• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Flametamer

MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2014
    Frederick County
    I'm getting too lazy to look in my spotting scope, so I stole an idea from I don't remember where.... Sorry if this is a dupe, I really did search before posting this...

Rigged up a mount to hang my cell phone on the scope so I can use the phone's camera to 'look' in the scope.

Materials list - about 2 inches of scrap PVC pipe, groovy camo duct tape to wrap around the outside of the pipe, vinyl electrical tape to line the inside of the pipe so it fits snugly over the eyepiece (in my case one layer of tape did the trick), a cheap case for the phone (flat back preferred), gel type super glue, 150 grit sandpaper, and some saran wrap or equivalent to protect the lens on the scope and the lens on the camera from the super glue vapors during assembly (this is important if you value your lenses).

Cut the pipe to length so that the phone case will just rest on the end of the eyepiece hood. Smooth the ends of the pipe, and sculpt the end that the phone attaches to if the case is not flat. Line the inside of the pipe with tape as needed to achieve a snug, but not too snug fit. I ran the tape longitudinally along the wall of the pipe so the eyepiece rubber won't pull the tape loose. (Any tape would work, but electrical tape is slick enough so that sliding the mount over the eyepiece is simple.)

Practice first. Put the phone in the case, and line it up with the eyepiece and pipe to get the best picture with the camera. Do this several times until you are confident you can nail the alignment quickly, on the first attempt. (In my case with the Galaxy S5, the pipe extends about 1/4 inch above the case.)

Once you think you can nail the alignment of the phone camera with the sweet spot in the eyepiece, remove the pipe from the scope, cover the eyepiece with a layer of saran wrap and place the pipe back on the eyepiece. (One layer of saran wrap is sufficient. You need to do this part with the internal tape in place so the camera is properly aligned.)

Then remove the phone from the case and wrap the phone in saran wrap and place it back into the case. Now the tricky part.... Apply super glue (i used gel type) to the end of the pipe, and then glue the case with the phone in it to the pipe. Align it quickly, before the glue sets... I held it in place with the camera on for about 5 minutes, watching the camera all the time. Then, remove the assembly and the saran wrap. Give the mount a few hours to fully cure, and you're good to go!

Photos are not great, and I didn't focus the scope, but I think you get the idea. (The house in the photo is about 400 yards away.) I store the mount in the scope case when not in use. Of course, you could purchase a mount from ebay for $10-35, but this is quicker and works well enough for me.

Attachments

• IMG-20151215-00057.jpg
      IMG-20151215-00057.jpg
      38.5 KB · Views: 143
    • IMG-20151215-00053.jpg
      IMG-20151215-00053.jpg
      126.8 KB · Views: 153

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members