• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ea689c

Mar 26, 2012
    Sterling, VA
    So like so many others who see a $100-$125 rifle and extremely cheap ammo, I took the plunge a while back and got a 1942 round receiver Mosin Nagant---and then the mod bug got me so I got the ATI stock for it, removed the rear sight, put a cheap scope on it and went boar hunting. The gun shoots great, and it feels good to know you are using something again that sat in a crate for so long. However, it is still a long heavy gun that after 30-40 rounds just playing with it and dialing in the scope I could really feel it in my shoulder the next day. I think I want to cut the barrel down from the 28.75" that it currently is as its a beast to lug around. Has anyone here cut a Mosin barrel and if so what was your experience?

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    on American Guns, they just use a hacksaw.

Here is my cut down 1917 Remington Mosin..

2011-01-29_14-23-27_884.jpg

2011-01-29_14-22-18_635.jpg

BerBer5985

Apr 3, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    I'm doing the same to mine, however I like iron sights as an option so I haven't done it yet. It's a long sob though. Im more a fan of the scout type rifles with a short barrel. They handle well for me.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    It's your choice but I will say if you cut the barrel down the gun will be lighter making the recoil even stronger plus you ruin any type of collector value it might have in the future.

ea689c

Mar 26, 2012
    Sterling, VA
    I agree about the collectors part of this. I plan on getting a few more of these and probably leaving them packed in cosmoline, but this rifle is going to get used. As far as the recoil, I think getting a limb saver should do the trick.

chris12138

Kitchen Table Machinist
    Jul 12, 2011
    St Marys
    Why cut the barrel? Just buy a second one in an M44, M38 or M59 flavor. You can never have just one!

This. PETCARR

People for the

Ethical

Treatment of

Curio

And

Relic

Rifles

Though I will admit, my friend sporterized his mosin with the synthetic stock, bolt handle, scope mount. It is gonna be a fantastic hunting rifle!

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    A shortened sporterized Mosin? Who would do such a thing. 16" Barrel with AMD-65 Muzzle Brake.

POI Changed for me, it shoots a bit high now, but is repeatable.

Attachments

• DSCN1039.jpg
      DSCN1039.jpg
      62.9 KB · Views: 185

chris12138

Kitchen Table Machinist
    Jul 12, 2011
    St Marys
    A shortened sporterized Mosin? Who would do such a thing. 16" Barrel with AMD-65 Muzzle Brake.

POI Changed for me, it shoots a bit high now, but is repeatable.

That is sexy! I guess as many as their are out there it's not a huge deal...Just leave the Ex Dragoons alone damnit!

ea689c

Mar 26, 2012
    Sterling, VA
    There is a whole report out by a student at the University of Southern Florida that used a Mosin Nagant to test the effects in muzzle velocity by cutting down the barrel in 2 inch increments down from 28.75" to 16.75". He found that it was a linear decline in velocity but was still very effective out to 200 meters. I think 20" is good for me.

Sirex