Sound Suppressor considered a "flash suppressor" per MD law?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    My comment about blaming Chad was a joke... But a joke is not really funny unless there is a smidgen of truth.

More :sarcasm: added on top of previous :sarcasm:

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    My comment about blaming Chad was a joke... But a joke is not really funny unless there is a smidgen of truth.

More :sarcasm: added on top of previous :sarcasm:

Fair enough. Not looking to jerk anyone's chain. Chad knows his stuff, not denying that, but the answer posed in the OP was determined (really in my initial post) but certainly by post 5 or so. Everyone's input was and is appreciated. I don't, however like the insinuation that I or anyone else in the thread was looking to be "clever" and/or seeking to do something outside of the law, stupid or otherwise. It's an incorrect assumption and entirely unnecessary.

The above notwithstanding, I think we've pretty much covered this one :deadhorse:: despite multiple and differing different definitions at both the state and federal level, a suppressor/silencer is an evil feature in MD - SBR's included.

/thread

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Not to argue the point but, isn't that also an unintended benefit?

It doesn't matter. According to FSA2013, if it reduces the flash, no matter whether it is is meant to or not, it is a flash suppressor.

Intended or unintended.

TapRackBang

Cheaper Than Diamonds
    Jan 14, 2012
    Bel Air
    It doesn't matter. According to FSA2013, if it reduces the flash, no matter whether it is is meant to or not, it is a flash suppressor.

Intended or unintended.

Which, of course, means holding your Modern Sporting Rifle with your thumb over the rail as people do makes it a copycat since it will "PERCEPTIBLY REDUCE OR REDIRECT MUZZLE FLASH FROM THE SHOOTER’S FIELD OF VISION." :sad20:

Fsck me gently with a chainsaw. I used to love Maryland. :mad54:

Devil Dog

Sep 20, 2013
    If what everyone is saying in this thread were true, SBRs could be less than 29" in OAL. Under current interpretation by MSP, an SBR can be a copycat rifle. As such, you can't have a folding stock and flash hider on your SBR. That includes suppressors. Under MD law, a flash Suppressor is :

(G) “FLASH SUPPRESSOR” MEANS A DEVICE THAT FUNCTIONS, OR IS INTENDED TO FUNCTION, TO PERCEPTIBLY REDUCE OR REDIRECT MUZZLE FLASH FROM THE SHOOTER’S FIELD OF VISION.

I think it's pretty clear a suppressor would be a flash suppressor for purposes of the copycat provisions.
    This.

Pmbspyder

Platinum Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    This post belongs in the handgun section, but if you're really worried you can make it a handgun with a folding sigbrace and use a suppressor. Then you fall into the "shouldering" weeds, but at least you can run your folding brace and suppressor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scooby225

Latest threads

Top Bottom