• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    I just aquired a SPAS12. I am thinking of keeping it as an investment gun(safe queen), but I would like to take it to an up coming USPSA match for WOW factor :D My question is, can these guns fire light field loads on semi auto? I just got it, and tried it with field loads and the bolt doesn't cycle enough. Put 3" buck in it and it runs great. I haven't had a chance to sit down and really figure the gun out yet, and it didn't come with a manual. I see what looks like a regulator ahead of the forearm, but haven't take the time to mess with it. Any insight would be appreciated. And I am sure if I don't post it people will ask, so here is a picture :party29:

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    I'm not sure about running 1 oz. loads through a SPAS, but if it won't cycle I'd try 1 1/8 oz. loads. The extra 1/8 oz. made the difference in getting my Beretta 1200 FP riot gun to cycle.

By the way, if you just picked up your SPAS you might want to look at changing out the recoil buffer. It is a known problem with them. The original plastic buffers degenerate and rot over time and need to be replaced. If not replaced and you shoot the gun much you could hurt the receiver.

http://spas12.com/spas12repairs.htm#shock

Good luck with your SPAS!

Onua

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2008
    Carroll County
    3" in a spas 12? I swear mine is 2 3/4 only. but I have the same issue.

EDIT: The gun does cycle, the empty will eject and a new round will be loaded into the chamber, just the gun is not cocked

I stripped mine down to a point I was comfortable with and checked the o-rings they look ok, there isnt any damage in the reciever from the recoil buffer.

one of the manuals on the spas12 page says up to 3 1/2 dram max for the semi auto feature.

http://spas12.com/spas12-manual-us.pdf

I have the fixed stock model

Last edited:

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    Thanks for all the help guys! I will surely check into all the mentioned things. I'm not overly concerned with shooting it much, but I do want it to be right.

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    Well after reading about the safety issue, I am not sure I want to keep this gun for liability reasons. I haven't fully decided yet, as it has some centimental value, but it may be for sale soon. Does anyone know any way to get my hands on an updated trigger group? If I can't get one, it's either going to be a total safe queen or listed for sale eventually. I don't believe much in safe queens, and if I can't enjoy shooting a gun it's not worth having it to me. Although this gun did belong to a friend who passed away, so I am torn on the idea of selling it.

Slimjim

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    Well after reading about the safety issue, I am not sure I want to keep this gun for liability reasons. I haven't fully decided yet, as it has some centimental value, but it may be for sale soon. Does anyone know any way to get my hands on an updated trigger group? If I can't get one, it's either going to be a total safe queen or listed for sale eventually. I don't believe much in safe queens, and if I can't enjoy shooting a gun it's not worth having it to me. Although this gun did belong to a friend who passed away, so I am torn on the idea of selling it.

Good luck getting one, They dont make the kits anymore even though franchi still exists. Id just keep it unloaded and not use the safety. Also, i hope you replaced the buffer in it so you didnt damage the reciever.

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    Good luck getting one, They dont make the kits anymore even though franchi still exists. Id just keep it unloaded and not use the safety. Also, i hope you replaced the buffer in it so you didnt damage the reciever.

the gun has been sitting unused for years and I only fired 6 ronds through it. I am going to check the buffer this week. I'm sure it needs one, after all I have read.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I just aquired a SPAS12. I am thinking of keeping it as an investment gun(safe queen), but I would like to take it to an up coming USPSA match for WOW factor :D My question is, can these guns fire light field loads on semi auto? I just got it, and tried it with field loads and the bolt doesn't cycle enough. Put 3" buck in it and it runs great. I haven't had a chance to sit down and really figure the gun out yet, and it didn't come with a manual. I see what looks like a regulator ahead of the forearm, but haven't take the time to mess with it. Any insight would be appreciated. And I am sure if I don't post it people will ask, so here is a picture :party29:

heres an online manual.... I'd have to look at mine but i didnt think it had any regulator...just that o-ring that maybe worn out? or the gas holes may be plugged... http://spas12.com/spas12repairs.htm#shock

http://spas12.com/spas12d.htm

http://spas12.com/spas12-manual-us.pdf

gunrunner

New MK12 Mod 0 Fan
    Dec 20, 2008
    Clear Spring, MD.
    I would check with marlin at PDI for your parts on this. He can get things that others can not. It would be worth a try. He also has a vast knowledge of tactical weapons in general. Just a thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom