• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    Has anyone tried one of these anywhere? Seems like a nice, simple idea. Our southern side is all large fixed and sliding glass, otherwise I think I’d have been tempted by now to give it a try.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Looks like an interesting setup. I think there's going to be quite a bit of heat loss around the windows because it will be hard to seal around it

chuck

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 1, 2016
    Anne Arundel
    I've seen people build these for garages. Typically out of cans that were painted black sandwiched between plexiglass and plywood.

Last edited:

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Black curtains? It is neat to be able to gather the light that wouldn't otherwise make it through your window for heat energy though. Sealing around it seems like it would be important. Cutoff gates for nighttime would probably also be nice, since without the sun you're effectively just giving the air in your home exposure to the colder air outside.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Whenever I piss off my deck or shoot in my backyard, I dream of someday owning a home in a nice neighborhood with an HOA.

Not for real.
    I terrorized an HOA in Columbia, Md long ago when I had a Condo. They were very happy to see me leave. :)

For real.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Black curtains? It is neat to be able to gather the light that wouldn't otherwise make it through your window for heat energy though. Sealing around it seems like it would be important. Cutoff gates for nighttime would probably also be nice, since without the sun you're effectively just giving the air in your home exposure to the colder air outside.

Opening the curtains would actually be more efficient. Light goes further into the house to warm it. The brighter room is a nice benefit

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    Somewhere I saw vertical blinds that were hollow inside dark on one side, light on the other, intended to act as passive solar heat collectors. IIRC, they were stupid expensive though.

Jimgoespewpew

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2021
    Terlingua
    I terrorized an HOA in Columbia, Md long ago when I had a Condo. They were very happy to see me leave. :)

For real.
    Hahahaha, my first place was a condo. It was a ground floor unit with a decent sized closet on the patio. At the time, I was restoring a 1964 Vespa in my kitchen and I turned that patio closet into a blasting booth, complete with one hell of a loud air compressor. Each condo was allotted one numbered parking spot. At the time, I had three cars and my girlfriend had one. I could continue, but that ownership experience made me vow to never reside under a Nazi regime (HOA) again.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    Whenever I piss off my deck or shoot in my backyard, I dream of someday owning a home in a nice neighborhood with an HOA.

Not for real.
    I keep telling the 2 1/2 year old grandson 'no pissin' off the porch - go out in the yard and take a leak' now he needs to learn not to drop trou when he's out in public and has to go....

Jimgoespewpew

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2021
    Terlingua
    I keep telling the 2 1/2 year old grandson 'no pissin' off the porch - go out in the yard and take a leak' now he needs to learn not to drop trou when he's out in public and has to go....
    Yeah, don't want to be like these guys
    7851149249539380066.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom