• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I normally post about guns on this forum but dug these two gems out to show the world. Story goes that my Grandpa found these in an antique shop years and years ago and paid $125 for the pair.

The one on the left is a Model 1860 Light Cavalry Saber. At the base of the blade it is stamped "US G.W.C. 1865". G.W.C would have been the inspector and 1865 was the year of manufacture. The other side of the blade is marked "Ames Mfg Co". The Ames Manufacturing Company made a lot of sabers for the US military. The chord wrapping on the handle is still present. He originally bought the sword without the scabbard and I'd like to find one some day to make it complete.

The saber on the right is a Model 1840 Cavalry Saber, often referred to as a "wrist breaker" due to its weight (my understanding is that it would supposedly break one's wrist should they swing and miss the target). It is marked "US A.D.K" and "Ames Mfg. Co. 1850". The scabbard is pitted and the chord wrapping on the handle is all but gone.

Both swords are in remarkably good shape (at least in my opinion) given that they were made before or during the Civil War.

Post up your old sabers if'n you have any!

Attachments

• 20140316_172048.jpg
      20140316_172048.jpg
      64.3 KB · Views: 162

bkraft

Jul 24, 2008
    Eldersburg
    I also have an 1860 Cavalry Saber. My Dad picked it up in an antique shop about 30 years ago and it is in really great condition, excellent patina, wire wrapping intact... Unfortunately, I don't have a pic at the moment.

I do however have another sword, just a little older...

tachi2.jpg

fullblade_ps.jpg

LftBoshi_ps.jpg

I guess, technically you could call it a Calvary Saber, as it is signed Tachi-mei, which means that currently it is cut down from what was originally a much longer blade used by mounted soldiers.

Unfortunately, the shortening chopped off all but the first three kanji on the tang which makes it a challenge to date and link to a smith. The Kanji spells "Chik Shu" which is the old spelling for Chikuzen Province. The best I can tell at this point is that the blade is most likely at least 600 years old and possibly much older.

Conductor

Mar 14, 2014
    Loudoun County, VA
    Bertfish...

I've got a good friend who restores swords for a living. He has done several for me, and does excellent work. His name is Jim Brown, and he's in Wisconsin.
    If you're interested in having the grip on your 1840 Dragoon saber restored, let me know, and I'll dig out Jim's number for you.
    If you want a reference on the guy, contact Wes or Sam Small at The Horse Soldier in Gettysburg. Jim had restored/repaired a number of swords for them.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Bertfish...

I've got a good friend who restores swords for a living. He has done several for me, and does excellent work. His name is Jim Brown, and he's in Wisconsin.
    If you're interested in having the grip on your 1840 Dragoon saber restored, let me know, and I'll dig out Jim's number for you.
    If you want a reference on the guy, contact Wes or Sam Small at The Horse Soldier in Gettysburg. Jim had restored/repaired a number of swords for them.

Ballpark estimate on what that'd cost? And how it may affect collectability of the saber? It's a shame the grip is in the condition it's in, the rest of the sword is in decent shape.

As I said I'd also like to find a correct scabbard for the 1860. It's never had one while in our ownership

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom