• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GasTerp09

Major League Gas Passer
    Dec 3, 2011
    Towson, MD
    Went to the gun show in Timonium yesterday hoping to find a nice used O/U for my dad for Christmas. Not much to look at there.... Anyone know of a local (greater Baltimore area) source that carries a decent selection of used O/U trap guns? I know my dad would like a beretta or browning but he likes 20g, to limit the punishment his shoulder has to take. Any advice is appreciated.

trap

Sep 26, 2010
    Germantown
    Went to the gun show in Timonium yesterday hoping to find a nice used O/U for my dad for Christmas. Not much to look at there.... Anyone know of a local (greater Baltimore area) source that carries a decent selection of used O/U trap guns? I know my dad would like a beretta or browning but he likes 20g, to limit the punishment his shoulder has to take. Any advice is appreciated.

try Bart's Sports World in Glen Burnie.

Clyde's Sport Shop in Landsdowne had some used O/U's last time i went there.

the recoil of a 12 ga with a 7/8 oz shot load will be somewhere near the recoil of a 20 ga, if i may add.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    As mentioned above, visit Bart's and Clyde's. They usually have nice used ones. I shoot sporting clays (50-200 rounds at a time) with a 12ga Citori using Winchester AA 26gr #8 (AA12FL8). Dick's carries them. Recoil with those is trivial. A 20ga O/U is generally lighter than a 12ga, so it can kick as much like a mule as a 12ga depending on the shells you use.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    More thoughts. If your father happens to be shooting trap with 1-1/8oz loads, then that's one reason for the sore shoulder. Before you go buy another shotgun, some things to double check with his current shotgun (O/U?) are:
    1) Does it fit him properly? LOP being too long or short can cause bruising and shoulder pain.
    2) Is he shouldering it properly? If he holds it in the wrong spot, then more shoulder or upper arm bruising and pain.
    3) Does he have to crane his neck in odd directions to see the sight plane? If he does, then the gun doesn't fit. Either the gun needs stock work to fit him or he's better off with a different gun.
    4) Is the recoil pad too hard? If it is, it's inexpensive to have a gunsmith put on a soft one.
    5) Is he holding the gun firmly against his shoulder when firing? If not, it will fly back hard into his shoulder.

In other words, just make sure the shotgun he has now is set up correctly for his body frame. Otherwise simply buying another shotgun could result in the same problem with two shotguns.

A good way to check this stuff is to watch him at a gun store as a shoulders a Browning Citori O/U followed by a Beretta 686/687 O/U. See which one fits. It should be obvious. Rarely if ever do both fit because the receivers are different heights. In my case, Berettas don't fit me at all. Citoris fit me like a glove once the LOP is adjusted to 13.75".

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    There are really no decent target shotgun dealers in Maryland with a large inventory and/or decent prices. Best bet is Miller's Gun Center on Rt 13 in New Castle, De. Good inventory new and used, decent prices and no sales tax. What price range are you looking at?

Know that most 20ga guns kick as much or more than 12ga guns due to their reduced weight and limited availability of lower recoiling shells. Besides, if it's for trap, that's a 12ga game unless it's local informal shooting. Many shooters are shooting 1oz loads now to escape the long term issues of accumulated recoil. I would get him a gun that fits and have a better recoil pad installed. If you are insistant upon a 20ga though, I might be able to help you out with a 30" sporter that would work for trap.

Additionally, if you are not up to speed on used trap guns, it's important to know that a trap gun is probably the most altered, modified, monkeyed with shotgun alive. Some mods are well done while others are abortions. It's easy to get screwed if you don't know what to look for.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    There are really no decent target shotgun dealers in Maryland with a large inventory and/or decent prices. Best bet is Miller's Gun Center on Rt 13 in New Castle, De. Good inventory new and used, decent prices and no sales tax. What price range are you looking at?

I used to shop there occasionally before moving to MD. They had a mad selection of O/U and SxS, and staff about as knowledgeable on shotguns as you will find anywhere... But don't expect friendly service, and be prepared to rub shoulders with very sketchy cliental.

JavaDan

Beer - Nectar of the Gods
    Feb 25, 2010
    Pasadena
    Call Albrights in Easton. He usually has a good selection.

I bought my Beretta from him. My son-in-law got his Citori there.

Good people. Worth the trip across the bridge.

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    I used to shop there occasionally before moving to MD. They had a mad selection of O/U and SxS, and staff about as knowledgeable on shotguns as you will find anywhere... But don't expect friendly service, and be prepared to rub shoulders with very sketchy cliental.

I hear 'ya, but if you ever worked on the other side of the counter in a gun shop or a bar and have to listen to the BS and tire kickers, it can sour you a bit. As to the clientel, you can't avoid that in shops, autions or gun shows, so just put them on ignore.

If you really know what you want in a used target gun, I would shop on-line at some of the bigger dealers in the country or some of the shotgun leaning forums/sites like shotgunworld.com or trapshooters.com.

GasTerp09

Major League Gas Passer
    Dec 3, 2011
    Towson, MD
    More thoughts. If your father happens to be shooting trap with 1-1/8oz loads, then that's one reason for the sore shoulder. Before you go buy another shotgun, some things to double check with his current shotgun (O/U?) are:
    1) Does it fit him properly? LOP being too long or short can cause bruising and shoulder pain.
    2) Is he shouldering it properly? If he holds it in the wrong spot, then more shoulder or upper arm bruising and pain.
    3) Does he have to crane his neck in odd directions to see the sight plane? If he does, then the gun doesn't fit. Either the gun needs stock work to fit him or he's better off with a different gun.
    4) Is the recoil pad too hard? If it is, it's inexpensive to have a gunsmith put on a soft one.
    5) Is he holding the gun firmly against his shoulder when firing? If not, it will fly back hard into his shoulder.

In other words, just make sure the shotgun he has now is set up correctly for his body frame. Otherwise simply buying another shotgun could result in the same problem with two shotguns.

A good way to check this stuff is to watch him at a gun store as a shoulders a Browning Citori O/U followed by a Beretta 686/687 O/U. See which one fits. It should be obvious. Rarely if ever do both fit because the receivers are different heights. In my case, Berettas don't fit me at all. Citoris fit me like a glove once the LOP is adjusted to 13.75".

He has a stoeger o/u now but I don't think it fits him very well. He shoulders it well but He's about my size (6' 1") and the gun feels small to me and the comb seems too high.. Overall, not really impressed with the condor, and I would like to get him something nice. Low recoil loads would be a nice option and I think I can get him a nice used 686 or citori that fits him better.

GasTerp09

Major League Gas Passer
    Dec 3, 2011
    Towson, MD

Know that most 20ga guns kick as much or more than 12ga guns due to their reduced weight and limited availability of lower recoiling shells. Besides, if it's for trap, that's a 12ga game unless it's local informal shooting. Many shooters are shooting 1oz loads now to escape the long term issues of accumulated recoil. I would get him a gun that fits and have a better recoil pad installed. If you are insistant upon a 20ga though, I might be able to help you out with a 30" sporter that would work for trap.

Additionally, if you are not up to speed on used trap guns, it's important to know that a trap gun is probably the most altered, modified, monkeyed with shotgun alive. Some mods are well done while others are abortions. It's easy to get screwed if you don't know what to look for.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll check out Millers.

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    I'll be shooting PG on Fri-Sat. I'll check they're board for you. So is it s Trap gun or a Sporter that you are looking for?

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    You should dedicate a day with your pops and hit up Lancaster and Lebanon County PA. Plenty of "Shotgun" shops up there.

Shyda's, Richland Shooting Supplies are the ones I talk about on here. I'm sure a quick gawk at the PAFOA forum will direct you towards some other large shops that aren't too far out of the way that might be worthwhile to check out.

If you're coming from Towson, you could also stop in Gander Mountain in York. 3 shops with at least over 100 shotguns you're looking at in stock, you won't come home empty handed.

GasTerp09

Major League Gas Passer
    Dec 3, 2011
    Towson, MD
    You should dedicate a day with your pops and hit up Lancaster and Lebanon County PA. Plenty of "Shotgun" shops up there.

Shyda's, Richland Shooting Supplies are the ones I talk about on here. I'm sure a quick gawk at the PAFOA forum will direct you towards some other large shops that aren't too far out of the way that might be worthwhile to check out.

If you're coming from Towson, you could also stop in Gander Mountain in York. 3 shops with at least over 100 shotguns you're looking at in stock, you won't come home empty handed.

That's a good idea. I used to live in Hershey and I wouldn't mind a day trip up to central PA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom