• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tsphillips

Mar 4, 2012
    Finksburg
    Last night there was a marathon deliberation on SB 281, which is ostensibly an assault weapons ban. An amendment was proposed to exempt antique firearms, but under pressure from Senator Frosh, the committee chairman, the amendment was withdrawn. Given the discussion it was clear that none of the committee members understood what C&R firearms are, or how they are regulated by the BATF.

There are very serious criminal implications for any of us who currently own C&R firearms that would be described as assault weapons per SB 281.

Please contact members of the Maryland Senate Judiciary Committee today and request that they amend the bill to exclude C&R firearms from the meaning of assault weapon. Contact by phone is likely the best approach, as most members likely have a significant backlog of unread email. Time is of the essence -- the votes for amendments will likely conclude today.

Per SB 281, failure to register assault weapons by this fall will result in criminal prosecution with the possibility of jail time.

Members of the Judicial Committee are:

Senator Brian E. Frosh (Chairman) (D-16)

301-858-3124

brian.frosh@senate.state.md.us

Senator Lisa A. Gladden (Vice Chairman) (D-41)

410-841-3697

lisa.gladden@senate.state.md.us

Senator James Brochin (D-42)

410-841-3648

jim.brochin@senate.state.md.us

Senator Joseph M. Getty (R-5)

410-841-3683

joseph.getty@senate.state.md.us

Senator Jennie M. Forehand (D-17)

301-858-3134

jennie.forehand@senate.state.md.us

Senator Nancy Jacobs (R-34)

410-841-3158

nancy.jacobs@senate.state.md.us

Senator C. Anthony Muse (D-26)

301-858-3092

anthony.muse@senate.state.md.us

Senator Jamie Raskin (D-20)

301-858-3634

jamie.raskin@senate.state.md.us

Senator Christopher B. Shank (R-2)

301-858-3903

christopher.shank@senate.state.md.us

Senator Norman R. Stone Jr. (D-6)

410-841-3587

norman.stone@senate.state.md.us

Senator Bobby A. Zirkin (D-11)

410-841-3131

bobby.zirkin@senate.state.md.us

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    What are they looking to ban? SKS rifles? Sorry if I missed it. So if you currently have like, a SKS, and either you don't register it or turn it in for meltdown, you get fined or go to jail?

tsphillips

Mar 4, 2012
    Finksburg
    The language from the bill (applying to long guns) has been:

(I) A SEMIAUTOMATIC CENTERFIRE RIFLE THAT CAN
    ACCEPT A DETACHABLE MAGAZINE AND HAS ANY OF THE FOLLOWING:
    1. A PISTOL GRIP THAT PROTRUDES
    CONSPICUOUSLY BENEATH THE ACTION OF THE WEAPON;
    2. A THUMBHOLE STOCK;
    3. A FOLDING OR TELESCOPING STOCK;
    4. A GRENADE LAUNCHER OR FLARE LAUNCHER;
    5. A FLASH SUPPRESSOR; OR
    6. A FORWARD PISTOL GRIP;
    (II) A SEMIAUTOMATIC CENTERFIRE RIFLE THAT HAS A
    FIXED MAGAZINE WITH THE CAPACITY TO ACCEPT MORE THAN 10 ROUNDS;
    (III) A SEMIAUTOMATIC CENTERFIRE RIFLE THAT HAS AN 15 OVERALL LENGTH OF LESS THAN 30 INCHES;
    (IV) A SEMIAUTOMATIC PISTOL THAT CAN ACCEPT A
    DETACHABLE MAGAZINE AND HAS ANY OF THE FOLLOWING:
    1. A THREADED BARREL, CAPABLE OF ACCEPTING A
    FLASH SUPPRESSOR, FORWARD HANDGRIP, OR SILENCER;
    2. A SECOND HANDGRIP;
    3. A SHROUD THAT IS ATTACHED TO OR THAT
    PARTIALLY OR COMPLETELY ENCIRCLES THE BARREL, EXCEPT FOR A SLIDE
    THAT ENCLOSES THE BARREL, AND THAT ALLOWS THE BEARER TO FIRE THE
    WEAPON WITHOUT BURNING THE BEARER’S HAND; OR
    4. THE CAPACITY TO ACCEPT A DETACHABLE
    MAGAZINE OUTSIDE THE PISTOL GRIP;
    (V) A SEMIAUTOMATIC PISTOL WITH A FIXED MAGAZINE
    THAT CAN ACCEPT MORE THAN 10 ROUNDS;

(The full text of the bill is here: http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2013RS/bills/sb/sb0281F.pdf)

There are additional restrictions on shotguns and pistols. Honestly, I don't pay enough attention to C&R shotguns and semi-auto pistols to understand the implications.

I think that the long gun section has been amended to read "any two of the following" instead of "any of the following" -- however, the deliberation on the amendments was sometimes hard to follow, and I have not yet seen a revised bill in writing.

Anything falling into the banned criteria must be registered with the state by November 1, 2013, or else:

(a) A person who violates this subtitle is guilty of a misdemeanor and on
    conviction is subject to imprisonment not exceeding 3 years or a fine not exceeding $5,000 or both.

I'm not a lawyer and certainly not an expert on every C&R firearm out there. However, I have drooled over enough C&R goodies to realize that there must be an intersection between C&R and this bill. (NFA weapons immediately come to mind.)

The amendment to exclude C&R weapons from the ban was withdrawn. It was clear from the judicial committee discussion that none of the senators understood what C&R weapons really are. I have petitioned the members of the committee to reconsider the amendment and exempt C&R weapons from the bill. I have not received a response.

Tom

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates

Joseph87'

Nobama
    Dec 22, 2011
    Charleston SC
    Don't be just c&r selfish. Nothing in that bill is sensible moreless you choosing your c&r weapons and saying there not assault weapons. None of our weapons are assault weapons so fight the bill not a part !!!!!!!op

Shazam

Dec 20, 2012
    Fighting the bill by pointing out numerous small problems and adding amendments, like C&R, may be a very effective tactic.

mgbill

Apr 19, 2007
    Mount Airy, MD
    Okay - help me out here. What are specific examples of C&R firearms that are affected by this proposed legislation? (I'm not trying to be a smart ass - I just don't know that much about semi-auto C&R rifles.)

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I am so glad I moved out of Maryland aand don't have to put up with this crap.

Maryland is moving to PA & VA, as is NY, and soon you will be eating this crap with a spoon. You might look to hardening your borders while you have the chance.

hdatontodo

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2012
    So. Central Balto Co
    Okay - help me out here. What are specific examples of C&R firearms that are affected by this proposed legislation? (I'm not trying to be a smart ass - I just don't know that much about semi-auto C&R rifles.)

How about an SKS which has a removable AK magazine.

How about an SKS with a fixed 20 round magazine.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    D's & M's (I think those are the correct SKS models) are already regulated rifles in MD, they would be moot.

There is an attached 20 round mag variant SKS. I don't know of any other greater than 10 semi, but its probably out there somewhere

Sirex