• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • psybersapien

May 21, 2017
    I'm practicing my basic skills in order to join a match but I'd like to watch some matches in the meantime (for equipment, techniques, operation, etc.).

Is having spectator's frowned upon?
    If not, should I mention I'm there just to watch to the match director/RSO?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nanook

F-notso-NG-anymore
    I have yet to see any match turn any spectator away. Absolutely bring eye/ear protection and you'll probably have to sign a waiver. Show up early and DO let the match staff/RSO/whomever that you are interested in learning that discipline and would like to observe. Obviously they will keep an eye on you to make sure you aren't there to walk off with somebody's gear/guns and to make sure you don't get hurt or dead because you broke a bunch of safety rules.

With this COVID crap running around, spots may be limited for matches and that might be the only concern they might have.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    especially if your first match you're spectating is a steel challenge match, do your self a favor and bring your gun, ammo, mags and holster. i guaranfriggintee after you see a few guys shoot the first stage you will be wanting to shoot the rest with them. i haven't met a guy yet who wasn't sorry he didn't bring his guns and gear, and i haven't met a guy yet who wasn't happy he did bring his guns and gear to his first match. and i haven't been to a match yet where they wouldn't let a newbie start from low ready if they were reluctant to holster and draw.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    especially if your first match you're spectating is a steel challenge match, do your self a favor and bring your gun, ammo, mags and holster. i guaranfriggintee after you see a few guys shoot the first stage you will be wanting to shoot the rest with them. i haven't met a guy yet who wasn't sorry he didn't bring his guns and gear, and i haven't met a guy yet who wasn't happy he did bring his guns and gear to his first match. and i haven't been to a match yet where they wouldn't let a newbie start from low ready if they were reluctant to holster and draw.

This, definitely. Also, with Covid limiting the number of people at an event, they may not want extra bodies around who aren't shooting.

Where are you located? AGC has a steel match coming up on 8/1, and I think there may still be a few slots open.
    You'll want to create an account on practiscore to register.

https://www.practiscore.com/agc-outlaw-steel-challenge-match-clone/register

Register right away to save your spot, and you'll have time to search some of the competitive shooting threads around here to learn what you need.

I just went as a spectator to the MARS match out in Almost Heaven WVA. Signed a waver. Had sunglasses for the day, and the .22 were quiet enough back where I was perched.
    There, no "official" social distancing or mask requirement. People did behave appropriately for Covid, considering the space available. Also a nice breeze, and plenty of sun. Rimfire at 200yds and beyond does look like lots of fun. Space guns, subsonic, and cans.

psybersapien

May 21, 2017

Thanks for the encouragement! Makes me want to go even more.

psybersapien

May 21, 2017
    This, definitely. Also, with Covid limiting the number of people at an event, they may not want extra bodies around who aren't shooting.

Where are you located? AGC has a steel match coming up on 8/1, and I think there may still be a few slots open.
    You'll want to create an account on practiscore to register.

https://www.practiscore.com/agc-outlaw-steel-challenge-match-clone/register

Register right away to save your spot, and you'll have time to search some of the competitive shooting threads around here to learn what you need.

I go to the AGC and a member of the Action Shooting club (inactive for now) and saw the 8/1 steel match on the event calendar.
    I believe I also saw a communication that movement is limited due to the heat. That could work in my favor if I decide to jump in on the fun. I'm kinda hobbled at the moment while I rehabilitate from a hip replacement due to an accident. I'm about 75% healed but rapid start/stop, crouching etc. on a stage wouldn't end well for me right now.

Nanook

F-notso-NG-anymore
    I'm kinda hobbled at the moment while I rehabilitate from a hip replacement due to an accident. I'm about 75% healed but rapid start/stop, crouching etc. on a stage wouldn't end well for me right now.

Do what you can as well as you can. Explain (briefly) to the folks about your issues. Unless a shoot and scoot match specifies you MUST shoot a target from a particular stance, some accommodations could be made, e.g. shoot over a barricade rather than around it. If a sanctioned match, your score might not count competitively but do what you can. (Your scores probably won't be 'competitive' against others for a while but if you focus on YOUR shooting, other folks' scores don't matter anyway.)

I go to the AGC and a member of the Action Shooting club (inactive for now) and saw the 8/1 steel match on the event calendar.
    I believe I also saw a communication that movement is limited due to the heat. That could work in my favor if I decide to jump in on the fun. I'm kinda hobbled at the moment while I rehabilitate from a hip replacement due to an accident. I'm about 75% healed but rapid start/stop, crouching etc. on a stage wouldn't end well for me right now.

Do what you can as well as you can. Explain (briefly) to the folks about your issues. Unless a shoot and scoot match specifies you MUST shoot a target from a particular stance, some accommodations could be made, e.g. shoot over a barricade rather than around it. If a sanctioned match, your score might not count competitively but do what you can. (Your scores probably won't be 'competitive' against others for a while but if you focus on YOUR shooting, other folks' scores don't matter anyway.)

The AGC Outlaw Steel Challenge is not a sanctioned match. If you have physical constraints, they will be accommodated.
    I have bilateral total hip replacements (Avascular Necrosis) and I shoot the match as often as I can.
    Maybe we can start a new "hobble division".

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    If you show up as a spectator at our AAF&G Cowboy Action matches, and you're not an idiot, you'll likely be invited to shoot a stage just to try it.

Pensfaninmd

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 28, 2010
    Harford County
    The AGC Outlaw Steel Challenge is not a sanctioned match. If you have physical constraints, they will be accommodated.
    I have bilateral total hip replacements (Avascular Necrosis) and I shoot the match as often as I can.
    Maybe we can start a new "hobble division".

I will be there for the match. Count me in for the hobble division too....

psybersapien

May 21, 2017
    I was getting excited to go to a match given all the encouragement then went to replenish my dwindling 9mm ammunition supply and .
    Ammunition is really scarce these days and the outlook I read of increased supply by October was disheartening. Even that forcast was speculative.
    Apologies. My post is taking the discussion on another tangent. Just lamenting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pureblood

Latest threads

Top Bottom