• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    $1500 for a true modular 2011 is about the cheapest they've ever been. The prices only go up from there, up to Atlas / SVI money (which can easily exceed $7500).

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    I don't get it. A 1911 9mm. Kind of the worst of both worlds. You get the finicky-ness of a 1911 but without the .45 stopping power.

How is this better than a SAO legion p226?

Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    .45 stopping power
    jVDULsgh.jpg

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County

Dunno who that is. But I was being serious.

Sig P226 Legion SAO has the option of a red dot, capacity of 18-20rds, similar price, single action 4lb trigger, more reliable design and is lighter. Plus is made by a well established company that has and does provide firearms to the military. Springfield Armory is a great company but has never provided weapons to the military (Read the fine print, SA of Genoso, IL has no relation to the US Govt Springfield Armory of the past). And I have no idea who Staccato is other than they are internet famous and didn't exist a few years ago.

Last edited:

beretta_maven

Free Thinking Member
    Jan 2, 2014
    SoMD
    Me too, kinda. I discovered Staccato pistols recently and am lusting after the XC. I have several Springfields, all with trigger upgrades and other safety enhancements, and they're now very good guns. The Staccatos in my safe, however, are pure 72 Virgins level of erotic, and are incredible to shoot. I'd love to see how much better the XC is over the P and the C2.
    I have a Staccato P and just purchased the Staccato C2 because I love the "P" so much. The P actually makes me look like a great shooter, even though I am just above average. I pick up the C2 next week and can't wait to shoot it.

beretta_maven

Free Thinking Member
    Jan 2, 2014
    SoMD

Sig P226 Legion SAO has the option of a red dot, capacity of 18-20rds, similar price, single action 4lb trigger, more reliable design and is lighter. Plus is made by a well established company that has and does provide firearms to the military. Springfield Armory is a great company but has never provided weapons to the military (Read the fine print, SA of Genoso, IL has no relation to the US Govt Springfield Armory of the past). And I have no idea who Staccato is other than they are internet famous and didn't exist a few years ago.
    Staccato is a Texas-based firearms company that used to be called STI, which has been around since 1980. Rumor is that they changed their name to Staccato because doctors are now referring to STDs as STIs, but again, that is just rumor. STI was well known for their outstanding 1911s in particular (I previously owned two) and their competition 2011s. Several years ago they quit making 1911s in favor of 2011s and these guns are about the best in the market. You just have to shoot one to really appreciate them. Of course the down side is that they are pricey, but even good 1911s are going to cost good money. The Staccato P runs right around $2k and the optics ready C2 I just bought was $2450 out the door. To pay for it, I am selling my 229 Legion .40 (with 9mm Legion slide, threaded 9mm barrel, and .22 conversion kit) in order to pay for it. These guns are worth it to me.

Last edited:

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Kinda surprised there haven't been more production 2011 pistols by the largest companies. It's really popular in competition, but ruled by only a couple companies. Really liking the 4.25" version, having shot a few STI/Staccatos the shorter slides seem easier to shoot faster.

MDElite

Industry Partner
    Mar 16, 2011
    I'd like to mention that after customers make that leap into Staccato they typically only want to shoot their Staccatos at the range. Not always, but I can't count the amount of times that I've heard that.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    I'd like to mention that after customers make that leap into Staccato they typically only want to shoot their Staccatos at the range. Not always, but I can't count the amount of times that I've heard that.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
    Guilty. Heck, if you had a Porsche in the garage and a Taurus, which one would you want to drive for fun?

Trumpet

Oct 29, 2005

It's the "living under a rock guy" meme, in reference to the "stopping power" comment. With modern defensive ammo, the difference in performance between the two is negligible. Don't get me wrong, I love the .45 too (see avatar), but when you consider the negligible difference and then consider the shootability and capacity of the 9mm, there really isn't much of a choice.

As to the Sig/military contract thing. So what? Military contracts aren't the end all. Heck look at all the recalls and "voluntary upgrades" Sig has issued ( SIG716 DMR, SIG516 Carbon Fiber, SIGM400, P320, Cross, MCX, P365...). The 4.25" barreled Prodigy weighs less than the Sig, has a better grip angle (IMO) and (once again IMO) a decent SA/1911 trigger > any DA/SA trigger.

Staccato is very well established and is approved for use by over several hundred LE agencies including LAPD and the Texas Rangers.

Is the SA going to be a winner? Unless there are some horrendous fudgeups, I think it's a winner.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    It's the "living under a rock guy" meme, in reference to the "stopping power" comment. With modern defensive ammo, the difference in performance between the two is negligible. Don't get me wrong, I love the .45 too (see avatar), but when you consider the negligible difference and then consider the shootability and capacity of the 9mm, there really isn't much of a choice.

As to the Sig/military contract thing. So what? Military contracts aren't the end all. Heck look at all the recalls and "voluntary upgrades" Sig has issued ( SIG716 DMR, SIG516 Carbon Fiber, SIGM400, P320, Cross, MCX, P365...). The 4.25" barreled Prodigy weighs less than the Sig, has a better grip angle (IMO) and (once again IMO) a decent SA/1911 trigger > any DA/SA trigger.

Staccato is very well established and is approved for use by over several hundred LE agencies including LAPD and the Texas Rangers.

Is the SA going to be a winner? Unless there are some horrendous fudgeups, I think it's a winner.

Ah. got the meme now.

Couple things:
    I said P226 Legion SAO. The single action only p226 that has a very nice 4lb sao trigger that is better than some stock 1911 triggers.

The p226 is 33oz with stainless slide and alloy frame. Springfield states that the Prodigy with a steel frame and slide and heavy bull barrel weights 32.5oz. If you believe that I have a bridge to sell you.

So since triggers are similar, price is similar, capacity is similar, ergos are subjective, we are down to reliability.....anyone ever had a 1911 jam on them? So I say again, I don't see the advantage of this over a legion 226 sao. (also, the ergos of the legion p series pistols are much much better than the originals)

Last edited:

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    If I were going to pay buku bucks for a 1911 type, it would be a Dan Wesson in 10 mm.
    I already did that, got a sweet deal on it because a local small dealer in Vienna posted his cost list and said he'd sell anything on it for 10% over his cost. MSRP on Dan Wessons at the time were at a considerable markup.

Anyway, this makes me really miss the Quantico Tactical/Proven Arms store here. They always had the latest and greatest from SA at discount prices. I already have a double stack 1911 and two 2011s. It would be nice to add a nice, mid-range priced pistol like this to the stable.

Trumpet

Oct 29, 2005
    Ah. got the meme now.

Couple things:
    I said P226 Legion SAO. The single action only p226 that has a very nice 4lb sao trigger that is better than some stock 1911 triggers.

The p226 is 33oz with stainless slide and alloy frame. Springfield states that the Prodigy with a steel frame and slide and heavy bull barrel weights 32.5oz. If you believe that I have a bridge to sell you.

So since triggers are similar, price is similar, capacity is similar, ergos are subjective, we are down to reliability.....anyone ever had a 1911 jam on them? So I say again, I don't see the advantage of this over a legion 226 sao. (also, the ergos of the legion p series pistols are much much better than the originals)

Per Sig's website, the Legion SAO is 34 oz. Why would you NOT believe the Prodigy is 32.5 oz? You are aware the frame on a 2011-type isn't like a 1911 or Para-ord style, right?

In the end, it comes down to personal preference with triggers and ergos. I prefer the lower bore axis of a 1911/2011 style and a "straight pull" instead of a "hinged" trigger. The military contract point is moot/marketing since neither of these pistols is issued. The cheapest I've seen for the Sig is $1299. The Prodigy MSRP is $1500-ish, but people are already getting them from retailers for less than that. Sig comes with 3 15-rounders, the SA with 1-17 and 1-20.

As to the jamming, EVERY gun jams at some point and is usually improved upon by the manufacturer as time goes on (same as ergos like Sig). I've had Sigs, Glocks, and 1911s jam on me, none more than any other. Another moot point.

We get it. You love your Sig and it is an awesome pistol, but more choices in the market and competition are good.

Just avoid the Sig 9mm ammo. It's been recalled.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    I don't get it. A 1911 9mm. Kind of the worst of both worlds. You get the finicky-ness of a 1911 but without the .45 stopping power.

How is this better than a SAO legion p226?
    Where did ANYONE say that it was supposed to be “better” than a 226 Legion? Why can’t people ever.......never mind (retracted). Just tiresome.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    Per Sig's website, the Legion SAO is 34 oz. Why would you NOT believe the Prodigy is 32.5 oz? You are aware the frame on a 2011-type isn't like a 1911 or Para-ord style, right?

In the end, it comes down to personal preference with triggers and ergos. I prefer the lower bore axis of a 1911/2011 style and a "straight pull" instead of a "hinged" trigger. The military contract point is moot/marketing since neither of these pistols is issued. The cheapest I've seen for the Sig is $1299. The Prodigy MSRP is $1500-ish, but people are already getting them from retailers for less than that. Sig comes with 3 15-rounders, the SA with 1-17 and 1-20.

As to the jamming, EVERY gun jams at some point and is usually improved upon by the manufacturer as time goes on (same as ergos like Sig). I've had Sigs, Glocks, and 1911s jam on me, none more than any other. Another moot point.

We get it. You love your Sig and it is an awesome pistol, but more choices in the market and competition are good.

Just avoid the Sig 9mm ammo. It's been recalled.

Where did ANYONE say that it was supposed to be “better” than a 226 Legion? Why can’t people ever.......never mind (retracted). Just tiresome.

No one. I asked the question: What measureable reason would someone choose this over a SAO P226, (or any other double stack 9) because it seems to me that STI and SA are solving a problem that doesn't exist, and have created a pistol that may be less reliable (1911 AND polymer bolt on grip module).

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    No one. I asked the question: What measureable reason would someone choose this over a SAO P226, (or any other double stack 9) because it seems to me that STI and SA are solving a problem that doesn't exist, and have created a pistol that may be less reliable (1911 AND polymer bolt on grip module).
    Why pick ANY pistol over the SAO P226? Literally MILLIONS of guns out there that aren’t Sig P226 SAO Legions. Silly fools I suppose.

Trumpet

Oct 29, 2005

Measurable reason? Better trigger, higher capacity, lighter, aftermarket support etc. STI/Staccato has been solving the "problem that doesn't exist" (improving ergos, modular frame, more ammo in less space, recoil reduction...) since 1993, and the company has been around since 1980. If that's new to you, how did you manage to find the internet?

Now granted the SA isn't a Staccato/STI, but it's pretty clearly modeled pretty damn closely and the 2011 platform.

Anyway, if SA can quickly remedy any "bugs" that present themselves, as they do with most manufacturers' first releases (*cough...Sig recalls), Staccato might have something to sweat about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom