints are for police states so unfortunately I expect to see many more of them in the future...

Keep it 100% real.....have you ever actually been through a sobriety check point?

signature

Jan 16, 2013
    This is interesting. So you roll down your window so that the police can stiff you? What if you don't roll down your window? Just curious. Never thought about these, never been through one, but it seems that if you don't comply or answer, you could be guilty. The cop asked the guy to get out for not answering his questions. That doesn't seem legal. Just asking.

signature

Jan 16, 2013
    Just answered my own question. According to Maryland State law, an officer can ask you to identify yourself and for registration. Other than that, you are not obligated under the law to answer anything. Interesting.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    Just answered my own question. According to Maryland State law, an officer can ask you to identify yourself and for registration. Other than that, you are not obligated under the law to answer anything. Interesting.

Do you have a citation? I'm not suggesting you're wrong. But when I read the Supreme Court's decision, which declared these types of checkpoints "reasonable" and therefore constitutional, I didn't see it specifically requiring anything like that. Is that just in Maryland?

REF:
    MICHIGAN DEPT. OF STATE POLICE v. SITZ, 496 U.S. 444 (1990)
    496 U.S. 444
    MICHIGAN DEPARTMENT OF STATE POLICE ET AL. v. SITZ ET AL.
    CERTIORARI TO THE COURT OF APPEALS OF MICHIGAN
    No. 88-1897.
    Argued February 27, 1990
    Decided June 14, 1990
    http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?court=us&vol=496&invol=444

Yellowhand

Jan 19, 2014
    Eastern Shore
    I've never run into a checkpoint. Do they do them in daytime or night or both? I rarely drive after sundown for no particular reason other than I'm a boring person.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    Drinking and driving is a bad mix. It kills innocent people. People with hopes and dreams, kids with with lives ahead of them. Snuffed out because someone wasn't responsible. Or sometimes it is even worse if they survive. Broken limbs, head injuries. Paralysis. What if this was your 15 year old daughter on her way to a movie, her first date. Now she is bed ridden and eats through an IV. Rotated every hour.

Yes, checkpoints can be an infringement. And yes, you can take the argument and make it for terrorism and whatever other "public scare" our politicians can use to control us.

But the fact is this. We live in a society that accepts/uses alcohol. We use cars as a primary means to get places. Years of working on the problem hasn't changed much. Perhaps a one and done policy would help. Why don't we have it?

I have no issues with sobriety check points. My kids will be driving sooner than I am ready. They have hopes and dreams, and a future. I want them to live to have them.

It is a hard argument and I get the other side as well.

AK-47

Feb 2, 2008
    I agree with checkpoints 100%. Driving is a privilege not a right. You are subject to random checks when driving period. If you aren't drinking you have nothing to worry about. You give up some rights every time you leave your house....

Also, having to take random drug tests due to company policy is also justified. If you aren't drinking or taking drugs then there shouldn't be a problem with either. Having to take drug tests to qualify for government assistance should be a requirement too.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    This weekend I was a passenger in a car and I drank a beer. I had to hurry because we had 15 minutes before we would cross the border into Maryland (from Virginia). It was a very good beer.
    Apologies for my ignorance, but are there no open container laws in Virginia?

I disagree with checkpoints, but the one time i was in one, they asked if I had any alcohol that day, I said no, and I was on my way.

Gbh

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    I thought I had heard long ago that one did not have to so much as roll down the window.

Not sure about Maryland but there are check points where LE hands out informational pamphlets to drivers. One way to attempt to get a voluntary window roll-down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom