• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BartExp

Ultimate Member
    Once all the paperwork and 7 day wait is done, can a spouse (or anybody) transport a gun that is not "registered" to them?

My wife technically bought the handgun. After we pick it up. Could I take it to the range on my own? This sounds nitpicky, but just trying to understand.

Mr H

Unincited Co-Conservative
    As long as the person doing the transporting is doing so with the knowledge/permission of the owner (good form, at the very least), and they are not otherwise prohibited from possessing a firearm, then yes.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    As long as you aren't lending to someone who you know, or the courts can prove should have known, they are prohibited then you are fine lending someone a gun.

There was a case where a city officer allowed someone to "borrow" one of his firearms for 5 years something insane and the gun was used in a shooting. Courts ruled you can lend someone a firearm.

So in short...if you aren't a prohibited person yes your wife can lend you her gun.

Make sure you follow the transport laws...unloaded, in an holster or case, and going to one of the legal destinations.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Once all the paperwork and 7 day wait is done, can a spouse (or anybody) transport a gun that is not "registered" to them?

My wife technically bought the handgun. After we pick it up. Could I take it to the range on my own? This sounds nitpicky, but just trying to understand.

Do you have an HQL?

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Yes. We both have HQLs. This is "our" first gun, but I wasn't going to be in town at the end of the 7 days to pick up. So, she bought it in her name.

Thanks for all the replies.

Just be sure she doesn't "transfer" it to you without going through the 77R and the waiting process. See Chow v. State, 903 A.2d 388, 407 (Md. 2006)

BartExp

Ultimate Member
    Just be sure she doesn't "transfer" it to you without going through the 77R and the waiting process. See Chow v. State, 903 A.2d 388, 407 (Md. 2006)

Thanks for the heads up.

Based on the conclusion in the case, I think I am OK to borrow it. Now if on Christmas, she wraps it up and gives it to me as a gift, that equates to a transfer and 77R would be required.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    You're not implying that one must have an HQL to be loaned a handgun for a short period, are you? If so, 'splain me that.

The HQL statute, Section 5-117.1(c), states that “[a] person may purchase, rent, or receive a handgun” only if they have an HQL. It does not define receive. In federal law, receive is defined as even temporary possession. The MSP refused to define receive when asked to do so by MSI. No one knows for sure what "receive" means, which is the essence of a Constitutional violation under the Due Process clause. And no, I don't trust the prosecutor. This is one of the issues now pending in MSI's HQL suit in federal court.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Thanks for the heads up.

Based on the conclusion in the case, I think I am OK to borrow it. Now if on Christmas, she wraps it up and gives it to me as a gift, that equates to a transfer and 77R would be required.

right, and any other type of permanent transfer of ownership.

hillbilly grandpa

Jan 26, 2013
    Arnold
    The HQL statute, Section 5-117.1(c), states that “[a] person may purchase, rent, or receive a handgun” only if they have an HQL. It does not define receive. In federal law, receive is defined as even temporary possession. The MSP refused to define receive when asked to do so by MSI. No one knows for sure what "receive" means, which is the essence of a Constitutional violation under the Due Process clause. And no, I don't trust the prosecutor. This is one of the issues now pending in MSI's HQL suit in federal court.

Thanks for your insights. Now I bin 'splained.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Thanks for the heads up.

But she may not give you possession of it until after the 77r 7 day wait, duh.

steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    that reminds me, I think my wife has a handgun in her name that I need to get transferred to me, but I could be wrong. is there any way for me to determine if its in her name or mine?

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    that reminds me, I think my wife has a handgun in her name that I need to get transferred to me, but I could be wrong. is there any way for me to determine if its in her name or mine?

Why would you want to take your wife's handgun from her? Buy yourself one. I transferred a handgun TO my wife before this hql ******** kicked in. It was one I bought for previously but I did a gift transfer at MSP barracks so she would be grandfathered from some of the requirements.

BartExp

Ultimate Member
    Why would you want to take your wife's handgun from her? Buy yourself one. I transferred a handgun TO my wife before this hql ******** kicked in. It was one I bought for previously but I did a gift transfer at MSP barracks so she would be grandfathered from some of the requirements.

My question was more along the lines of if she was at work and I took hers and mine to the range.

steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy

My wife and I have been married for 39 years, and everything in our house is shared between us, including what guns WE own. But the idiotic MD laws don't seem to view it that way. I am sure we have both filled out paperwork for the few guns we have (prior to 2013), some of which I gravitate towards and some she prefers, regardless of who's name is on the paperwork. was just thinking I might do the paperwork so they line up with who shoots them most. BGOS? probably... I went ahead and got my HQL but she has not yet so I know she needs that before we xfer anything around.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    But she may not give you possession of it until after the 77r 7 day wait, duh.
    Not addressing you, S, but using your post to launch off of as others have said the same here. I thought Maryland still allows immediate transfers to spouses and other close family members, and the 77R had to be filed within 5 days of the transfer. I'll look for the bit of code when I'm on the laptop and have time.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom