Special requirement for Reloading supplies?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shovel1966

May 14, 2016
    Springfield, VA
    Very new to the area and have a simple question. Do you have to have a special license, card, ID etc to purchase ammo and/or reloading components in Maryland? I would like to attend a MD gun show sometime in the near future, but if I can't purchase firearms or reloading components it almost seems pointless. I will just attend in Virginia.

When I moved to Rhode Island in 2012 I drove to Foxboro MA because they had a Bass Pro Shops. (RI doesn't have one) I was shockingly disappointed when I could not purchase any ammo, powder, primers, empty cases, bullets or ANYTHING even related to ammo since I didn't have a MA FID card. When I inquired about getting one, I found that it cost out-of-state residents $100 per year to get and MA state police would have to review my application and decided if I were worthy of purchasing empty brass casings or not. Needless to say I just stayed in RI or did internet purchases the last 4 years.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    No, we don't have any of that crap. Well, not yet, anyway. There may be an age requirement but there's no license or permit. Cash and carry on ammo, powder & primers.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    It is as stated above on reloading components. Firearms can be purchased from licensed FFL dealers however, handguns must be transferred through an FFL dealer in your state. Firearms can not be purchased from individuals that are not residents of the same state. If you wish to purchase from an individual, the transfer must go through an FFL holder in your home state.

ihriec

Aug 10, 2013
    I generally purchase reloading supplies when I go to MD gun shows. Sometimes the prices may be a little higher but you don't have to pay the hazmat fee for shipping. You do need a MD HQL to purchase a handgun.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    If you are in Springfield, just go to the Dulles show and stock up there especially powder and primers, online is still probably cheaper for equipment, bullets and brass.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Drivers licensee is required in MD to show for purchasing powder so they can enter it in fire marshal log book.

shovel1966

May 14, 2016
    Springfield, VA
    If you are in Springfield, just go to the Dulles show and stock up there especially powder and primers, online is still probably cheaper for equipment, bullets and brass.

Actually, I still live in Rhode Island for the next 5 weeks or so. We are moving to Springfield the first week of July. I just joined this forum to get closer to the community and learn about the local laws, ranges, gun shops, and connect with the community.

So far this forum has been a great addition to my daily routine. I am really looking forward to going to gun shows again since I haven't been to one in over 4 years.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Drivers licensee is required in MD to show for purchasing powder so they can enter it in fire marshal log book.
    ^^ This... there is a 5lb limit for possession of smokeless powder in MD, so some lgs's will ask for ID to enter in their logs and most LGS's won't sell you more than 5lbs at a time. No restriction on ammo, boolits, brass or primers tho. I rarely buy at gun shows anymore, not sure how they roll..

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    When you move here, check this guy.

Bullet 41, LLC
    17521 Tripoli Blvd
    Dumfries, VA 22026
    Tel: 703-221-8029

Hours: Monday-Saturday 9:30-6:30
    Sunday-Appointment Only

Email: sales@bullet41.com

www.bullet41.com

The little shop with a lot of spirit.

The owner is a veteran.

Here's a list of powders they're having on clearance:

Alliant American Select Smokeless Powder (1lb) - $22.20

Alliant Green Dot Smokeless Powder (1lb) - $24.40

Alliant Promo Smokeless Shotshell Powder (8lbs) - $127.50

Alliant Red Dot Smokeless Powder(1lb) - $23.40

Alliant Reloader 10X Smokeless Rifle Powder (1lb) - $26.20

Hodgdon 700X (14oz) - $20.40

Hodgdon 700X HI-SKOR Smokeless Powder (8lb) - $140.50

Hodgdon 800X (1lb) - $21.25

Hodgdon 800X HI-SKOR Smokeless Powder (4lb) - $79.95

Hodgdon Benchmark Smokeless Powder (1lb) - $27.95

Hodgdon International Clays Smokeless Powder (8lb) - $158.60

Hodgdon International Clays Smokeless Powder(1lb) - $22.30

Hodgdon Longshot Smokeless Shotgun Powder (1lb) - $23.85

Ramshot Competition Smokeless Shotgun Powder (1lb) - $23.85

Winchester Autocomp Smokeless Pistol Powder (1lb) - $24.70

Some brass on sale, too.

New Brass Conv. .300 BLK Primed Cartridge Cases 100 Count - $23.50

shovel1966

May 14, 2016
    Springfield, VA
    When you move here, check this guy.

Bullet 41, LLC
    17521 Tripoli Blvd
    Dumfries, VA 22026
    Tel: 703-221-8029

Hours: Monday-Saturday 9:30-6:30
    Sunday-Appointment Only

Nice,
    Google Maps says that is between 25 and 30 minutes from the new house. How did you get all the current sale prices? The website seems pretty basic and didn't see any products for sale. Will check them out when I'm in the area. Thanks, Jim.

Chad

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    It is as stated above on reloading components. Firearms can be purchased from licensed FFL dealers however, handguns must be transferred through an FFL dealer in your state. Firearms can not be purchased from individuals that are not residents of the same state. If you wish to purchase from an individual, the transfer must go through an FFL holder in your home state.

Slight correction, individual to individual sales can go through an FFL in any state. Home state of buyer is NOT required.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom