• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I have just gotten a Bell and Carlson stock for my remington 700 that has been spray painted Camo. I believe it used to be black and want it back to the factory color. Does anyone know a way to remove the spray painted finish without screwing up the factory finish underneath?

I have some stuff at work called paint and gasket remover(spray) but it is extremely aggressive. I used it on a savage stock that had been painted and it literally melted the buttpad. However it did remove the paint quickly and easily.

Suggestions? Keep in mind that the finish of the polymer is not totally smooth and has a textured feel to it.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Honestly, after owning a couple of B&C stocks myself - if it's painted a color you don't like. Respray it in a color you will like.

Less worry of damaging anything.

Rednekrebel

Apr 9, 2007
    Edgemere
    Best stuff on the world is Motsenbockers Lift Off for spray paint graffiti. I had a tac-15 that had a home done paint job on it. Looked horrible. I used this stuff with great success. Not to strong. Used it in the house. Did not affect any of the crossbow. Didn't effect magpul grip, magpul stock, scope or anything.

I'd add a picture of it but can't figure out how to on phone.

Bought it at Home Depot.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    Best stuff on the world is Motsenbockers Lift Off for spray paint graffiti. I had a tac-15 that had a home done paint job on it. Looked horrible. I used this stuff with great success. Not to strong. Used it in the house. Did not affect any of the crossbow. Didn't effect magpul grip, magpul stock, scope or anything.

I'd add a picture of it but can't figure out how to on phone.

Bought it at Home Depot.

Maybe ill look into it tomorrow. If it doesn't work then no harm done. I'll just refinish it desert tan with webbing.

Rednekrebel

Apr 9, 2007
    Edgemere
    Here's what the bottle looks like.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      66 KB · Views: 217

vin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    I'd try denatured alcohol and aggressive rubbing with a rag. Start simple and with less aggressive chemicals. I'd stay away from acetone, lacquer thinner, naphtha, mek, and xylene (goof off) if possible. I've seen most, if not all of those damage various plastics. I've actually used mek to glue clear plexiglass together - worked surprisingly well.

Jul 1, 2012
    I'd try denatured alcohol and aggressive rubbing with a rag. Start simple and with less aggressive chemicals. I'd stay away from acetone, lacquer thinner, naphtha, mek, and xylene (goof off) if possible. I've seen most, if not all of those damage various plastics. I've actually used mek to glue clear plexiglass together - worked surprisingly well.

Yeah, Dad used to use MEK as a "wicking" liquid cement for building scale plastic models, especially good for clear parts like canopies.
    Great stuff for that purpose, although now I know why I was always dizzy when as a kid I sat watching him (it was the '60's, man).
    We've used it in the shop at work for bonding plexiglass too.

From that I'd infer that it is somewhat detrimental to plastic :)

So is toluene, the key ingredient of the GOOD plastic tube cement.

I'll second that lacquer thinner will eat certain types of plastic too...

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    brake kleen works great too

I am going to clean with brake clean before painting. I always do. Picked up my krypton fusion in fde today and am ordering krylon black webbing spray tonight. Should look great when it is done in a few days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom